SI's Big 12 Preview

GSG

Is it finally Nebraska's year?

It's been 11 years since the Huskers last won the Big 12, a remarkable drought considering just how dominant a program Nebraska was at the time of the league's inception. They couldn't have come much closer last year in coach Bo Pelini's second season -- one fateful second ultimately allowed Texas to kick that game-winning field goal against the Huskers in the Big 12 title game. A 33-0 Holiday Bowl rout of Arizona gave Nebraska its first 10-win season in six years and reinforced just how successful it could have been had it produced even a remotely adequate offense to go with its indisputably dominant defense.

While Nebraska loses its once-in-a-generation defensive tackle, Suh, most believe Pelini will still field another championship-caliber defense. Pierre Allen, Jared Crick and several other cogs from last year's unit are back, and Pelini and his brother (defensive coordinator Carl) have had three years now to groom their young talent.

For the Huskers, it's all about developing a more productive offense, a chore made more challenging this spring due to the absence of last year's starting quarterback, Zac Lee, who enjoyed a breakthrough performance in the bowl before undergoing surgery to repair an elbow injury that bothered him during the season. Will sophomore Cody Green use the extra reps to his advantage? And what of the Huskers' anemic rushing attack from last year? Will more experience up front and in the passing game create opportunities for I-back Roy Helu? Nebraska fans certainly hope the offensive "explosion" from the Holiday Bowl wasn't just a big tease.

Link to the entire column

The toughest thing for this next year will be dealing with the offensive line, imho. They were arguably the most inconsistent group last year. The coaches have gone on record saying that we may see a lot of new faces along the offensive line come next season. The only guy I see that really has a position locked down on the o-line is Ricky Henry. Other than that, I don't think any other position is safe.

• Fire 1

Yoshi is on a different level, and our O-line is crap. I'd be shocked if he wasnt named a starter before the first game.

Very true, and being here for the Spring practice will help trememdously, which Farley did not do. I wish that David would have been able to make it here for Spring practice and winter conditioning. It really, really helps those guys get acclimated to the team, campus, conditioning, etc, and seems to get them a leg up.

Did anyone else notice how scrawny P. Allen's arms looked in the front page picture? It must just be the camera angle.

They really do look freakishly scrawny! I bet opposing offenses are scared to death of those cap guns he's got!

In an effort to recapture the type of downhill running game Texas enjoyed back in the days of Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson and Jamaal Charles, offensive coordinator Greg Davis says Gilbert will line up more frequently under center than McCoy (who worked almost entirely out of the shotgun).

Wow, that is an interesting development. I wonder if this is true, or if Stewie Mandel is just filling column space with fluff. I would hate to see UT develop a monster running game like they had with Ricky Williams.

In an effort to recapture the type of downhill running game Texas enjoyed back in the days of Ricky Williams, Cedric Benson and Jamaal Charles, offensive coordinator Greg Davis says Gilbert will line up more frequently under center than McCoy (who worked almost entirely out of the shotgun).

Wow, that is an interesting development. I wonder if this is true, or if Stewie Mandel is just filling column space with fluff. I would hate to see UT develop a monster running game like they had with Ricky Williams.

It wouldnt surprise me one bit to seem them head in that direction. I think Grape is the real deal, and will be not only a better college QB, but definitely a better pro prospect than McCoy was. Getting him under center and establishing a serious running game is probably the wisest thing they can do to help his development along, instead of having him run McCoys decision heavy shotgun style right out of the gate.

I dont know about anyone else, but even with the interceptions, Gilbert Grape scared the crap out of me with his performance in the national championship game as a true freshman, off the bench, into the fire. Brought them back within 3 points against big bad Alabama, on the biggest stage possible. I keep picturing Cody Green being in the same situation, and laugh uncontrollably.

• Fire 1