For what its worth, Callahan story in the NY Times

A guy I work with that played for Billy C. all 4 years said that he was a really super smart nice guy that lacked the skills it takes to be a Manager. What he is doing now is exactly what he is great at and should have been contempt doing all along. He is one of the best assistant coaches in the NFL right now and has been his whole career. In my opinion he never should have tried to be a Head Coach at any level, but ego gets in the way and people always think they can achieve the next step even if they shouldn’t.

I also don’t have a problem with the “troat slash” or the “f’n hillbillies” thing. Also I thought I saw someplace that the removing of the pictures and such was all Pud’s idea.

A guy I work with that played for Billy C. all 4 years said that he was a really super smart nice guy that lacked the skills it takes to be a Manager. What he is doing now is exactly what he is great at and should have been contempt doing all along. He is one of the best assistant coaches in the NFL right now and has been his whole career. In my opinion he never should have tried to be a Head Coach at any level, but ego gets in the way and people always think they can achieve the next step even if they shouldn’t.

I also don’t have a problem with the “troat slash” or the “f’n hillbillies” thing. Also I thought I saw someplace that the removing of the pictures and such was all Pud’s idea.

I think the throat slash and hillbillies stuff was WAY blown out of proportion, as was Callahan's "failure" to wear Husker gear to a presser, and many other things. For all of Callahan's faults while being here, those were just absurd to pile on his plate. I mean, they are hillbillies!

I agree wholeheartedly that he is a very good assistant in the NFL. I don't have a problem with him trying his hand at HC somewhere - you never know if you're qualified unless you take a chance. But as I've said, I just wish he hadn't tried his hand as a college HC here.

Such is life.

None of us found out that Callahan would be a poor fit until the 2007 season. I wouldn't even say it was a mistake by any means. What other options were out there for us? This was a step in the process for Nebraska and we're here now...maybe not the easiest step, but it wasn't a disastrous one either.

i wouldnt say that..... it seemed like a bad fit from the start. I stilled tried to support him since that was the hand our state was dealt.... but even when we had our good year it felt "dirty"

but really who would he have hired? Cally was not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick from what i remember... it was, what is was back then... seemed like no one wanted to touch this job with a 10' pole after what happened to Solich.

Exactly. Callahan was the 4th pick if I remember right. Pederson was like that sad, sad guy who asked about every girl at the dance to dance and getting shot down. It was just sad and I knew whoever we got wouldn't be good for us.

Exactly. Callahan was the 4th pick if I remember right. Pederson was like that sad, sad guy who asked about every girl at the dance to dance and getting shot down. It was just sad and I knew whoever we got wouldn't be good for us.

I think it went something like this:

The Stache

Houston Nutt

Mike Zimmer

Al Saunders

After seeing what he has done at Pitt The Stache would have been alright, Nutt would have been weird and probably a mess, Zimmer would have been alright because he is a defensive guy and Saunders was a reach and I don’t think he would have been very good either.