For what its worth, Callahan story in the NY Times

His actions portrayed an entirely different opinion of the Huskers.

Riiiiight......

It wasn't the fans' fault that Callahan shut out former players and coaches.

That's why Milt Tenopir went to so many practices eh? That's why Callahan said former players and coaches were welcome any time.

People forget that there were former players on both sides of the fence, some said they felt welcome and others said they didn't feel welcome.

Riiiiight......

I'm glad you agree. Point closed.

That's why Milt Tenopir went to so many practices eh? That's why Callahan said former players and coaches were welcome any time.

People forget that there were former players on both sides of the fence, some said they felt welcome and others said they didn't feel welcome.

Listen, if you want to deny that the overwhelming majority of former players and coaches were flat-out denied access to Callahan's program, that's a head-in-the-sand opinion I'm not going to try to dissuade you from. But that's the reality of the situation. Time after time I heard former players decrying Callahan's closed-door attitude on show after show on the radio. Anecdotal instances of one or two players or coaches brought in here or there, or players/coaches brought in for celebrations, do not preclude the fact that Callahan cut ties to the past.

This is a reality borne out by the opinions of many, many players and coaches. And again, don't tell me what Callahan said. His talk was very clearly very cheap. The proof was in his actions.

One more thing - Milt Tenopir's family was a friend of my uncle. Tenopirs lived just a few hundred yards from my grandparents' farm. Milt Tenopir wasn't given a golden ticket to enter Memorial Stadium whenever he wished during the Callahan era. That's another bit of revisionist history that I can personally refute.

In honesty, I do not believe that was all on BC's head. Peterson closed the doors to the outside, security tripled, but alas for good reason. Some seem to forget that.

VaTech changed the landscape of college campuses. I think a little overboard on ours, but still that was the major reason.

BC caught more than his fair share of the wrath, that should have been directed at Petersen.

I know both of them, and I would offer my hand to BC anytime, but the other one could lay dying in the street, and I might just stop to watch. He was the main problem here. His arrogance was the main culprit.

Saying that Bo received the same level of support that BC did is quite aways off. Most hated the idea of the West Coast Offense instantly, did not like his choice for a DC in Cosgrove.

Bo was welcomed with open arms when he returned. He was touted as Coach Osbornes choice. Some how most bought that and still do. Not quite as true as some would like to believe, but it has turned out the way we all wanted it to.

I was against Bo moreso than most on the board, as I knew of some of the things that went on during his final days as interim head coach. Things that I felt were done to damage the program. But Bo has a great admirer in the state of Texas, and thankfully that individual saw more than I did. It was decided long before the interview even took place. The money was in place to terminate the others and to pay the salary desired. Deal done. Initially I did not like how it was done and felt that Bo would be major problems, but I have come to realize he is just what we needed. I have fully endoresed him, and am very glad some were much smarter than I was.

Failure is something most of us face. Failing is not a reason for hatred. Just time to move on and wish them luck. It appears that Ryan feels BC has done his job, calling him the best OLine coach in America.

Bo has landed on his feet and done a tremendous job where ever he has gone. BC seems more fit to be a position coach or offensive coordinator, but I am glad to hear he comes to work with a smile on his face, and that his life is working out the way people's lives should.

In honesty, I do not believe that was all on BC's head. Peterson closed the doors to the outside, security tripled, but alas for good reason. Some seem to forget that.

People who think it was 'all Callahan' who shut out former players and coaches obviously don't know what they are talking about. Well said.

Full Story

At Nebraska, he coached the team that snapped the program’s streak of 35 consecutive bowl appearances in 2004. His tenure there helped lead to the fall of a once-proud program. It was marked by an unsuccessful switch to the more complicated, pro-style West Coast offense; by what former players considered his disregard for the college’s tradition; and by the faith he put in his defensive coordinator, his good friend Kevin Cosgrove, despite the continued failings of the defense.

When Callahan looks back, which is rarely, he sees positives mixed with disappointments. He said he would have done things differently, in philosophy and regimen, but declined to elaborate.

Mostly, Callahan reiterated that he has moved on. Slauson is a testament to that. He played for Callahan at Nebraska, but with the Jets, their relationship has changed. Slauson said he learned more from Callahan in the past six months than he had ever learned, in anything, including in his four years at Nebraska.

Slauson also said Callahan appeared more contented and more relaxed. He described a coach who works on scouting reports until 3 a.m. yet smiles the next morning, a smile that seemed banished at Nebraska.

