Maine not impressed with NU???

Foppa

"Actually, I think Montana was the loudest place I've ever played," Knox said. "I never expected to be playing at Nebraska. It won't be mind-blowing."

Knox is a safety/linebacker for Maine.

Maybe Nebraska needs to change his mind for him, huh? :thumbs

:lol: Yeah I hear those montana games are real loud, maybe the sheep getting stooped are but other than that I just dont hear many talk about the crowd noise in Montana.

homeboy is in for a real treat i hope he brings some ear plugs :horns2

There are a few other people who agree with the Maine player:

Joe Gardi, coach of Hofstra:

Any college football fan worth his or her salt knows The Swamp in Florida is "the loudest, most obnoxious and notorious piece of real estate in college football"; that a game at Notre Dame is an almost religious experience; that at LSU's Death Valley the crowd can get so loud it once set off the seismograph in the school's geology department.

"I'll tell you what," says Joe Gardi, who has brought his Hofstra Pride to Missoula three times (and, he's proud to say, won once). "I coached in the NFL (with the New York Jets) for 10 years and I know what crowd noise is. I coached at Maryland, I played at Maryland in 19-none-of-your-business, I've played at Texas, Auburn, LSU, Clemson, in some of the greatest stadiums in the country. I mean, at LSU they used to prod the tiger with an electric shock to get him to roar when you came on the field, and it was just unbelievable to a visiting player."

And?

"In comparison, Montana is a tougher place to play."

Gardi explains.

"Because it's so closed in. The noise is so confined. My granddaughter got so scared in that place - she was 7 years old - she never let go of her mother for the whole first quarter.

Gardi Quote

and from the USA today (before the stadium was expanded):

Amplify their noise in the concrete bowl that's Washington-Grizzly Stadium, throw in gusts and swirls of wind out of Hellgate Canyon to the east, add a touch of Montana winter nastiness — particularly when a southern team is in for the playoffs — and it's one of the sport's more daunting venues.

USA Today

Not that it should really make any difference to Husker fans, but after the game when they ask if the crowd intimidated the Maine players don't be surprised if they say they were prepared for it by playing in Montana.

Who invited these clowns anyway? :blink: We were talking about Maine, not Montana. And now all they want to do is talk smack and try to dis a program that, well frankly (except for Frank), can only elevate itself from the position they are currently in.

What gives you the right to come on here and bash our program that has been a benchmark for other collegiate programs for decades? Let me name a few teams where our coaching staff has assisted in developing a solid program so you get somewhat of a grasp as to our impact on College Football. Penn State, Florida (Stevie got a lesson in Husker 101 in 95'), Florida State (Bobby Bowden and Tom Osborne conducted numerous visits with each other), Ohio State, Miami, and LSU to name a few.

Wanna talk trash about our tradition, bring it on. "Tradition" is a pretty powerful word. Might want to do some homework on Nebraska Football and it's tradition throughout the years.

Enscribed on the southwest corner of the stadium structure: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed of the glory. "

Think about it.

0-11, eh.... I am thinking more like 7-4 or 8-3.

A Div-AA fan is trying to school a team from Div-A? Excuse me for a few minutes while i laugh. Sorry but i find it hard to believe montana and its fans could be louder then a highschool team in texas. Is it possible that 23,000 fans can be louder then 78K fans? Not in this world we occupy. Is it possible for 78K fans to outdo 100K fans? Yes because i have bene to games at Nebraska and the rosebowl (100K capacity) and our loud noise still beat them. If you guys had 50K, then i would say maybe, but 23K? I wasn't born yesterday

Nameless-They have to expand their horizons and get out of Montana (or 1AA Football) before they can compare to anything else.

When you know nothing else, well, what else do you compare it to? :blink:

I don't think any of us intended to bash NU's program. I am not a Husker fan, but I do respect the program, the tradition, and the place your team has earned in the college football universe.

The only reason I posted here was to respond to remarks by certain posters that were mean-spirited and ignorant (and somewhat ironically so, since they were actually triggered by the comments of a Maine player, and not by anyone with any ties to Montana). Yes, I realize there were no Montana fans here at the time that you were trying to incite, but I am sure that if you visited our board and found similar barbs being tossed around about Nebraska, you would be similarly offended.

Frankly, I really don't care whose stadium is louder. Yours should be with the number of fans you have, but I do think you'd be surprised if you visited our house. I live on the east coast now and have been to a lot of the major venues in the northeast (e.g. the Carrier Dome, the Patriots-Colts playoff game in New England last year, Michigan Stadium, and a few others), and I can't say that any of the above actually seemed louder than Wa-Griz. Maybe they are, and maybe your house is too, but as a fan sitting in the stands at the other venues I mentioned, it has never seemed to be the case to me.

