CB Tevin Mitchel

Nexus

I added him on Facebook him and Jamal Turner seem to be pretty good friends already along with Moore.

Prepare for the backlash from older Sker fans that think friend'ing players on facebook is freaky, childish, and should be outlawed. When I was in college I did it. It's fun to be friends with Huskers, and that is a scientific fact!

I added him on Facebook him and Jamal Turner seem to be pretty good friends already along with Moore.

Prepare for the backlash from older Sker fans that think friend'ing players on facebook is freaky, childish, and should be outlawed. When I was in college I did it. It's fun to be friends with Huskers, and that is a scientific fact!

Hey if you go to UNL, you can just say that you're friending classmates.

There's a distinction between players and recruits. For RECRUITS, it is a completely different story. The relationship between 'fan' and 'recruit' is absolutely forbidden. Note the Message from the NU Athletic Department Staff we have posted here.

NCAA rules and regulations are complex to say the least, but one area that is completely straightforward is fan communication with recruits. If any fans, boosters, alumni (or any other supporters) of Nebraska has any contact (e.g., in-person, instant message, text message, e-mail, fax, etc.) whatsoever with a recruit there are could be serious consequences such as:

The University of Nebraska would have an NCAA violation to report to the NCAA enforcement staff;

The recruit would become ineligible to participate in athletics at Nebraska, and before any of our coaches could continue to contact the recruit, we would have to rule him/her ineligible and then seek reinstatement through the NCAA office; and

The fan/booster/alumni involved could jeopardize their standing with the University of Nebraska athletic department.

Basically...don't do it. It's non-negotiable, whether you go to UNL or not.

There's a distinction between players and recruits. For RECRUITS, it is a completely different story. The relationship between 'fan' and 'recruit' is absolutely forbidden. Note the Message from the NU Athletic Department Staff we have posted here.

NCAA rules and regulations are complex to say the least, but one area that is completely straightforward is fan communication with recruits. If any fans, boosters, alumni (or any other supporters) of Nebraska has any contact (e.g., in-person, instant message, text message, e-mail, fax, etc.) whatsoever with a recruit there are could be serious consequences such as:

The University of Nebraska would have an NCAA violation to report to the NCAA enforcement staff;

The recruit would become ineligible to participate in athletics at Nebraska, and before any of our coaches could continue to contact the recruit, we would have to rule him/her ineligible and then seek reinstatement through the NCAA office; and

The fan/booster/alumni involved could jeopardize their standing with the University of Nebraska athletic department.

Basically...don't do it. It's non-negotiable, whether you go to UNL or not.

What if the recruit adds you?

that is a very gray area imo, thats like saying that if you were friends with Tevin a year ago and you are also a husker fan that you can no longer be friends with him and can no longer speak with him because he committed to the Nebraska Cornhuskers...

You're right, there's gray area there. I don't think it would apply in that case. But there's a difference between being friends with the guy outside of a recruiting context, and also being a fan of a team (who's not a fan of some team, anyway) and having the contact be based on a purely "Recruit and Fan of Given School" basis. Which means for the 99% of us who aren't family or didn't go to school or church or whatever with these recruits who have threads here, we really shouldn't be facebooking them.

that is a very gray area imo, thats like saying that if you were friends with Tevin a year ago and you are also a husker fan that you can no longer be friends with him and can no longer speak with him because he committed to the Nebraska Cornhuskers...

You're right, there's gray area there. I don't think it would apply in that case. But there's a difference between being friends with the guy outside of a recruiting context, and also being a fan of a team (who's not a fan of some team, anyway) and having the contact be based on a purely "Recruit and Fan of Given School" basis. Which means for the 99% of us who aren't family or didn't go to school or church or whatever with these recruits who have threads here, we really shouldn't be facebooking them.

I would hate to have a fan of NU commit a NCAA violation based on contact with a recruit. Friending them on facebook can wait until the are officially enrolled as a student. Can you imagine the comments the head coach would make if a fan cause an NCAA violation? I wouldn't want to be identified as a person that caused the school harm in their recruiting efforts.

It seems to me that as the functions recruits and students use facebook for expand, it becomes really problematic to try to regulate "friending". I am friends with a few of the current players (who I met on a tour after a game), and they post comments about practice performance, links to highlight footage, etc. all the time. I can only assume this is true across the board. I don't message these guys, don't try to have a creepy relationship with them or anything, and they clearly are using the site to disseminate information in an impersonal way. Personally, I love getting those updates. With that function in mind, I think "friending" is totally reasonable, and in some ways less stalker-ish than a rivals (or any recruiting service) subscription.

Kris