This was also in the OWH this morning. Interestingly, they left out that first paragraph you posted. I guess they figured we already knew that. ;):moreinteresting

I don't have one bit of sympathy for Callahan! He took everything that made this school stand out from others..threw it out the window...put what he thought would work best into play and when it all fell apart...well he patted himself on the back and laughed all the way to the bank...

I have some good memories of those years. I was at the Alamo Bowl and the 06 TU game and had a great time at both (despite the crappy ending against TU). Heck, 06 was the only year I had season tickets. Then I think about the lost year in 07, the arrogance, the stubbornness in regard to the DC position, and the payout.

None of us found out that Callahan would be a poor fit until the 2007 season. I wouldn't even say it was a mistake by any means. What other options were out there for us? This was a step in the process for Nebraska and we're here now...maybe not the easiest step, but it wasn't a disastrous one either.

I knew he was gonna be a poor fit the minute they hired him. I watched him take a Raiders team that was built for the Superbowl, and completely get them there. Then when he did have to face Gruden in the Superbowl, "Chucky" made him look stupid.

Then when I heard he'd been hired, I had a slight hope, but when he comes in, talking about changing the offense, I knew things were going to sh*t the proverbial bed.

I don't feel bad for that S.O.B. in the least. He wanted to change Nebraska to his image, and when he "succeeded" that would of fed his ego even more. The fact that it didn't happen just made him, and the program look stupid.

Riiiiight......

I'm glad you agree. Point closed.

Listen, if you want to deny that the overwhelming majority of former players and coaches were flat-out denied access to Callahan's program, that's a head-in-the-sand opinion I'm not going to try to dissuade you from. But that's the reality of the situation. Time after time I heard former players decrying Callahan's closed-door attitude on show after show on the radio. Anecdotal instances of one or two players or coaches brought in here or there, or players/coaches brought in for celebrations, do not preclude the fact that Callahan cut ties to the past.

This is a reality borne out by the opinions of many, many players and coaches. And again, don't tell me what Callahan said. His talk was very clearly very cheap. The proof was in his actions.

One more thing - Milt Tenopir's family was a friend of my uncle. Tenopirs lived just a few hundred yards from my grandparents' farm. Milt Tenopir wasn't given a golden ticket to enter Memorial Stadium whenever he wished during the Callahan era. That's another bit of revisionist history that I can personally refute.

T.O. always talks about how the first thing he did when he got back was have an employee go through the closet where all of the old memorabilia/pictures had been stored and put them back up in their respective places.

My memories of Callahan? The throat slash, the "f------ hillbillies", the deer-in-headlights look (most notably at Mizzou in 2007), the "well, we have a great team, we keep getting better, we have great fans..." bit on every Bill Callahan show after a big loss, the "crusty old f-----" comment, and Beau Davis...needless to say, my thoughts aren't too great. Granted, I don't live anywhere close to Nebraska so I might be out of the loop on any of the "good" that he accomplished in his time. When that offense did work though, it WORKED.

None of us found out that Callahan would be a poor fit until the 2007 season. I wouldn't even say it was a mistake by any means. What other options were out there for us? This was a step in the process for Nebraska and we're here now...maybe not the easiest step, but it wasn't a disastrous one either.

The biggest mistake was letting Pedersen take the reigns. Here's one option - keep Solich. Do that, and Nebraska doesn't have to "settle" for the 6th or 7th man on the list. More than Callahan trying to mold the program to his liking was the fact that Pedersen got the ball rolling away from our proud tradition when he canned Solich, something he'd been wanting since coming on-board as the AD.

I really think that Callahan looked at the Nebraska job as something beneath him and his talents. I think he thought it would be an easy gig. I doubt he considered it as a final destination. His teams played hard but basically were soft. All things happen for a reason however. Bo might not have been as good of a coach had he not ventured out to other programs but if he had gotten the job back then I think we still might have Turner on board.

I feel bad for calli. the guy took the best job available when he came here. and it was just a bad fit. I think at a different college and a different D coordinator he could have been ok. either way I am glad he is not here anymore.

Agree. Cally worked hard and maintained discipline and academics from all accounts. The guy I blame is Pedey. He's a Nebraska guy and should have known better. Plus his handling of Solich and the 2003 season ending really fractured the fanbase and did Cally no favors.

100% agree Red Denver......you have to allow the coach to run his system. Therefore Pedey should have kept looking