Anyway -- peace, and here's wishing you a fun and injury-free season.

--GL

Good post grizlaw,

Its just been too long since any football has been played. Everyone is getting a little skittish.

Never been to a game in Montana but worked in there for a week at a DOE dam. Real cold but DAMN big speedgoats.

Good luck with your season also.

Well I really did not want to post in here again but since all the Montana fans came out of the wood work I guess I should defend myself.

I hope we get a crack at Montana one day. I would love for us to visit there stadium and make it quiet again. Although on second thought no. I hate us playing AA teams in the first place. But if we did something tells me your stadium wouldn't be as loud.

0-11 yeah that will be the day. :thumbs

Sheep comments are ignorant but I am glad you got offended at them cause it just makes them that much more funny. I work with some guys from Montana and thats what they joke about all the time. Dont take it personal. I wouldnt if you said all people in Nebraska do is farm or something like that!

Welcome to the board although something tells me you wont be back.

Please get all your fans together and ask your Athletic Director for a game in Lincoln. Something tells me we will never make it out to Montana.

Fighting on the internet is so much fun

:cheers

here is an article about a game i looked on the cornhuskers most of it you can skip. i highlited the pertaining info

BIG WED WAP-UP

I love it when I'm wrong.

As whenever I pick the Huskers to lose.

As I did last week.

My fiendish plan (he-he-he-he) worked to perfection.

I'm 0-4 when I go against the Huskers.

But more importantly, the Huskers are 4-0 in those games.

I love it when I'm wrong.

I've gone against the Huskers only 4 times in the 7 years I've been writing this column. So I will continue to use this technique judiciously, carefully and infrequently. It's an awesome power that must be used for the good of mankind... In the hands of unscrupulous and sinister people, there's no telling what could happen... I will put a lockbox on it and guard it with my Big Red soul...

THE NUMBERS GAME

The number of Husker turnovers Saturday

The number of successful third down conversions by the Husker offense

The number of wins the Huskers need to be bowl eligible (yes I know there's some ########## discussion about an 11 game season versus a 12 game season-forget it. The Huskers will go to a bowl game.)

The number of KC-135 tankers that flew over Memorial Stadium before Saturday's game

The place where the Huskers sit in the BTN division

The average yards per rush the Tigers had Saturday

The number of regular season wins that will likely be needed to secure the BTN for the Huskers

The number of times this season the Huskers have scored on their opening drive.

The number of passes completed by Joe Dailey against the Tigers

The number of Husker home games Husker Dan has been to this year

The number of times Mrs. Husker Dan has been ecstatic that Husker Dan has been out of the house for most of the day...

The average yards per rush for the Huskers Saturday

The number of first downs the Huskers registered in the Missouri game.

Cory Ross' per carry rushing average against the Tigers

The jersey number of Matt Herian who broke his leg during the game.

The number of tackles by Barrett Ruud Saturday

The number of carries Cory Ross had against the Tigers

The total number of passing yardage by Joe Dailey Saturday

The wind speed during the game Saturday

The decibel level of the crowd as they yelled for the Huskers

Cory Ross' rushing total for the game Saturday.

The number of consecutive sellouts at Memorial Stadium

The number of fans in the Stadium Saturday

next piece is an article on the griz

The first quarter. It was no contest. On their first possession, the Griz rampaged down the field and scored on a 3-yard pass to senior Jefferson Heidelberger. The Dukes managed just 2 yards of total offense in the period, compared to 150 for the Griz.

The comeback. We were down, but Ochs threw an 8-yard strike to senior tight end Willie Walden with 7:29 left to play in the third quarter, giving the Griz a 21-17 lead. Sadly, the lead didn’t last.

Washington-Grizzly Stadium. I know this seems odd, but I’m not sure we would have been in the big show without three straight playoff games in the comfy (and loud) confines of Washington-Grizzly Stadium. With the top seeds in our bracket losing (aligning the stars for the Griz), the road to Chattanooga passed through Missoula, and Montana outscored its opponents 137-37 at home. At one point during the Sam Houston game, a decibel meter hit 108 — a level found in the front row of a Metallica concert.

if you want the article it can be found at http://www.umt.edu/urelations/MainHall/0105/I-AA.htm

now day in and day out im sure nebraska is always louder but here is your proof griz sadium can be just as loud and we only had a little over 23,000 compared to you decibel readibng of 100 when you had 77,600.

its not that our fans are louder because we all know montana fans are not any louder than other fans. our loudness as stated before has everything to do with our surrounding enviroment. we have mountains very closely surrounding all four sides of the area. when the stadium gets going the sound bounces off the mountains like a pingpong ball on top on that missoula montana is litterally in a bowl. or vally. only place for noise to go is up

if we had 77,000 fans in missoula the decibel would be like 250 because of the area

If you are basing your decibel readings from last year you probably have us beat. There wasn't much to cheer about in 04'.

