Best Replacement in 2010

ESPY

A couple days ago, someone posted a poll focused on who would be the hardest to replace (Dillard, Asante, etc). So, let's focus on the other side of that discussion - the guys who will be filling the shoes of exiting '09 seniors.

PJ Smith is my pick. He's set to replace Asante at strong safety, and based on what we saw from him as a redshirt frosh, I think the Pelini bros have another gem who will only add to the dynamic secondary already in place. He may not hit as hard as Asante (yet), but he's an athletic ballhawk with size and speed. Even better, he's already shown signs of noted improvement in Pelini's system.

I'll go with Eric Martin replacing Phillip Dillard. Martin was a beast on special teams last year and the coaches are really high on him. He has a joy out on the field that is uncoachable. If he's even close to living up to the potential, we'll be OK without PhilDill.

I don't remember if I read or just heard this story about EMart, but I eat it up every time I think about his potential. In the California Sr High All-Star game, Carl Pelini watched the game with then-USC head coach Pete Carroll. Both were eyeing the LBs they'd just signed, and every time EMart made a play, Carroll looked at Carl with a face saying "how the hell did I let this guy slip through my fingers?" I don't know about you, but that gets me even more pumped to see what he can do in Dillard's absence.

I'm thinking whoever they replace Turner with will upgrade the position. I agree that PJ Smith will be fine as he kept the status quo whenever he was forced into duty. I'm not as sure about E. Martin. If we ever get into our base defense, he will be a killer middle linebacker, but I'm not as convinced yet that he can replace PD when he is the only backer on D. I'm not so sure he possesses the speed and athleticism needed for pass coverage. I hope he does. It is fun to watch him go down and blow up on kickoffs, but the intangibles he shows for middle linebacker (heart, big hitter) while performing that duty may not be enough.

I'll go with Eric Martin replacing Phillip Dillard. Martin was a beast on special teams last year and the coaches are really high on him. He has a joy out on the field that is uncoachable. If he's even close to living up to the potential, we'll be OK without PhilDill.

I don't remember if I read or just heard this story about EMart, but I eat it up every time I think about his potential. In the California Sr High All-Star game, Carl Pelini watched the game with then-USC head coach Pete Carroll. Both were eyeing the LBs they'd just signed, and every time EMart made a play, Carroll looked at Carl with a face saying "how the hell did I let this guy slip through my fingers?" I don't know about you, but that gets me even more pumped to see what he can do in Dillard's absence.

Yep, I remember that article, too. I think I read that quote from Carl on the LJS. Good stuff.

I agree completely with PJ and I love Eric as much as any player on D but I think it might be another year before we see Mr. Martin starting at MLB. The coaches have said he doesn't know the defense well enough to be the guy out there calling plays. Let's just hope he works hard over the off-season so he does start b/c I can't wait for him to be on the field every play.

I'm also very excited to see if Thad Randle gets any playing time next year.

I have been so excited about Ankrah since the day I watched his film. I really think this guys is going to be special. And as I have said before I think he has a different skill set than Meredith/Turner.

Seems like we should bring Meredith to the interior & put Ankrah at end, rather than have the two share PT. Either way, we'll be strong up front, and that's exactly what we need if we plan on taking down those Big 12 spread offenses like we did in '09.

Seems like we should bring Meredith to the interior & put Ankrah at end, rather than have the two share PT. Either way, we'll be strong up front, and that's exactly what we need if we plan on taking down those Big 12 spread offenses like we did in '09.

I like that in certain situations, like when we do the 5-1-5, but we still need depth across the line. If Steinkuhler is the man to take over at DT that's fine, and we've got a healthy Terrance Moore ready to fill in when necessary. I hate keeping Ankrah or Meredith on the bench, but it's not a bad idea to preserve depth.

I like that in certain situations, like when we do the 5-1-5, but we still need depth across the line. If Steinkuhler is the man to take over at DT that's fine, and we've got a healthy Terrance Moore ready to fill in when necessary. I hate keeping Ankrah or Meredith on the bench, but it's not a bad idea to preserve depth.

I have had that same opinion for a while now. I hate not being able to play those two and Pierre all the time. But if we keep those 3 fresh throughout the whole game that will be some serious dividends in the latter parts of games.

I agree completely with PJ and I love Eric as much as any player on D but I think it might be another year before we see Mr. Martin starting at MLB. The coaches have said he doesn't know the defense well enough to be the guy out there calling plays. Let's just hope he works hard over the off-season so he does start b/c I can't wait for him to be on the field every play.

I'm also very excited to see if Thad Randle gets any playing time next year.

I forgot about Randle. Wow, we definitely have some depth on the D-line, don't we? In spite of Randle's potential, I don't see him getting significant PT till 2011. Did he get any PT last season?