The Peso Defense

I got your back CC.

The "peso" is very similar to nickel. Eric Hagg will be the nickel or "peso back". The nickel will take over the duties of the BUCK LB, which no longer exists. The MIKE LB will become WILL, and vice versa. So Compton moved to WILL, but will still make the calls on defense. Eric Martin, Fisher, and Matt Holt are now working at MIKE.

Also, P.J. Smith looks to be the #1 safety right now. Gomes and West have both moved to safety. Also, Austin Cassidy is working as the #2 nickel.

What I'm wondering now, is if the dimeback position is still going to be used or not, the article did not say anything about it.

• Fire 2

Plenty of changes for sure. I'm very pleased thought that they've moved Gomes to safety, I didn't think there was any way we could afford to not have him on the field as much as possible. I also like that (at least it sounds like) theres going to be more LBs on the field with this new fangled peso defense. Losing Suh will hurt, but more beef behind the line will make that loss sting less i think :koolaid2:

So the base changes. Not that big of a change IMO. There is still plenty of room for the packages that we saw all of last year.

I just like the fact that we have the personnel to play either the Peso or a traditional 4-3. We can go either way depending on what the opponents offense is favoring and not have a drop in talent either way.

:bonez

The article doesn't really explain the positioning of the players, or how it is any different from a Nickel. Will the Mike still be centered over the ball like in the 4-3, or will he be shifted a couple yards opposite the Peso?

Either way, this isn't much of a change, other than in terminology. Plus, the whole idea of a "base defense" went out the window last year. Even though the 4-3 was technically our base, we barely even used it. We used a lot more Nickel, Dime and even 4-0-7 Quarter, which was insanely effective against Texas and their barely competent running game.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that'll be affected by this "change" is the way the depth chart is listed, and possibly the distribution of Blackshirts (a third linebacker is more unlikely to get one now).

So does this mean that we won't see any of thr 4-0-7 we saw in the big 12 championship. By the way what would you call that defense? Maybe the 50 cent piece?

That one was the dollar, right?

I don't know, I don't get this change yet. Like others said, it sounds like a Nickel. So we're going from a 4-3 base to a Nickel base - but we were playing mostly Nickel anyways. And I guess the WILL and MIKE are flipped...but where's the name peso come from anyway? It's weird...but I like it. Although I hope Gomes makes the transition to safety; he was damn good as the dime back.

• Fire 1

So does this mean that we won't see any of thr 4-0-7 we saw in the big 12 championship. By the way what would you call that defense? Maybe the 50 cent piece?

That one was the dollar, right?

I don't know, I don't get this change yet. Like others said, it sounds like a Nickel. So we're going from a 4-3 base to a Nickel base - but we were playing mostly Nickel anyways. And I guess the WILL and MIKE are flipped...but where's the name peso come from anyway? It's weird...but I like it. Although I hope Gomes makes the transition to safety; he was damn good as the dime back.

I hope Gomes makes the switch well too. He is quickly becomibg my favorite player. He has loads of talent I hope he can learn to stop the run as well as he can cover I think that will be the key for him.