Maine not impressed with NU???

Foppa

Why in the hell did I start this.

Give credit where it is due. Something Nebraska fans never seem to understand. We whine when we are not in the top 25, even though we do not belong in the top 50. We whine east coast bias, west coast bias, media bias. But let a kid make a statement he doe not think he will be intimidated and we come down like a bunch of banshees on him, his program and now it seems anyone his team has played.

I have attended games at Michigan, Ohio State, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Alabama, BYU, Notre Dame, Penn State, USC, UCLA, Wisconsin, Rose Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Cotton Bowl and a number of other places besides Nebraska. In honesty Tennesse was the noisest, LSU the unfriendliest, Cotton Bowl the dirtiest, with Orange Bowl close second.

Our stadium is good and we have good fans, but there are noisier places. I have never been to a Montana game, but I will make an effort to go this year. Our intimidating stadium was created by major butt beatings and few losses at home. Normally because we had a creampuff schedule at home for many years if the truth was known. Fans, noise, or stadiums do not win games. Todays athletes understand one thing, they are intimidated by one thing. Bigger, better, faster, smarter, stronger, meaner, well coached athletes. If you do not have those things it does not make a tinkers damn how noisey you think you are. Win the games like we did in the past and we will have an intimidating stadium. We are not there yet, but could be in the next couple of years..

Holy cow guys, this thread got pretty rediculus. Some guy on Maine said that Montana was good preperation as far as atmosphere, which may be true on a purely noised based stand point, but Montana doesnt have a 6'6'' 280 lb defensive end, and that is what we should respond too. I have alot of respect for Montana because they run a top notch program in a pretty poor locale for dominating football, but that has nothing to do with what this Maine player said. Comparing Nebraska to Montana is ludicris. Not because of how loud the stadium is, but because to put Montana on the same level as Nebraska is like saying a minor league team is on the same level as the Atlanta Braves or something. You cant make a comment like that without saying something about how you feel about the integrity of the team in question, whether implied or not. This is not about dissing Montana football, it is about restoring pride amongst ourselves again in our team and fear in the minds of our opponets, and that requires a mindset of domination in both the minds of our players and our fans.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records (2003), the loudest crowd noise at a football game was 128.7 dB, recorded at Mile High Stadium in Denver during a Broncos game.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. :lol:

GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!! :clap:clap

You know what, my Dad went to a Chiefs/Broncos game at Arrowhead, and he said the only time he'd seen fans like those was at Memorial. Now, Broncomaniancs are pretty damn good fans and we can make our share of noise, but if there is one pro team with better fans, it's you guys.

i dont know why evryone thinks we are comparing football programs. Thats not what i did earlier. As far as football goes montana would be destroyed by nebraska. no one in montana will argue that. what will be argued though is how loud stadiums can be. wash-griz stadium simply put is built for noise. with the surrounding enviroment. think of it this way. if you walk on the prairie and yell nothing happens. but if you walk in to a canyon or a cave where all sides are surrounded noise echoes thus making for not only a louder sound but it also carries for a longer period of time. wash-griz stadium is a perfect example with all sides surrounded but up. Its not possible for 23,000 fans to be louder than 75,000 by themselves but given the right enviroment its more than possible to be just as loud. the 2 earlier articles say as much read them. heck even do a little research on the decible levels yourself instead of arguing blindly. than if you find we were wrong show it to us. if im wrong ill shut up. but so far the best argument anyone has provided from the huskers is "its just not possible" Look it up you may be suprised

I could care less about noise, fans, stadiums. I want talent, wins and respect. I don't want to listen to the SC fans talk about how bad our team is. I don't want to listen to Oklahoma fans running their poo on us.

I respect domination, loyalty, determination, confidence whether it be a young player from Maine, Nebraska or Montana.

Montana is a great team as proven by their past record.

I thank their fans for coming to this site and tying to teach us a little about their stadium. From the information they have provided it appears they are right. Give credit where credit is due. If we have numbers to prove them wrong post them. We have never been considered a tough crowd. Just a great football venue. A great place to watch a game. Nebraska has never been considered a hostile or vicious place to play. A place where the team may hand your butt to you but the fans are considered knowledgeable and good sports. Personally I like that reputation.

Holy cow guys, this thread got pretty rediculus. Some guy on Maine said that Montana was good preperation as far as atmosphere, which may be true on a purely noised based stand point, but Montana doesnt have a 6'6'' 280 lb defensive end, and that is what we should respond too. I have alot of respect for Montana because they run a top notch program in a pretty poor locale for dominating football, but that has nothing to do with what this Maine player said. Comparing Nebraska to Montana is ludicris. Not because of how loud the stadium is, but because to put Montana on the same level as Nebraska is like saying a minor league team is on the same level as the Atlanta Braves or something. You cant make a comment like that without saying something about how you feel about the integrity of the team in question, whether implied or not. This is not about dissing Montana football, it is about restoring pride amongst ourselves again in our team and fear in the minds of our opponets, and that requires a mindset of domination in both the minds of our players and our fans.