Turn your meter on this year and I bet the reading will be much different.

Like I posted three posts ago, I don't have anything against Montana or it's football. When talking 1AA football, Montana always comes up because they are a great team. No one here doubts that (atleast I don't). ;)

im sure your more than correct the only point was someone said earlier there was no possible way montana could be as loud. which isnt entirely true. notice i put an emphasis on entirely because im sure 95 percent of the time nebraska is louder. beside that though the loudest game ever as far as i can find happened in washigton for the huskies or UW which the article stated the decibel reading reached near 130

Thanks for the article, I did not realize Montana was so loud. Never been! But it is hard to imagine noise levels being equal but based on how you guys claim to be inside a mountain and given Memorial Stadium's setup is not the best for noise I suppose it is possible. I just cant read one article and believe. We could have been playing W. Illnois the day of the reading and you guys your rival or something.

Any word on becoming a Div 1A school since you guys are dominating those ranks?

well unfortunately there are not many articles on decibel levels. Usually decibels levels are only metioned if they are pretty loud. as far as the griz going to d1 we play all other sports at d1 but football. but because of the amount of players needed to make a good football team it is harder to recruit top notch talent when our state resident numbers are less than alot of cities. Granted we have had some real good football players come out of monana its just harder to recruit as many talented players being the amount of players to look at is significantly less. and the apeal for out of state players to come to cold ass montana is not very high.

im sure your more than correct the only point was someone said earlier there was no possible way montana could be as loud. which isnt entirely true. notice i put an emphasis on entirely because im sure 95 percent of the time nebraska is louder. beside that though the loudest game ever as far as i can find happened in washigton for the huskies or UW which the article stated the decibel reading reached near 130

130? That's just insane! The loudest I have ever heard was at the metrodome last year for the Twins-Yankees playoff game and hearing 63,000 people scream YANKEES SUCK for about 3 minutes during a pitching change. To no avail though, the Twins lost. <_<

This is the most stupidest nonsense thread in the history of all threads. EVER. Shoot, the thread about the 5 star tuba player is better. Who care if some Montana fans think their little stadium is louder then ours (which it isn't).

I'm gonna have to agree with Pillen on this one.

I'm certain that the Maine player meant no disrespect and am in fact flattered that he was so impressed with the noise at Washington Griz stadium. I certainly am not one to disrespect the storied tradition of Husker football (in fact when I think of college football rivalries, it's not USC-ND, Mich-OSU or Fu-FSU that first comes to mind - It's Nebraska-Oklahoma). However, The implication that the Washington Griz experience is good preparation for Memorial stadium may be closer to the truth than one might imagine.

To state or imply that 23000 fans can produce as much volume as 70000 fans is indeed ridiculous, this is objectively unassailable. The subjective experience however is a different matter.

Sound by its nature is omnidirectional and subject to such environmental influence as wind, heat, and enclosure (size, shape, and composition) design.

Much of the sound volume generated in Memorial stadium rises and dissipates in the air above and outside of the stadium. Any acoustic volume rising above Washington Griz is reflected off of the surrounding mountains and directed back into the parabolic enclosure of the stadium and focused on the field (focal point).

In real numbers - measured volume at the Maine game was 115db (not our loudest - That's reserved for the "Brawl of the wild")

By comparison: During an LSU game in 2003 sound levels were recorded at 122 decibels. it is of note that the crowd size for that game was 92,131.

Your average hard rock concert measures 120 dB.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records (2003), the loudest crowd noise at a football game was 128.7 dB, recorded at Mile High Stadium in Denver during a Broncos game.

The point is that both venues (Memorial & WaGriz) are LOUD.

As a point of reference consider:

Points of Reference *measured in dBA or decibels

0 The softest sound a person can hear with normal hearing

10 normal breathing

20 whispering at 5 feet

30 soft whisper

50 rainfall

60 normal conversation

110 shouting in ear

120 thunder

The difference in "on field" volume is equivalent to a whisper at 5 feet....relatively inconsequential.

Experts agree that continued exposure to noise above 85 dBA over time, will cause hearing loss. ..... At 110 dBA, the maximum exposure time is one minute and 29 seconds.

In other words, after 90 seconds it probably sounds about the same -Just LOUD!

Anyway, Best of luck this year.