Texas to the big 10?

knapplc

No way Texas goes to the Big 10. If for no other reason, and there are many, the state politicians won't let it happen because it would hurt A&M, Baylor and Tech. I see why the Big 10 wants it... I want Santa Claus to Drop off presents at my house for REAL so I wouldn't have to buy em too.. he doesn't....

If I were going to build a midwestern/southern superconfernece for viewers and network, here it would be (won't happen)

West

Texas

Texas A&M

Oklahoma

Kansas

Nebraska

Missouri

Iowa

Colorado

East

Penn State

Michigan

Ohio State

Indiana

Michigan State

Illinois

Wisconsin

Minnesota

You would have a lot of blinking TV sets and quality teams. K-State, Tech, Iowa State and Baylor would be out (they are not adding much to the academics, sports prestige, or viewers). I know Northwestern is not athletically up to snuff, I alos dropped Purdue, not sure if they really deserve dropping, but they seemed a good choice...

Texas however is holding on to gripe about the Big 12 rep not notifying them that the NCAA was looking into the coach in waiting thing. The are going to say that the rule could have a huge effect on their recruiting. (evening though the had 13 commitments on their JR day yesterday) Im sure they will bring up the 3 way tie that "robbed them of a championship".

Texas however is holding on to gripe about the Big 12 rep not notifying them that the NCAA was looking into the coach in waiting thing. The are going to say that the rule could have a huge effect on their recruiting. (evening though the had 13 commitments on their JR day yesterday) Im sure they will bring up the 3 way tie that "robbed them of a championship".

Or the extra one second that robbed them of the Big 12 Championship last year, of which they were the best team on the field... oh, wait... :sarcasm

I cannot fathom how this would make sense for Texas. None at all.

A source with ties to the Big Ten said that while most people’s attention has been trained on the conference stealing Missouri, the Big Ten has engaged in “preliminary exchanges” with a much bigger fish from the Big 12.

“There have been preliminary exchanges between the Big Ten and Texas,” the source told the Journal-World on Wednesday. “People will deny that, but it’s accurate.”

Missouri and Pittsburgh have been the most talked-about candidates to fill the 12th spot, which would enable the conference to have the postseason football conference title game it lacks. In December of 2009, the Big Ten issued a statement that the timetable for expansion was in the 12-to-18-month range.

Travel costs, in terms of money and fatigue, make Texas seem on the surface like a stretch, but TV revenue would more than make up for the fatigue factor.

LINK

you do realize that northwestern makes more money then all the schools in the big 12, save texas right? and you add texas too the big 10/1 they get a whole hell of a lot richer.

No, I don't realize that because it's not true. For certain Texas makes the most money (they're #1 in the country), but Oklahoma State, Kansas, Oklahoma and Nebraska all make more money than Northwestern's athletic department.

you do realize that northwestern makes more money then all the schools in the big 12, save texas right? and you add texas too the big 10/1 they get a whole hell of a lot richer.

No, I don't realize that because it's not true. For certain Texas makes the most money (they're #1 in the country), but Oklahoma State, Kansas, Oklahoma and Nebraska all make more money than Northwestern's athletic department.

Depends on what you are talking about - TV money from conference Northwestern does (I think) TOTAL revenue (tickets, concessions, merchandising PPV (especially for NU) Northwestern fades to the back of the pack. Lots of UT hats, shirts coats where I teach, can't say I have seen a Wildcat (not the KSU variety) ever.

Depends on what you are talking about - TV money from conference Northwestern does (I think) TOTAL revenue (tickets, concessions, merchandising PPV (especially for NU) Northwestern fades to the back of the pack. Lots of UT hats, shirts coats where I teach, can't say I have seen a Wildcat (not the KSU variety) ever.

Does anyone have any stats on Northwestern's TV revenue compared to the Big XII? I'd be interested in seeing that.

If that's what Vuren is saying he's certainly not clear about it. Regardless, Texas isn't moving to the Big 10 to help Northwestern, they're moving to help Texas, and they're not going to make any more money in the Big 10 than they are now. Less, possibly, with increased travel expenses.

My take on this Texas talk is that they're not so much interested in moving to the Big 10, it's more that they're giving themselves and the rest of the conference leverage against Missouri who seems to want to hold the conference hostage; "Give us a better deal or we're leaving." Texas' interest in the Big 10 is more likely to be along those lines than an actual factual move.