Poor locale for a dominating football program?

We're currently the best 1AA team in football. We've been to the playoffs every year since 1993 and we've played in 5 national championship games in the last 10 years, not too many 1A teams can even say that. Most of our players are either Montana kids, or from surrounding states, so to say we're a poor locale is wrong.

2nd - the gameday experience, ours is unique, I cannot compare it to NU since I've never been but here's some of the things we enjoy every home game;

1. Our stadium is tucked against two smaller mountains, the sound bounces off of them, and there is a canyon between them that has famously blown a westward wind across the field causing many teams to miss fieldgoals and extra points.

2. Our stadium is 100 yards from a river, you could flyfish in the early morning, tailgate for the rest, and walk right into the game.

3. We have the two time Capitol One National Mascot, Monte (2002 and 2004). He is the most entertaining college mascot in the US, hands down.

4. Our pre game starts with skydivers landing on the field. Then Monte, our mascot, usually rides out onto the field in a Victory Motorcycle, reving the engine over the crowd. Other times he's come out in a limo, or a bentley.

5. Since our new stadium was built in 1986 (remodeled in 1995, and 2003 to add more seats, we also had many upgrades throughout that time as well) our home record is 120 - 16

So we're damn proud of what we've got up here, as you can see by the amount of people that have jumped up and defended UM on this board.

Well though we might want to defend ourselves so here it is if it hasn't been posted.

Nebraska Thread

They love their football and now apparently dislike NU.  Go for it and have fun

That thread is hilarious. It's pretty funny that Montana kids think there is nothing going on in Nebraska, even though there are about twice as many people in the Omaha metro area than there are in their entire state. Most give some props to the Huskers for what has been done here. Some of their members said that they need not talk of fan support when their stadium is half full after half time and the drunk tank is fully stocked. I have respect for Montana...AS A DIVISION I-AA program. The stadium is loud, well so is ours. BFD.

Yawn.... :huh:

Wow, I started a thread about a Maine player being unimpressed with NU, and I come back and I see:

Guiness Book of World Records

Denver Broncos

Goats

University of MONTANA posters ALL OVER THE PLACE?!?!

Well...Que Sera, Sera! :wasted:rollin

Geez,

You ever say one thing to your wife and she takes it totally the wrong way? The next thing you know everybody is ticked over some stupid insignificant comment. Look, all the kid from Maine said was MT is a loud freaking place. He didn't say MT would beat NU. We don't believe that either. You guys will thrash Maine. And you guys goin 0-11? that guy should be slapped that's just stupid. We will thrash Fort Lewis College, then we will get beat by Oregon.

It comes down to this. NU has awesome football tradition, atmoshphere and Memorial is loud. MT has has football tradition, great atmosphere and WA-Griz is loud. Great fans on both sides. Rumor has it we had an outside chance to play you guys a couple of years ago but we backed out in fear of getting embarrassed and dinged up. (don't know if it is true). Nuff' said.

Good luck this year, hope you keep an eye on the Griz. :cheers

BTW-Do y'all have an opinion on a playoff system? The BCS sucks. We LOVE the playoffs. Best time of the year. It's like March Madness with snow.

"If you can talk on Sunday, then you wasted you're ticket on Saturday."

Geez,

You ever say one thing to your wife and she takes it totally the wrong way? The next thing you know everybody is ticked over some stupid insignificant comment. Look, all the kid from Maine said was MT is a loud freaking place. He didn't say MT would beat NU. We don't believe that either. You guys will thrash Maine. And you guys goin 0-11? that guy should be slapped that's just stupid. We will thrash Fort Lewis College, then we will get beat by Oregon.

It comes down to this. NU has awesome football tradition, atmoshphere and Memorial is loud. MT has has football tradition, great atmosphere and WA-Griz is loud. Great fans on both sides. Rumor has it we had an outside chance to play you guys a couple of years ago but we backed out in fear of getting embarrassed and dinged up. (don't know if it is true). Nuff' said.

Good luck this year, hope you keep an eye on the Griz. :cheers

BTW-Do y'all have an opinion on a playoff system? The BCS sucks. We LOVE the playoffs. Best time of the year. It's like March Madness with snow.

"If you can talk on Sunday, then you wasted you're ticket on Saturday."

I'm with ya on the playoffs man. I follow UNC here where I live and before they moved to 1-AA they were in the playoffs every year and I loved it. Now just gotta wait to get good enough to get in AA playoffs. :)

Btw, see you guys next year!