Who does the offense need most?

ESPY

According to ESPN, the '09 Huskers finished 72nd in total offense, 99th in yards/game, 75th in pts/game. Of course these stats are nothing new to us. We were the ones who experienced the pain of watching that production all season :facepalm:

Moving into 2010, there are much higher expectations for this unit, especially with 10 returning starters & a host of young guys with a season of experience under their belts. That said, here's my quandary - who is the one offensive player we can't do without in 2010?

Niles Paul had a huge season with 1700+ all-purpose yards (that includes his return yards). Helu accumulated 1300+ yards & the most TDs on the team. Burkhead & Kinnie proved their worth as dependable skill players. McNeil is close to breaking the all-time receiving record for TEs. And Lee showed flashes as the field general. But, are these guys expendable/replacable if injury or other complications arise? Do we actually have one guy we absolutely need to succeed?

I would argue our offense absolutely needs a solid QB in 2010, and I think Lee is our man. He shares several similarities to Joe Ganz, and we know Watson thought Ganz was the best QB for his system. Lee is a passing QB who runs well, and he's a good decision-maker (for the most part). We've seen just how good this offense can be when Lee does the things Watson needs him to do, and I have reason to believe Lee will be that guy we saw vs AZ. Now I know he'll have some competition with Green and (hopefully) Spano, but I think his experience & knowledge of the offense will be head & shoulders above Green, who seemed to get worse starting with the 2nd half vs Baylor, and Spano, who has a long way to go thanks to his injuries. For all these reason (& more), I believe Lee is the one player our offense can't do without.

We need the Helu that finished the 2008 season when he took over for Lucky. He was dinged after the MU game this year and didn't really get back to 100%. If Helu is 90-100% for most of the season, we'll be able to open up our offense a little. I love what Burkhead brings and Niles matured alot after the TT and ISU games, but Helu needs to be our horse in 2010.

GBR

Someone, anyone, has to step up as a big-time QB. I don't pretend to know who it will be, but that is and always has been the piece that sets an offense apart, makes a bad offense good and a good offense great.

C'mon Watson. We appear to have some physically talented guys. Coach 'em up!

I would say it goes in this order: 1 - most important, 11 - least important

1. Center - without him, no play would be possible.

2. Quarterback - without him receiving the snap from the center, no play would be possible.

3/4. Both Guards - without them, the quarterback would be sacked after 2 steps back.

5/6. Both Tackles - without them, the quarterback would be sacked after 3 steps back.

7. Halfback - Provides some football hogging relief from the quarterback.

8. Fullback - without him, the football hogging relief of the quarterback wouldn't last very long.

9/10/11. TEs/WRs - Even on pass plays, they don't know if they are definitely getting the ball or not.

So...that being said...

My job as the RB of the Huskerboard starting lineup is to provide some post hogging relief from BRI...what a task!

• Fire 1

Offensive line, offensive line, offensive line. In that order. Lee will never be great but the OL never gave him a chance. Our running backs are above average but are playing behind an average (at best) line. Our WR's are mediocre . . . but if the QB is under constant pressure their struggles will be magnified.

If Cotton doesn't get some drastic improvement this year with the new crop of OL players he needs to be gone. Simple as that.

I would say it goes in this order: 1 - most important, 11 - least important

1. Center - without him, no play would be possible.

2. Quarterback - without him receiving the snap from the center, no play would be possible.

3/4. Both Guards - without them, the quarterback would be sacked after 2 steps back.

5/6. Both Tackles - without them, the quarterback would be sacked after 3 steps back.

7. Halfback - Provides some football hogging relief from the quarterback.

8. Fullback - without him, the football hogging relief of the quarterback wouldn't last very long.

9/10/11. TEs/WRs - Even on pass plays, they don't know if they are definitely getting the ball or not.

So...that being said...

My job as the RB of the Huskerboard starting lineup is to provide some post hogging relief from BRI...what a task!

:laughpound:laughpound

I think the position that has the most drop off from #1 to #2 is TE. So I think that McNeil is pretty dang important next year. We have TE's who can catch. But McNeil can makes plays.

