Spring Game Depth Chart

Fuzzy

Just about a week until the Spring Game begins. If i remember correctly they already had a depth chart out stating who would see the field for the Red/White teams. I expect Bo and the coaches have been keeping a lid on this until after the final practice before the Spring game on Thursday.

But i want to start a discussion about what players and positions you are excited about seeing and what your expectations are for them on April 17th.

QB - Cody Green, I expect to see him make huge strides playing for the Red and really show how much he has matured into a leader on the field. Washington will provide more competition just like he did last year and really air it out with his strong arm. I expect to see Martinez and Spano take a few snaps in the 2nd half for both sides.

HB - Wasn't Helu out last year because of minor injuries for the Spring game? I would expect the same this year, and see more of Burkhead and Robinson taking the field, throwing in Jones, Okafur and Ward, just like last year. Mendoza has been moved back to IB, so i would expect to see him running the ball rather than playing in the slot much like last year.

FB - Bo mentioned that Zimmerer and Hill would be thrown into the FB mix for competition, i would like to see both of them show off their skills during the game.

WR - Catching the ball wasn't much of a problem during last years Spring game, so it caught people off guard to see them drop it so much during the season. Still, seeing less dropped passes and faster, cleaner route running would be a plus during the game. Also getting a first hand look at how fast Mike McNeill is would be great.

TE - Now that Mike McNeill is a WR and Ryan Hill is at FB, Reed, Cotton, and Young have much to prove about taking that starting spot. Also with Reed adding more weight, i wonder if his speed has slowed somewhat. Wouldn't be shocked to see what Chase Harper brings to the TE table.

OL - Spring game won't really give us an insight as to who might start on the OL for the regular season, but it will give us an opportunity to see some young guys play and how much the offensive line has improved in the trenches from last year. I would expect to see "Yoshi" Hardrick, Brent Qvale, Mike Caputo, Nick Ash, and maybe Brandon Chapek on the field at some point during the game.

DL - I don't think there will much of a surprise from defensive line, we just will see some new faces and what they are capable of. Such as Jason Ankrah, Kenny Anderson and Josh Williams. Maybe see the McDermott's brothers out there, who knows? They won't line up Crick and Baker on the same, that would be unfair, much like Suh and Crick from last year. I expect Crick will line up with Moore on the Red, and Baker/Randle on the White, I wouldn't be surprised to see Justin Jackson out there in 2nd half.

LB - Here is where my eyes are going to be for the game, seeing just how much Fisher, May, Compton have improved during the offseason and see just how Martin is coping with being on the field for more than minute for special teams. Expect to see Whaley, Stoddard, Kreikemeier and Holt out there with them.

CB - Not too worried about seeing this group take the field, we all know everyone is coming back, though i would not be surprised to see a few new names out there such as Middleton, Blue, Green, and Washington.

S - P.J. Smith, Thenarse, Hagg, Gomes, Cassidy and Courtney Osborne. That is who I am expecting to see playing at the safety spot at some point during the game.

Just about a week until the Spring Game begins. If i remember correctly they already had a depth chart out stating who would see the field for the Red/White teams. I expect Bo and the coaches have been keeping a lid on this until after the final practice before the Spring game on Thursday.

But i want to start a discussion about what players and positions you are excited about seeing and what your expectations are for them on April 17th.

QB - Cody Green, I expect to see him make huge strides playing for the Red and really show how much he has matured into a leader on the field. Washington will provide more competition just like he did last year and really air it out with his strong arm. I expect to see Martinez and Spano take a few snaps in the 2nd half for both sides.

HB - Wasn't Helu out last year because of minor injuries for the Spring game? I would expect the same this year, and see more of Burkhead and Robinson taking the field, throwing in Jones, Okafur and Ward, just like last year. Mendoza has been moved back to IB, so i would expect to see him running the ball rather than playing in the slot much like last year.

FB - Bo mentioned that Zimmerer and Hill would be thrown into the FB mix for competition, i would like to see both of them show off their skills during the game.

WR - Catching the ball wasn't much of a problem during last years Spring game, so it caught people off guard to see them drop it so much during the season. Still, seeing less dropped passes and faster, cleaner route running would be a plus during the game. Also getting a first hand look at how fast Mike McNeill is would be great.

