Dear Kansas City Royals

As a young lad in 1987, I became a fan of a team that I thought ruled. They were good, never great but good. They were competitively playing for the playoffs nearly every year until the strike in 94, but were never quite good enough to finish above 3rd place in the American League. But who cared, I got to watch great fielders, hitters and pitchers. I got to see batting titles won, CY Young’s claimed and even a no hitter. I had heroes that wore that powdered blue. I tried to learn to bat lefty so i could be just like my hero, old' #5. I spent at least 10 summer days a year at Royals Stadium, Kauffman Stadium and the "K" for nearly 20 years. I have bought countless items and merchandise with that famous KC on it. I have watched thousands of games on TV. I have always been a fan of the big blue.

However after a Ewing Kauffman died, this franchise died also. A lack of money being spent and investment in young talent allowed a fruitful farm system to dry up. Then trading away great talent for minor league players and scrap head vets. Signing 8 dirt cheap players instead of making a good investment on a worthy player. And generally sucking for 16 straight seasons with the exception of a fluke in 2003 has caused me to grow angrier and angrier. Fact of the matter is I would be pumped if you went .500 Kansas City Royals. I really would. I don’t even care that you don’t win the division. Just compete. Just act like you really want to try. All of last year your bull pen sucked. So logically, in KC royal fashion you did nothing to address that problem. So today here we sit at 3-5 after blowing what is the 3rd game of the year with your crappy bullpen. But today you did it in true royals’ fashion. 6 straight runs in the 7th inning while holding a 5-0 lead. Best of all it took 4 pitchers to get out the inning and 2 of the 3 walks you had came around to score. The other resulted in a score because the bases were loaded.

So the same problem that nobody addressed is still costing you wins today. This team should be in first place. Instead they sit at the bottom like usual. Today I quit you KC. I refuse to spend another single cent on you until something changes. I will not watch another second of a game until you start acting like you care. My heart hurts watching and writing this, I have suffered much more than I have smiled over these years as a fan. I can no longer invest my heart into you. I can no longer suffer the losses, because god knows there are nearly 100 of them every year.

As of today, my 23 years of loving, defending & hoping for you, Kansas City Royals has come to a close. Maybe one day we can have what we once had. Call me again when you finally start to care as much as I do.....

I have been a fan since 1977. One of the biggest problems KC has is that the ownership refuses to spend money on GREAT players! Hell, I lost count at how many great players KC had come up through the farm league, and then lose them because they didn't want to spend the cash to keep them. Our relief pitching has been sh**ty for over 10 years now. Until they address the pitiful pitching staff (relief and closers), it will the same thing season after seaon!

I'll grant you the middle relief, but you have the "Mexicutioner" closing. Which is awesome.

Seriouisly though, it sucks when management doesn't try. I've always though if there's a salary cap, there should be a minimum you have to spend as well.

I was named after George Brett because he was a stud during the late 70's early 80's and was my dads favorite major league baseball player.

I'm not a Royals fan but a Cubs fan so I can feel your pain since the Cubs haven't won a World Series since 1908. Our time is coming soon and its going to get better with the Rickett family now taking ownership. Just hang in there

There is a big difference between the Cubbies and the Royals. The Royals just plain suck. Yes the Cubs havent won the Series in over 100 years. But they are often competitive and have made the playoffs 4 times since 98. I know they are not elite, and always seem to have it blow up in their face. But atleast they are there. Atleast they spend the money, try to improve. It may not work, but they try. All the Royals have done is mananage to lose 100 games nearly every year. Trade away multiple franchise players and every fall i get to watch former Royals play key roles in their teams playoff and WS runs.

It just sucks. It doesnt even feel like they try. They have had ONE winning season since 94. That was clearly a fluke and they barely finished above .500. So after this year, that would mean that over the last 16 seasons we have made it to .500 or above only once. That is epic failure if I have ever seen it.

I would do cartwheels in the street if this team finished above .500. I was so happy in 03. I dont know that i missed a game all season. I would stay home till the game was over. That summer revovled around the Royals. IT WAS GREAT! If the Royals made the playoffs I have to admit I would probably cry from happiness. I really do care that much. And thats the reason i just cant do it any more. It drains you. I sure i will still see box scores. Maybe even catch highlights. I just refuses to invest any more emotionally into that team until things change.

I've been a fan of the cubs and royals my whole life. I am with fro in my boycot of the team. I was really upset when the ownership moved the wranglers to arkansas, and as far as I know the owner still lives in bentonville. This may sound greedy but I want an owner commited enough to move to kansas city and take care of the day to day opperations.

As for the good players the royals have brought up and then either traded or left due to not being offered any money. Beltran, Damon and one og the Giambis just off the top of my head.

I've been a fan of the cubs and royals my whole life. I am with fro in my boycot of the team. I was really upset when the ownership moved the wranglers to arkansas, and as far as I know the owner still lives in bentonville. This may sound greedy but I want an owner commited enough to move to kansas city and take care of the day to day opperations.

As for the good players the royals have brought up and then either traded or left due to not being offered any money. Beltran, Damon and one og the Giambis just off the top of my head.

Don't forget Bret Saberhagen, David Cone, and Jermaine Dye. The list goes on and on!

I had high hopes when Dayton Moore became GM since he learned under the great John Schuerholz who built the Royals then the Braves. I was really shaking my head at many of his moves the first few years but did like this off season picking up Pods, Fields and Ankiel. Last night I saw the Royals are in the top 3 in all five team offensive categories. Now if only the bull pen situation can be addressed. FARNSWORTH!!! :steam

I've been a lifelong Royals fan. Through all the ups-and-downs of the late 70's to the 80's and of course the awesomeness of the '85 World Series Championship. While I admit that I don't follow baseball as rigorously as Husker football, I still follow them and have continued to stay loyal to them regardless of their cellar dweller status.

They obviously have a lot of issues that I don't care to address because some of you have addressed some of those issues already. Needless to say, they'll always be my team until the end. But it sure would be nice to be in contention at least once in every 5 years or so.