Suggestion for MODS about Reputation

Enhance

Hey all,

So I noticed in another thread on the Feedback forum that negative reputation can possibly affect starting new topics, being able to edit posts, etc. I don't if it was looked at by the mods or not, but I have a suggestion to prevent any issues like this.

I was a MOD on a Steam forum for two years (for those of you unfamiliar with Steam, it is an online video game program that houses games such as Counter-Strike and other vastly popular online computer games). While I was a MOD, we did not allow users to give other users negative reputation. The only thing the average user could do was add to a posters reputation. Subtracting from a users reputation was only allowed by Admins and Mods.

Right now, it doesn't appear that the reputation bar is becoming a big issue. Most of the people on this board are intelligent, mature, and understand how it works. Plus, the reputation issue was much worse on the Steam forum because things could get much more heated there and we had many different ages posting. Most of the people on this board are (by my guess) 18 and older, so maturity levels generally aren't an issue.

However, I would say the best thing about taking away the users capability of giving negative rep could prevent a couple of things.

1) People who have dissenting opinions won't be cast down quickly by majority posters. Sometimes, posters just have a bad/misinterpreted take on something and it isn't overly fair to downcast them so quickly. For example, one poster a week or so ago started a topic saying he didn't think true Husker fans could like any other football team, and he was pretty passionate about his stance. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure the last time I checked he was in the way negative in reputation. All because of one take? Doesn't seem right

2) It will prevent rep police. I know some posters try to lobby others to add reputation back so they can get out of the negative. I've seen it plenty of times in our status updates with things like "Don't worry JohnDoePoster, you're back up in the positive rep."

So, as far as I can tell the reputation system hasn't become a major issue. But if it ever does, this is the suggestion I would give to you MODS: take away the user capability to give negative rep and just allow the issuing of positive rep. Mods can become the sole proprietors of giving negative rep.

Hope this helps with any future issues. :koolaid2:

Thanks for the suggestion, Enhance, it'll be taken under consideration. As knapp said, it looks like it's going to be kept around at least for now. I think if it becomes an issue, we'll have to revisit it. So far, what's been done is that # daily rep points users have has been lowered, to sort of mitigate more extreme cases.

I should note also that our initial concerns about the reputation system affecting posting/editing abilities is unfounded. It's almost entirely cosmetic - but it gives users the ability to set a minimum threshold for posts (for example, if you don't want to view posts below "-X" reputation) although I don't know if people are really using that.

• Fire 1

IMO I think rep should limit your abilities on this website. One user in particular has repeatedly created forums that are out of place and pointless. His rep is an acurate reflection of how well he treats the board, and I for one would love to see his thread creation abilities taken away.

• Fire 1

IMO I think rep should limit your abilities on this website. One user in particular has repeatedly created forums that are out of place and pointless. His rep is an acurate reflection of how well he treats the board, and I for one would love to see his thread creation abilities taken away.

If there is a way to do this I would be in favor. I think it should be set to something extreme like -50 or -75 though also thanks zoogies I'm going to change my profile to not few posts from -50 posters.

If there is a way to do this I would be in favor. I think it should be set to something extreme like -50 or -75 though also thanks zoogies I'm going to change my profile to not few posts from -50 posters.

epocSoN, I'm not sure, but I think you can set it so that you don't see posts/topics from users with such low of a reputation. Posts definitely - topics, still unsure about but I could get back to you on that. The rep system does give members flexibility in this way, allowing them to choose what level (if any) they'd like to start browsing at.

But I think in the interests of preventing potential abuse - that is, a user who should be able to start topics/post but can't because they were unfairly ganged up on with the negative rep - it's okay to leave "taking away thread creation abilities" scenarios to moderator discretion. We do our best to keep the forums clear of clutter and trolls, but it definitely isn't a perfect, immediate or clear-cut process all the time.

In any event though, I don't believe the IPB reputation system is actually equipped to take away post privileges.

epocSoN, I'm not sure, but I think you can set it so that you don't see posts/topics from users with such low of a reputation. Posts definitely - topics, still unsure about but I could get back to you on that. The rep system does give members flexibility in this way, allowing them to choose what level (if any) they'd like to start browsing at.

But I think in the interests of preventing potential abuse - that is, a user who should be able to start topics/post but can't because they were unfairly ganged up on with the negative rep - it's okay to leave "taking away thread creation abilities" scenarios to moderator discretion. We do our best to keep the forums clear of clutter and trolls, but it definitely isn't a perfect, immediate or clear-cut process all the time.

In any event though, I don't believe the IPB reputation system is actually equipped to take away post privileges.

This is actually a pretty good thing.

While it is an interesting idea to make rep take away post privileges, that is mainly the job of Admins and Mods. It's their job to keep an eye out for posters that are not complying with board rules. If a poster continually violates board rules or is spamming new threads, they can always get a temp/perma ban.

There are some good suggestions there although you should get Sig of the Week up and running again as it's been the same one for months. Also what about changing the front page because when i first came to the site i did not realise there was other sections make the home page the forum index so people may be tempted to browse the other forums other than the cod ones i mean it's been the same threads in general talk for about a week and the new one's are only posted my the members in this thread.

There are some good suggestions there although you should get Sig of the Week up and running again as it's been the same one for months. Also what about changing the front page because when i first came to the site i did not realise there was other sections make the home page the forum index so people may be tempted to browse the other forums other than the cod ones i mean it's been the same threads in general talk for about a week and the new one's are only posted my the members in this thread.

You might want to start your own thread in this forum, because this thread is specifically related to reputation and you will get quicker answers from Mods and Admins if you start your own thread.

Second of all, space out your suggestions when you create your own thread because your paragraph is a little hard to understand and make sense of.

Third of all, the home page is the forum index. It gives you all of the major forums on the board; you then click on a forum so you can see any sub-forums or threads. If you put all the forums on the home page without any over-hanging category to clump them in, you'll have 50 some odd forums on the home page. Most people wouldn't be open with that.

Yea, as enhance said, feel free to start another thread shyndy. It'll keep the discussion flow more organized that way. Actually, I'm having trouble understanding some of the suggestions so if you do start a new thread, maybe you can clarify more. We have a Sig of the Week that's been the same for months? What does "cod" mean?

Yea, as enhance said, feel free to start another thread shyndy. It'll keep the discussion flow more organized that way. Actually, I'm having trouble understanding some of the suggestions so if you do start a new thread, maybe you can clarify more. We have a Sig of the Week that's been the same for months? What does "cod" mean?

Canadians On Drugs?

Coaches Opening Doors?

Cars Of Denmark?

Cabage Over Dogs?

Just brain storming.