Predicting changes in the B12

mitch7

Some guy wrote in to Griffin earlier claiming that Coach's wife hated Baton Rouge and that Coach wasn't too high on the area either. I just don't get the Coach Pelini to LSU predictions whenever I hear them. He was an assistant there for what, 3 years? He's not from the South, he has no other connections to the area...why would he want to go back? Ohio State, MAYBE, but honestly, what other school wouldn't be a lateral move or a step down?

World peace, Nebraska football fans accept the 2001 Miami Hurricanes as the greatest team of all time, and Sarah Palin wins the 2012 presidential election.......

carnac.jpg

............Things more likely to come true that Tom Griffen's Big12 predictions!

:koolaid2:

You obviously missed the suggested absurdity of such a statement. :facepalm:

World peace, Nebraska football fans accept the 2001 Miami Hurricanes as the greatest team of all time, and Sarah Palin wins the 2012 presidential election.......

carnac.jpg

............Things more likely to come true that Tom Griffen's Big12 predictions!

:koolaid2:

You obviously missed the suggested absurdity of such a statement. :facepalm:

Ha IMHO, it's a tie between the 95 huskers and the '01 hurricanes but for totally different reasons.

Too much of a Texas homer and focuses too much on the South for my tastes. But he is the only Big 12/Nebraska blog that I know of and it's easy to access. I really don't have a problem with his writing as long as it's just about Nebraska and doesn't include a South team/Texas. When it starts to involve that his bias starts to show too much. Here's to hoping that ESPN starts looking to bring in writers for all the individual divisions (Big XII North and South; SEC East and West) for the coming years when the Pac-10 and Big-10 start looking to bring their numbers up to get a championship game.

Email Print Share

By Tim Griffin

The Big 12 had an eventful decade in the one that just concluded. Two national championships, seven trips to the BCS national title game and a spectator-friendly offensive attack earned the league much national notoriety.

But you haven’t seen anything yet.

With that in mind, I dusted off my crystal ball and looked ahead to see some of the major events that we could see during the upcoming decade.

We’ll see some realignment in the league as Missouri leaves for the Big Ten and TCU is added to fill the Tigers' place. That move will give Big 12 leaders an excuse for realignment that eventually will be selected from a blind draw of plans at Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe’s desk. The Osborne Division will have Nebraska, Colorado, Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M. The Royal Division will give a home to TCU, Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State. After four years of play, that grouping will prove so unpopular that the old divisional format will be adapted with TCU joining the South Division and Oklahoma State moving to the North.

Mike Leach eventually will return to the Big 12 – but this time as a television analyst. His quirky conversational style will be panned by the critics but embraced by fans. And he’ll also appear on television in a continuing role of his good friend Donald Trump’s series “The Apprentice.”

After being rebuffed by the major television networks, the Big 12 and Pac-10 will strike out on their own with a television network jointly owned by both. It will give us a late game every Thursday night from the Pac-10, along with an early Big 12 game every Saturday at noon. The two conferences will share the prime Saturday afternoon programming window and games on Saturday night, building national awareness for both conferences.

The most intriguing part of the Pac-10/Big 12 programming association will be the “Kickoff Classic,” a week-long start of the season where the Big 12 teams will meet their counterparts from the Pac-10 in a series of eight games each year. The series starts off with a bang when USC beats Texas in 2015 at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, earning a measure of revenge for losing to the Longhorns in the national championship game in 2006.

By that time, Will Muschamp will have taken over at Texas. Mack Brown will remain at Texas through the 2012 season, celebrating as Garrett Gilbert leads the Longhorns to the national championship with a victory over Ohio State in the BCS title game. After that game, Brown announces his resignation, with Muschamp taking over and naming Major Applewhite as his offensive coordinator and Kirby Smart as his defensive coordinator in his first series of personnel moves.

Bob Stoops’ association with Oklahoma will end in the middle of the decade when he accepts an offer to become the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. At the time, it will end the longest association of any Big 12 coach with their school. He’ll be replaced at Oklahoma by Houston coach Kevin Sumlin.

After Bo Pelini leaves for the vacant LSU job after the 2014 season, former Cornhusker Turner Gill takes over the Nebraska program after developing his Kansas program into a solid bowl contender. His hiring is one of the last acts that Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne orchestrates before his retirement.

Much to the chagrin of football fans, the BCS will endure. We’ll see one alteration, however. A “plus-one” model will be added with one game added for the national championship. Texas, Nebraska and Oklahoma all will win national championships during the upcoming decade. With Boone Pickens' influence lessening, Oklahoma State will fall back into a lesser position in the South. And Colorado will go through two head coaches in the decade before hiring Kyle Shanahan in 2018.

Thanks to huge seasons from Robert Griffin and national interception leader Ahmad Dixon, Baylor will end its bowl drought with an appearance in the 2011 Texas Bowl. To celebrate, the Dr Pepper bottlers in Waco will release a commemorative bottle that becomes a prized collectors’ item.

One change in the BCS will affect the Big 12. The Cotton Bowl eventually will become the fifth bowl in the national title rotation. To fill that hole, the Alamo Bowl will move to New Year’s Day as the destination for the top Big 12 team that doesn’t make the BCS.

Oh Tim you will be wrong again. There is no way he leaves us for LSU and I do not see Les Miles getting canned anytime soon. If Bo were to leave us for a job, any job, it would be to take the OSU position. Please discuss....

I don't think Bo would ever leave for LSU, however I could see Miles being fired within the next three years. He is not a fan favorite down there.

Nor was Bo. Fans were glad when he left.

I don't think Bo would ever leave for LSU, however I could see Miles being fired within the next three years. He is not a fan favorite down there.

Nor was Bo. Fans were glad when he left.

I don't know where your getting your info from, but I have never heard a bad word said about Bo from any of the LSU fans I know. In fact it was the exact opposite, everyone I talked to hated to see him go.

honestly, any coach is crazy to go to the SEC. They do have great fans, tradition, history... blah, blah, blah. but they are crazy down there, and i mean crazy. they rioted when lane 'the pain' left, and he is a loser. they hate you when you lose, they hate you when you leave, they hate you when you do not win fast enough or big enough or against the right teams. Fulmer was fired, i am not sure why, and then they love kiffin, a loser whose only asset was his supporting staff (i.e. monte). i would love to be a fan of a team in the SEC, because it is exciting, but i would hate to be a coach. it is hard to win there, every game is of the caliber of the big XII championship, and you have to win. finally, houston nutt is loved for some reason, crazy right? so unless you are houston nutt, i would not recommend coaching down there (on a side note, nutt is impressive with his ability to leverage 'offers' for huge contracts, i think he has just created a false blog to create rumors about other schools offering him jobs).

fear_and_loathing_cats.jpg

(coaches driving through SEC country)

My Prediction: The world ends in 2012 right before NU plays for the national championship....wouldn't that be a female dog

No sh#t, December 21st, right after NU wins a 3rd straight conference title and a week after Cody Green wins the Heisman in a landslide. What a bitch to come up just short of being back on top because of the damn Mayans.