Suggestion for MODS about Reputation

Enhance

I have a suggestion for our diligent mods. How about some Caption Contests over the off season..??

That is SOOOO Old School. We're thinking of having spelling contests this year.

First person to spell "perspicacity" wins. Go!

But seriously, we'll have to get on that. Good reminder.

perspicacity

Sorry killer, knapp beat you. Congrats knapp - winner of the first Huskerboard.com spelling contest!

• 5 weeks later...

people are just getting too worked up about it. give me a break, i have had many negative posts but im not gonna whine like a schoolgirl because someone didnt like what i said!!

its not like you can get banned for having a low rep.

it appears to be gone now so the ppl that cant handle criticism got their way...

people are just getting too worked up about it. give me a break, i have had many negative posts but im not gonna whine like a schoolgirl because someone didnt like what i said!!

it appears to be gone now so the ppl that cant handle criticism got their way...

To me, it had nothing to do with the criticism n things like that, its just how people used it. If it was legit, it'd be fine.. However, when people get all pissy at you because of what you said about Green (nothing bad at all, just honest opinion) people continue to give you negative rep, thats not the way something like that should be used.

To me, it had nothing to do with the criticism n things like that, its just how people used it. If it was legit, it'd be fine.. However, when people get all pissy at you because of what you said about Green (nothing bad at all, just honest opinion) people continue to give you negative rep, thats not the way something like that should be used.

Since the Rep feature has been canned, do we need to do away with the User Rating stars too? I mean, that essentially the same thing. People saw the Rep feature being used as a means to just pick on a person and not their post, so I think we should get rid of the user rating stars too. I currently have a 3 star 2 star rating and every time I see it, it makes me sad and I feel like you guys don't like me anymore and don't respect my opinions about things and maybe you guys are trying to get rid of me or maybe you just want me to stop posting as much and only post when someone makes a post directed towards me? I just don't know what to do anymore!

:sarcasm

My own thought is that it would be ideal if we could add or subtract points, but they could never go below zero (i.e, the lowest a post can be is neutral) - but that's not the intention of the add-on nor is it possible without additional coding. Maybe if it's not too hard I can take a look under the hood and look into that, but shrug.

I think the main problem is just having posts that have a red -1 or -3 or whatever next to it, it makes it feel like you're being attacked. And that's not a good dynamic to bring to the board. On the other hand, with the reputation feature gone, I found occasions when I saw a post I liked and wanted to give a simple thumb's up to, but didn't have a way to do that without making a meaningless post.

Thanks, AR - I think this is a pretty good middle ground.

I still think rather than completely doing away with the rep system that my suggestion is a formidable one. Just give board members the right to only add rep to posts and not detract rep. My OP goes into greater detail.

We'll give that a try. As of now, posters can receive positive reps points only.

I think you'll be pleased. I never recall it causing issues on the forum I used to moderate, so here's to a happy rep system. :cheers

So you can’t get booted off the board for negative rep points-—only for infractions and jackassery, right? Then why would anyone give a rat’s ass if they have negative rep points? And if a person is so vain that they do care about it, then why not just avoid posting stupid crap that would attract negative rep points?

So you can’t get booted off the board for negative rep points-—only for infractions and jackassery, right? Then why would anyone give a rat’s ass if they have negative rep points? And if a person is so vain that they do care about it, then why not just avoid posting stupid crap that would attract negative rep points?

Let's say you are about to be interviewed for a job at a bank working in a finance and loans department. Would you rather walk into the interview with a giant "I am a jackass" poster slapped to your back, or would you rather go in with a nice suit on looking like a million bucks? Same principle applies here. Negative rep points give people the impression that you are a jackass.

It doesn't matter if somebody negates points off of a post of mine, because I have 40+ points to spare. But, if a new poster comes on here and somebody doesn't like his take, he's immediately in the negative. Perhaps you don't care that much about rep points, but there are some people on here that do take it personally.