Texas to the big 10?

knapplc

I cannot fathom how this would make sense for Texas. None at all.

A source with ties to the Big Ten said that while most people’s attention has been trained on the conference stealing Missouri, the Big Ten has engaged in “preliminary exchanges” with a much bigger fish from the Big 12.

“There have been preliminary exchanges between the Big Ten and Texas,” the source told the Journal-World on Wednesday. “People will deny that, but it’s accurate.”

Missouri and Pittsburgh have been the most talked-about candidates to fill the 12th spot, which would enable the conference to have the postseason football conference title game it lacks. In December of 2009, the Big Ten issued a statement that the timetable for expansion was in the 12-to-18-month range.

Travel costs, in terms of money and fatigue, make Texas seem on the surface like a stretch, but TV revenue would more than make up for the fatigue factor.

LINK

If it really came down to it. I could see a "Texas Conference" being formed. Texas, A&M, TTech, TCU, Baylor, Houston, SMU, Rice, UTEP, North Texas, before UT leaves for somewhere else. I know not all of those teams are awesome, but that fits the Texas mentality of everyone having to cater to them.

A Texas conference would make sense. But going to the Big 10 makes more sense for the Big 10 than for Texas. They have all the money in the world already, and they already have a more than equitable share of TV revenue from the Big XII. The Big 10 would force them into a revenue sharing plan that would cut into their income. I don't see that happening.

I cannot fathom how this would make sense for Texas. None at all.

A source with ties to the Big Ten said that while most people’s attention has been trained on the conference stealing Missouri, the Big Ten has engaged in “preliminary exchanges” with a much bigger fish from the Big 12.

“There have been preliminary exchanges between the Big Ten and Texas,” the source told the Journal-World on Wednesday. “People will deny that, but it’s accurate.”

Missouri and Pittsburgh have been the most talked-about candidates to fill the 12th spot, which would enable the conference to have the postseason football conference title game it lacks. In December of 2009, the Big Ten issued a statement that the timetable for expansion was in the 12-to-18-month range.

Travel costs, in terms of money and fatigue, make Texas seem on the surface like a stretch, but TV revenue would more than make up for the fatigue factor.

LINK

Ugh. How does this wash to a rational human being? the student athletes are fatigued, but who cares! We're raking in the moolah! Yee-haw! It pains me to face that this is what college sports is about, and will continue to head down this road, to being like the NFL or any other pro sports...which I really dont care about.

This morning I was listening to the herd with Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio here in washington and he was talkiing about the Big Ten inviting texas to join the Big 10. I think this would be a horrible choice for them and I don't think there is anyway that this will happen. I know that they are making a big push at trying to get a big 12 team who would you wanna see go or who would you wanna see stay if this happened? I think they just want Texas becuase they are hurting talent wise and know that Texas is always a BCS bowl contender if not Championship contender.

ARMY STRONG

SGT Marinelli

We'll see what happens. I can't see how this is a good move for Texas. If I'm the Big 10 I'm ecstatic they're talking to me about it, but I just don't ever see it happening. Texas has a really sweet setup here in the Big XII.

FYI - there's already a thread about this in the Big 12 section of the forum. I'll be merging this with that in a while...

We'll see what happens. I can't see how this is a good move for Texas. If I'm the Big 10 I'm ecstatic they're talking to me about it, but I just don't ever see it happening. Texas has a really sweet setup here in the Big XII.

FYI - there's already a thread about this in the Big 12 section of the forum. I'll be merging this with that in a while...

gotcha covered knapp :thumbs

If it really came down to it. I could see a "Texas Conference" being formed. Texas, A&M, TTech, TCU, Baylor, Houston, SMU, Rice, UTEP, North Texas, before UT leaves for somewhere else. I know not all of those teams are awesome, but that fits the Texas mentality of everyone having to cater to them.

Actually, I could see this happening. It would be similar to the Big 12 as you have some big hitters in there with also some doormats just like the Big 12. A lot of people don't realize this, but Texas is self sufficient enough to stand alone as its own country. They don't even have any powerlines that cross state lines. I could definitely see how having their own conference would/could benefit all the Texas teams. It would almost be like building a wall around their border in terms of recruits.

I thought it would be more of a reality that Iowa State or Mizzou would go to the Big 10 rather than Texas, but then again Texas has one of the most dominant sports programs in the nation.

Wont happen but not for the reason you are thinking about. First off Texas doesnt like doing anything outside of Texas...They want the Big 12 championship game in Texas every year. 2nd thing Don Beebe the man sold his soul to keep Texas happy cough Big 12 Champions cough so they like getting what they want. 3rd You really think Michigan or Ohio State will give a damn what Texas wants? They've got so much hold of that conference they wouldnt like someone like Texas that demands the world bows to them, who quite honestly hasnt proven to do anything without Vince Young.

:facepalm: Would that conference then be called SWC? Do you see in the future Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missou, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Colorado and Iowa State forming a conference and calling it The Big Eight?

Lonestar Conference

North

Texas

Texas Tech

SMU

North Texas

TCU

UTEP

South

Baylor

Texas A&M

Texas State

Houston

UT San Antonio

Rice

Frontier Conference

Rocky Div

BYU

Boise State

Colorado

Colorado State

Utah

Wyoming

Plains Div.

Kansas

Kansas State

Missouri

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

It's a little different and would pretty much force the Mt. Waste into the WAC... The only team that won in the Big XII formation was Texas... Let them leave... We can still recruit there, like we always have...

Lonestar Conference

North

Texas

Texas Tech

SMU

North Texas

TCU

UTEP

South

Baylor

Texas A&M

Texas State

Houston

UT San Antonio

Rice

Frontier Conference

Rocky Div

BYU

Boise State

Colorado

Colorado State

Utah

Wyoming

Plains Div.

Kansas

Kansas State

Missouri

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

It's a little different and would pretty much force the Mt. Waste into the WAC...

the two in bold seem pretty tough in relation to their counter division. Interesting take as a whole, but highly improbable IMO.