The Peso Defense

Play the best 11, right? What the Offense shows, you put your best match up out there. Reading a bit on Bo's philosophy, Use lots of personell, but keep your scheme simple. There's really not many different defense's that Bo and Carl have, its more about different athletes in the spot to make the play. Simple to learn, hard for the opposition to pick up.

The article doesn't really explain the positioning of the players, or how it is any different from a Nickel. Will the Mike still be centered over the ball like in the 4-3, or will he be shifted a couple yards opposite the Peso?

Either way, this isn't much of a change, other than in terminology. Plus, the whole idea of a "base defense" went out the window last year. Even though the 4-3 was technically our base, we barely even used it. We used a lot more Nickel, Dime and even 4-0-7 Quarter, which was insanely effective against Texas and their barely competent running game.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that'll be affected by this "change" is the way the depth chart is listed, and possibly the distribution of Blackshirts (a third linebacker is more unlikely to get one now).

What I derive from this is that basically they want Martin inside, probably because of his size, but they don't trust him making the calls, so they leave that to WILL Compton.(hehe) And in so many words, Eric Hagg is going to be somewhere between a BUCK linebacker and a rover/monsterback like aspeelin said, because he's so versatile.

BTW is anyone else loving Gomes to safety as much as I am? I'm really excited for that. :koolaid2:

• Fire 1

So does this mean that we won't see any of thr 4-0-7 we saw in the big 12 championship. By the way what would you call that defense? Maybe the 50 cent piece?

That one was the dollar, right?

I don't know, I don't get this change yet. Like others said, it sounds like a Nickel. So we're going from a 4-3 base to a Nickel base - but we were playing mostly Nickel anyways. And I guess the WILL and MIKE are flipped...but where's the name peso come from anyway? It's weird...but I like it. Although I hope Gomes makes the transition to safety; he was damn good as the dime back.

For the sake of being literal, a peso is roughly 8 cents in American currency. So the scheme itself is something between a nickel and dime. At least that's how I'm interpreting it.

So does this mean that we won't see any of thr 4-0-7 we saw in the big 12 championship. By the way what would you call that defense? Maybe the 50 cent piece?

That one was the dollar, right?

I don't know, I don't get this change yet. Like others said, it sounds like a Nickel. So we're going from a 4-3 base to a Nickel base - but we were playing mostly Nickel anyways. And I guess the WILL and MIKE are flipped...but where's the name peso come from anyway? It's weird...but I like it. Although I hope Gomes makes the transition to safety; he was damn good as the dime back.

Besides being currency "peso" also means "pressure" in Spanish. Not sure if Bo knew that or if he was just going with the currency. It sounds like this is the defense we used to most effect last year and it doesn't seem too radical a change. Besides, I fully trust now that Bo knows what he's doing. I'm looking forward to seeing this defense next year.

Actually you are wrong, the "peso" is not 8 cents. There are many countries which use a peso currency. Argentina, Mexico, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Uruguay and the Phillipines. The Uruguayan Peso is actually essentially a nickel. For the sake of being literal, naturally.

Actually you are wrong, the "peso" is not 8 cents. There are many countries which use a peso currency. Argentina, Mexico, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Uruguay and the Phillipines. The Uruguayan Peso is actually essentially a nickel. For the sake of being literal, naturally.

I probably should've clarified that I was referring to the Mexican peso, since I thought it was obvious. But you are also correct. My apologies.