Adrian Fiala out of broadcast booth

Fiala no longer part of NU broadcast team

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Adrian Fiala is out as color commentator for the Husker Sports Network radio broadcasts of Nebraska football games.

“We’re going to a traditional two-man booth next season,” Dave Witty, vice president and general manager of the Husker Sports Network, told the Journal Star on Monday. “Most of the other schools have a two-man booth.”

Greg Sharpe will continue in his role as play-by-play man, with ex-NU wideout Matt Davison continuing as color commentator and Lane Grindle as sideline reporter.

“Those are the only three voices you’ll hear during the actual play-by-play portion of the broadcast,” Witty said.

Fiala and Davison shared color commentator duties during games for the past three seasons.

Fiala was told Friday morning he would no longer be part of the broadcasts, including pre-game and post-game shows. The former Nebraska athlete has been part of the Husker broadcast team since 1996.

“It's always tough when you're talking about somebody who’s been part of the broadcast that long and somebody who I respect and always have had a good relationship with,” Witty said. “It’s just that at some point you have to do what you think is right.

“You obviously get feedback from lots of different people and sources. You take all the feedback and you have to make decisions at the end of the year, and that was the decision that was made.”

Fiala couldn’t be reached Monday for comment.

In addition to changes in the booth, Witty said the pre-game show will undergo significant changes.

“We’re going to eliminate a lot of sponsor interviews that are in that show and try to create a little more excitement and anticipation within that, since it’s one hour to three hours away from kickoff,” Witty said. “We had concerns from affiliates and fans and other folks that that show got away from football talk a little too much.”

“Obviously, it’s a complex broadcast,” he added, “and we want to try to make sure it’s a good broadcast for the fans and our clients.”

Hallelujah!! While I've appreciated Mr. Fiala's service to Husker Nation, it was time. IMO, he added nothing to the broadcast most average fans didn't already know. Personally, I want someone in the booth (and on Big Red Wrapup) who is not afraid to use productive criticism. Fiala seemed like too much of a "company man" to provide a fair broadcast. I want someone who is going to tell it like it is instead of someone who is going to sugarcoat things. Sorry. Good luck to you, Mr. Fiala!

I don't know if I’m the only one that feels this way or not but if you ask me this sucks. Adrian is what Husker football is all about and not having him on the broadcasts will blow. :bang

They probably had to get rid of him to make room for Davison’s head. Matt loves him some Matt.

I agree. I really Adrian and will miss him.

Hope he continues to do Big Red Wrap-Up.

Adrian!!!! I don't like this decision. Having Adrian up in the booth is all I have ever known, his voice is one of the most recognizable in Nebraska. He will be sorely missed, but I think Matt is up to the task. Both Matt and Adrian exemplify what Husker football was and is now returning too.

Thanks for your service and contributions to Nebraska football Adrian, and Ill even help hold the door. I wont miss you or your brain-draining, Madden-esque commentary at all.

The jury is still out on Davison for me. He seems capable, but I find myself wincing at his nasally voice every once in awhile.

I don't know if I’m the only one that feels this way or not but if you ask me this sucks. Adrian is what Husker football is all about and not having him on the broadcasts will blow. :bang

They probably had to get rid of him to make room for Davison’s head. Matt loves him some Matt.

I liked Fiala. He gives some good commentary and does not have an agenda or an ego. I thought him and Sharpe made a solid team. I think he is getting near retirement age and maybe he felt it was time as well. Best of luck to him in his other ventures.

umm...adrian had become very...bad making lots of mistakes, i loved him but it was time for a change. and matt is fine to listen too.

I couldn't stand the guy if we're being honest here. He's a husker through and through, but I'd find myself getting very annoyed while watching him on Big Red Wrap Up. He's routinely mess up someone's name or say something that wasn't true, and what he was talking about, was common sense stuff that anyone would know.

Thanks for your service Mr. Fiala.

I like Adrian okay, and I like Matt as well. Change is a constant, so we'll survive this. I think Adrian had gotten a little stale the last couple of years, so maybe it was time for a change.

I learned to survive without the irreplaceable Lyell Bremser, I can certainly learn to live without Adrian Fiala.

They probably bumped somebody out to save room for more commercial spots. I can barely do post game radio for that reason. When it comes to player interviews or the post press conference coach's interview, you get maybe a two sentence answer followed by ten minutes of commercials. Unbelievably annoying.