The trick is actually utilizing McNeil's skills to the fullest. He won't get the rock unless the ball is thrown his way, and for some reason that happened very little last year. Maybe Lee gained more confidence with McNeil in the bowl game, but was it enough? I really don't know. IMO McNeil needs to average at least 5 catcher per to really do some damage, and he needs to be one of our 1st options in the red zone.

We need the Helu that finished the 2008 season when he took over for Lucky. He was dinged after the MU game this year and didn't really get back to 100%. If Helu is 90-100% for most of the season, we'll be able to open up our offense a little. I love what Burkhead brings and Niles matured alot after the TT and ISU games, but Helu needs to be our horse in 2010.

GBR

Helu was my 2nd choice. I know Rex will make his mark too, which actually makes Helu a bit expendable, BUT Helu is definitely closer to being the driving force the offense needs, especially if he performs like he did vs VaTech. No team in the North division stands a chance against us with a consistent running attack like we saw from him in that game.

I think the position that has the most drop off from #1 to #2 is TE. So I think that McNeil is pretty dang important next year. We have TE's who can catch. But McNeil can makes plays.

The trick is actually utilizing McNeil's skills to the fullest. He won't get the rock unless the ball is thrown his way, and for some reason that happened very little last year. Maybe Lee gained more confidence with McNeil in the bowl game, but was it enough? I really don't know. IMO McNeil needs to average at least 5 catcher per to really do some damage, and he needs to be one of our 1st options in the red zone.

The also need to get him the ball on the move. All of his catches seem to be when he is unable to move quickly downfield after the catch. Any tight end will work on the curl or stop. Hit him on a slant or deep in the crease. We never took advantage of his speed and athleticism. He was the most wasted asset in America this year. Possible exception of Julio Jones.

Im in agreement with it being anyone on the line. When you hit the end of the season, and you really dont have anyone to rotate through, thats scary. Helu has burned me too many times. I think the only way he stays healthy and can best contribute is if the line does, and if he isnt expected to carry a feature-back type role. He's the classic change of pace back to me, the slasher that can pop a huge play once a game.

Frankly next year is a crapshoot offensively, and I bet Watson's seat has been pretty comfortable this frigid winter. I guess in a way, Shawn Watson might be THE most important offensive piece. Its put up or shut up time for him. The D is proven and will win some games for us, but if the offense burns this team even once like an Iowa State game, I see (and pray for) Shawn being shown the door.

Im in agreement with it being anyone on the line. When you hit the end of the season, and you really dont have anyone to rotate through, thats scary. Helu has burned me too many times. I think the only way he stays healthy and can best contribute is if the line does, and if he isnt expected to carry a feature-back type role. He's the classic change of pace back to me, the slasher that can pop a huge play once a game.

Frankly next year is a crapshoot offensively, and I bet Watson's seat has been pretty comfortable this frigid winter. I guess in a way, Shawn Watson might be THE most important offensive piece. Its put up or shut up time for him. The D is proven and will win some games for us, but if the offense burns this team even once like an Iowa State game, I see (and pray for) Shawn being shown the door.

Watson is a HUGE factor, & he really has no excuses aside from injuries. But since every team is forced to deal with injuries during the course of the season, I don't think that can be a valid excuse. This is his offense, and it's an offense that has every player but one returning from last season. BTW, these are his players, not a one of these guys is a leftover from the previous OC. If the offense fails, it's all on him.

Zac Lee. Why you ask? Simple, he has been the only QB that I've seen can at least run some of the offense and make half way decent passes. Hopefully after the surgery things will be better. Also, even if another QB starts over him he will be very important as the backup. So whether he starts or not, I think he will be needed next year.

I'm going to go with a healthy Roy Helu. I think the evidence speaks for itself...look how our offense played against Texas Tech and Iowa State when he wasn't healthy. If we can keep Roy healthy, mix in a healthy dose of Rex Panther, and put an add in the classifieds for a QB I think we have a legit shot at being a decent offensive football team.