TE - Now that Mike McNeill is a WR and Ryan Hill is at FB, Reed, Cotton, and Young have much to prove about taking that starting spot. Also with Reed adding more weight, i wonder if his speed has slowed somewhat. Wouldn't be shocked to see what Chase Harper brings to the TE table.

OL - Spring game won't really give us an insight as to who might start on the OL for the regular season, but it will give us an opportunity to see some young guys play and how much the offensive line has improved in the trenches from last year. I would expect to see "Yoshi" Hardrick, Brent Qvale, Mike Caputo, Nick Ash, and maybe Brandon Chapek on the field at some point during the game.

DL - I don't think there will much of a surprise from defensive line, we just will see some new faces and what they are capable of. Such as Jason Ankrah, Kenny Anderson and Josh Williams. Maybe see the McDermott's brothers out there, who knows? They won't line up Crick and Baker on the same, that would be unfair, much like Suh and Crick from last year. I expect Crick will line up with Moore on the Red, and Baker/Randle on the White, I wouldn't be surprised to see Justin Jackson out there in 2nd half.

LB - Here is where my eyes are going to be for the game, seeing just how much Fisher, May, Compton have improved during the offseason and see just how Martin is coping with being on the field for more than minute for special teams. Expect to see Whaley, Stoddard, Kreikemeier and Holt out there with them.

CB - Not too worried about seeing this group take the field, we all know everyone is coming back, though i would not be surprised to see a few new names out there such as Middleton, Blue, Green, and Washington.

S - P.J. Smith, Thenarse, Hagg, Gomes, Cassidy and Courtney Osborne. That is who I am expecting to see playing at the safety spot at some point during the game.

Quarterback, linebacker and safety are all going to be really interesting positions to watch with so many guys in the mix and battling for positions. D line as well.

So much competition this year. I can't wait to see what players come out if it and end up as our starters.

snacks.gif

Should be interesting. I believe they had a school-yard type "draft" for each team last year, so it wasn't even by depth chart. Not sure what they'll do this year. We've heard rumors of 1's vs 1's but have to wait and see.

Mendoza is now at CB. And Ryan Hill is at H-back, which is a hybrid TE/FB.

Sorry, i saw Mendoza under IB on Huskers.com, so I thought they moved him back there. It would be interesting to see how he performs at CB.

No worries. Just trying to get the info correct. Who is Brandon Chapek?

I agree with most of your assessment. I'll be keeping my eyes on three areas: OL, LB, and S, in that order.

Sorry, i saw Mendoza under IB on Huskers.com, so I thought they moved him back there. It would be interesting to see how he performs at CB.

I agree with most of your assessment. I'll be keeping my eyes on three areas: OL, LB, and S, in that order.

6'5" 305 lb Redshirt Freshman from Wahoo, NE, he wasn't talked very highly about, but his size gave him a lot of potential. I am curious to see how he has fair so far in the system.

6'5" 305 lb Redshirt Freshman from Wahoo, NE, he wasn't talked very highly about, but his size gave him a lot of potential. I am curious to see how he has fair so far in the system.

Oh that's how I recognize his name. He went to Wahoo-Neumann right?

Oh that's how I recognize his name. He went to Wahoo-Neumann right?

Yes he did.

*watching the LSU spring game for giggles. I have to say, I'm not impressed. Compared to the Husker Spring game, they are pretty soft, and boring.

I saw you mentioned Yoshi in there. I know they said he would play with that cast on his left hand, but I saw him today and that left hand/arm was in a sling with that cast still on....anyone here about him possibly injuring something else too?

So wait, his hand is broken? I thought it was an April Fool's joke? Damn that sucks. I hope his recovery is swift enough for him to compete in summer and fall camp.

I saw you mentioned Yoshi in there. I know they said he would play with that cast on his left hand, but I saw him today and that left hand/arm was in a sling with that cast still on....anyone here about him possibly injuring something else too?

So wait, his hand is broken? I thought it was an April Fool's joke? Damn that sucks. I hope his recovery is swift enough for him to compete in summer and fall camp.

From what I've heard it's not slowing him down any, so no worries.