For what its worth, Callahan story in the NY Times

Full Story

At Nebraska, he coached the team that snapped the program’s streak of 35 consecutive bowl appearances in 2004. His tenure there helped lead to the fall of a once-proud program. It was marked by an unsuccessful switch to the more complicated, pro-style West Coast offense; by what former players considered his disregard for the college’s tradition; and by the faith he put in his defensive coordinator, his good friend Kevin Cosgrove, despite the continued failings of the defense.

When Callahan looks back, which is rarely, he sees positives mixed with disappointments. He said he would have done things differently, in philosophy and regimen, but declined to elaborate.

Mostly, Callahan reiterated that he has moved on. Slauson is a testament to that. He played for Callahan at Nebraska, but with the Jets, their relationship has changed. Slauson said he learned more from Callahan in the past six months than he had ever learned, in anything, including in his four years at Nebraska.

Slauson also said Callahan appeared more contented and more relaxed. He described a coach who works on scouting reports until 3 a.m. yet smiles the next morning, a smile that seemed banished at Nebraska.

Full Story

At Nebraska, he coached the team that snapped the program’s streak of 35 consecutive bowl appearances in 2004. His tenure there helped lead to the fall of a once-proud program. It was marked by an unsuccessful switch to the more complicated, pro-style West Coast offense; by what former players considered his disregard for the college’s tradition; and by the faith he put in his defensive coordinator, his good friend Kevin Cosgrove, despite the continued failings of the defense.

When Callahan looks back, which is rarely, he sees positives mixed with disappointments. He said he would have done things differently, in philosophy and regimen, but declined to elaborate.

Mostly, Callahan reiterated that he has moved on. Slauson is a testament to that. He played for Callahan at Nebraska, but with the Jets, their relationship has changed. Slauson said he learned more from Callahan in the past six months than he had ever learned, in anything, including in his four years at Nebraska.

Slauson also said Callahan appeared more contented and more relaxed. He described a coach who works on scouting reports until 3 a.m. yet smiles the next morning, a smile that seemed banished at Nebraska.

I feel bad for calli. the guy took the best job available when he came here. and it was just a bad fit. I think at a different college and a different D coordinator he could have been ok. either way I am glad he is not here anymore.

I feel bad for calli. the guy took the best job available when he came here. and it was just a bad fit. I think at a different college and a different D coordinator he could have been ok. either way I am glad he is not here anymore.

Agree. Cally worked hard and maintained discipline and academics from all accounts. The guy I blame is Pedey. He's a Nebraska guy and should have known better. Plus his handling of Solich and the 2003 season ending really fractured the fanbase and did Cally no favors.

Agree. Cally worked hard and maintained discipline and academics from all accounts. The guy I blame is Pedey. He's a Nebraska guy and should have known better. Plus his handling of Solich and the 2003 season ending really fractured the fanbase and did Cally no favors.

:yeah Pedey mishandled the whole coach thing. BADLY!!!

None of us found out that Callahan would be a poor fit until the 2007 season. I wouldn't even say it was a mistake by any means. What other options were out there for us? This was a step in the process for Nebraska and we're here now...maybe not the easiest step, but it wasn't a disastrous one either.

None of us found out that Callahan would be a poor fit until the 2007 season. I wouldn't even say it was a mistake by any means. What other options were out there for us? This was a step in the process for Nebraska and we're here now...maybe not the easiest step, but it wasn't a disastrous one either.

agreed :snacks:

i wouldnt say that..... it seemed like a bad fit from the start. I stilled tried to support him since that was the hand our state was dealt.... but even when we had our good year it felt "dirty"

Disagree. 10-3 to 5-7 and don't tell me the cupboard was bare. But whatever. Glad he's doing well. Can't say the same thing for pedey.

Pedey may have hired him, but that in no way takes Callahan off the hook. Callahan is just as guilty of being arrogant and burning bridges within the program that ultimately led to the downfall. Former players and athletic department staff will tell you they knew well before the 2007 season that Callahan was a scourge. He's successful in the pros, as an assistant, because thats where his personality type can be not only focused, but contained by even bigger asshats.

I feel no sympathy for, or hate towards, Callahan. Im just glad hes gone.

Yea for as much as I'm going to get roasted for saying this. I believe had Callahan actually had a defensive Co he would have been a legend on campus. He could recruit, he could coach an offense, the only thing he didnt have was a defense. I'm I gald he is gone of course. Pelini is better then he ever was but just a different point of view

i wouldnt say that..... it seemed like a bad fit from the start. I stilled tried to support him since that was the hand our state was dealt.... but even when we had our good year it felt "dirty"

but really who would he have hired? Cally was not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick from what i remember... it was, what is was back then... seemed like no one wanted to touch this job with a 10' pole after what happened to Solich.

Yea for as much as I'm going to get roasted for saying this. I believe had Callahan actually had a defensive Co he would have been a legend on campus. He could recruit, he could coach an offense, the only thing he didnt have was a defense. I'm I gald he is gone of course. Pelini is better then he ever was but just a different point of view

i agree with a lot of what you said. i think calli's attitude was the problem; his confounding lack of respect for tradition, arrogance, stubbornness. he is an nfl guy with an nfl mindset and he just did not mesh here. i had high hopes for him at first, but then just did not understand how he could not figure out the Nebraska way, especially when he had good will. but he was losing and alienating the program, two important no's.

but really who would he have hired? Cally was not the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick from what i remember... it was, what is was back then... seemed like no one wanted to touch this job with a 10' pole after what happened to Solich.

even shamu could see who wee needed to hire

Pelini-Shamu.jpg

We got an honest, hardworking guy who ran an upright ship and gave his all to the program for four years. He's a premiere offensive mind and a skilled recruiter. He didn't fit, but he made some positive changes too and gave us a lot of what we have now, that others were able to take further than he could.

Wasn't all that bad. To qualify this statement, I'm happy as heck we got Bo. I just think the BC/SP hate is maybe a bit unnecessary in some respects.

I mean, had a few things gone differently, BC might still be our HC today. And we wouldn't be as good as we are now with Bo probably, but we also could be a lot worse off.