Who does the offense need most?

ESPY

We need the Helu that finished the 2008 season when he took over for Lucky. He was dinged after the MU game this year and didn't really get back to 100%. If Helu is 90-100% for most of the season, we'll be able to open up our offense a little. I love what Burkhead brings and Niles matured alot after the TT and ISU games, but Helu needs to be our horse in 2010.

GBR

But, can Helu be a horse who handles the ball 25+ times? Will those carries actually make us better than if we do a 50/50 or 60/40 split between Helu & Rex? I don't think so. We need Rex just as much as we need Helu b/c we have a backfield that's perfect for a runner-by-committee gameplan. We don't need a horse, especially if we install the wildcat on a regular basis.

I'm going to go with a healthy Roy Helu. I think the evidence speaks for itself...look how our offense played against Texas Tech and Iowa State when he wasn't healthy. If we can keep Roy healthy, mix in a healthy dose of Rex Panther, and put an add in the classifieds for a QB I think we have a legit shot at being a decent offensive football team.

I hear he works 60% of the time everytime.

I'm going to go with a healthy Roy Helu. I think the evidence speaks for itself...look how our offense played against Texas Tech and Iowa State when he wasn't healthy. If we can keep Roy healthy, mix in a healthy dose of Rex Panther, and put an add in the classifieds for a QB I think we have a legit shot at being a decent offensive football team.

i Hate the rex burkhead nicknames....... but that is pretty good

I don't know if it's one player, IMO there are 3 keys to the improvement in the 2010 offense.

#1- Health- Lee, Helu and the majority of the line were all banged up this year.

#2- Maturity- need the young lineman to push the existing line, and be ready to provide depth, need the WR core to grow up a bit.

#3- Consistency- MANY offensive players flashed great potential, Gilleylen early, Cooper in the middle of the year, Paul towards the end, but NONE brought it every week, regardless. It's hard to gameplan when you don't know who's going to show up on Saturday.

I know the trenches are important but I feel like saying "All 5 linemen" is kind of a cop-out answer. That's half the offense and we're only asking for one guy. But I'm going to give an equally cop-out answer: Zac Lee - because he's the quarterback. If there's one guy almost any offense needs, it's the quarterback. A grab bag of guys might be able to find success at receiver or running back, and a lot will depend on the line, but he's our field general out there. All other things being equal, he's going to determine how things run.

I know the trenches are important but I feel like saying "All 5 linemen" is kind of a cop-out answer. That's half the offense and we're only asking for one guy. But I'm going to give an equally cop-out answer: Zac Lee - because he's the quarterback. If there's one guy almost any offense needs, it's the quarterback. A grab bag of guys might be able to find success at receiver or running back, and a lot will depend on the line, but he's our field general out there. All other things being equal, he's going to determine how things run.

:yeah It's obvious this job is Lee's to lose. That performance vs AZ got him a long way ahead of the others in the minds of the coaches, as well it should have. Lee was a man on a mission in that game. He had resolve when running the ball (btw, he had the most carries that night), made quick decisions on passing plays & reading routes, and he passed with accuracy & confidence. These are the things Watson wants most from his QB, and all of that was done with a bum arm that's expected to be healed by spring ball. IMO, Green, Spano & any other QB will have to absolutely knock the socks off coaches to start over him in the fall.

I think the position that has the most drop off from #1 to #2 is TE. So I think that McNeil is pretty dang important next year. We have TE's who can catch. But McNeil can makes plays.

I was somewhat disappointed in the utilization of McNeil this past year. I hope to see much more in 2010. As for who the O needs most, obviously everyone working as a unit, but the QB position is clearly going to be vital. We can have as much talent around the ball as we want, but if we don't have a QB that steps up and commands the troops, we won't produce squat. The good news is that I think we will have just that. At this point I would have to say that Lee being healthy will allow the coaching staff to put our best QB forward, whoever it ends up being.

Pickin the 5 guys up front might be a copout, but you can have a Heisman winning QB(Bradford) and not be effective. Without good consistent OL play, you will get Heisman winnin QB's and RB's injured. Football games are won and lost in the trenches. Without good line play whether it be on the offensive or defensive side of the ball teams will struggle. You can have the best secondary in the league, but their stats will suffer dramatically if the DL doesn't get pressure on the QB.