Missouri - Nebraska Victory Bell?

Fuzzy

Maybe this is a little off topic, but what are the reasons as to why the Big 10 wants Missouri?

I'm assuming that a capture of the Kansas City/St Louis market is very desirable, and a driving force, but is it assumed that the team has lasting staying power? I also read something about academic classifications and Missouri was a member. And geographically, the natural expansion seems to be slightly east or west, which does include Missouri.

I don't pretend to be that close to the program, but as an outsider, it seems like the program got off the floormat in the last 5-10 years. Even then, their record can't be much over .500 or .600 in that time. Certainly 07 and 08 were good years, but has the team proven that they can compete consistently?

They appear to be putting together some good recruiting classes, and I'm sure their fan base is galvanized, but what happens to those fans when the team has 2 or 3 losing seasons? Are the most fans on the bandwagon right now, or has there always been a good base group? Not only that, but is there an interest within Big 10 country to even watch tiger football?

My opinion would be that Missouri does not seem to be a proven commodity, and as such seems to be a somewhat risky addition to the big 10 (although much more desirable that an Iowa St, K St, Kansas, etc.)

Maybe this is a little off topic, but what are the reasons as to why the Big 10 wants Missouri?

I'm assuming that a capture of the Kansas City/St Louis market is very desirable, and a driving force, but is it assumed that the team has lasting staying power? I also read something about academic classifications and Missouri was a member. And geographically, the natural expansion seems to be slightly east or west, which does include Missouri.

I don't pretend to be that close to the program, but as an outsider, it seems like the program got off the floormat in the last 5-10 years. Even then, their record can't be much over .500 or .600 in that time. Certainly 07 and 08 were good years, but has the team proven that they can compete consistently?

They appear to be putting together some good recruiting classes, and I'm sure their fan base is galvanized, but what happens to those fans when the team has 2 or 3 losing seasons? Are the most fans on the bandwagon right now, or has there always been a good base group? Not only that, but is there an interest within Big 10 country to even watch tiger football?

My opinion would be that Missouri does not seem to be a proven commodity, and as such seems to be a somewhat risky addition to the big 10 (although much more desirable that an Iowa St, K St, Kansas, etc.)

I wouldn't say it like that, as it kind of puts Missouri on a pedestal. But, the St. Louis T.V. market would be a nice market for the Big 10 to stick it's ugly nose in.

Second, I can't remember the name of that academic association, but Nebraska also belongs to it. However, Missouri does outrank UNL by a few spots on overall academic rankings.

Third, their record over the last decade is slightly worse than Nebraska's, but mainly because they weren't very good in the early 2000's. I did the math a few weeks ago, and I don't remember the numbers, but I do know that Nebraska won like 10 or 15 more games over the last decade.

Fourth, I don't think their fans are on the bandwagon, I just think they finally have a reason to cheer for the football team after years of not having any reasons. As far as interest in them, they don't have the football pull that Nebraska clearly does. However, they have a pretty good basketball team. They have a nice inter-conference rivalry with Illinois going, but I really don't personally know a whole lot of people that are interested in watching that game outside of Illinois and Missouri.

I think all of the teams are on a pretty even keel right now as far as expansion goes. They all have pluses and minus's. You probably hear a lot of Missouri fans talking about leaving the Big 12 though because many of them feel the Big 12 hates them. At least, that's how TB feels.

Stupid Question time... Didnt Nebraska have rivalry with Minnesota back in the 30's and 40's when Minnesota was actually pretty good???

yah, and more to the point the gophers have the better record in this series.

Believe it... OR NOT!

I knew that after looking up some info on the series a year or two ago. The good news is, they haven't beaten us in 50 years. And we'll always have 1983.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF_94kfQv_4

I wouldn't say it like that, as it kind of puts Missouri on a pedestal. But, the St. Louis T.V. market would be a nice market for the Big 10 to stick it's ugly nose in.

Second, I can't remember the name of that academic association, but Nebraska also belongs to it. However, Missouri does outrank UNL by a few spots on overall academic rankings.

Third, their record over the last decade is slightly worse than Nebraska's, but mainly because they weren't very good in the early 2000's. I did the math a few weeks ago, and I don't remember the numbers, but I do know that Nebraska won like 10 or 15 more games over the last decade.

Fourth, I don't think their fans are on the bandwagon, I just think they finally have a reason to cheer for the football team after years of not having any reasons. As far as interest in them, they don't have the football pull that Nebraska clearly does. However, they have a pretty good basketball team. They have a nice inter-conference rivalry with Illinois going, but I really don't personally know a whole lot of people that are interested in watching that game outside of Illinois and Missouri.

I think all of the teams are on a pretty even keel right now as far as expansion goes. They all have pluses and minus's. You probably hear a lot of Missouri fans talking about leaving the Big 12 though because many of them feel the Big 12 hates them. At least, that's how TB feels.

There are 3 ways to look at Mu's recent football records. The 1st is from 97, MU's first winning season and bowl game since 83'. The 2nd is from GP's hiring in 2001. The 3rd is from 2003, which is what many MU fans feel was the start of the turnaround.

From 97-2009 - 89 wins, 70 losses. (.559 WP)This includes 5 season with 5 wins or less. Avg of 6.84 wins to 5.38 losses

From 01-09 - 67 wins, 46 losses. (.592 WP) This includes 3 seasons with 5 wins or less. Avg of 7.44 wins to 5.11 losses

From 03-09 - 58 wins, 32 losses. (.644 WP) This includes 1 losing season with 5 wins. Avg of 9.66 wins to 5.33 losses

The other thing to remember is conferences play more than one sport (I know that’s hard for some in Nebraska to understand ;) ) And the BIG10 is a BIG basketball conference. MU brings a well rounded Ath. Dept. They are pretty solid in a number of sports. Football, Basketball (2 elite 8's in the 00's and 6 NCAA tourney bids)Baseball (8 straight NCAA bids), Wrestling ( a number of top 5 & top 10 finishes' and 3 individual NC's in the 00's)

Overall, Mu is better than average. They may even classify as good. But don’t get me wrong they are not elite. I wounldn't even call them great. But with that said they present a pretty strong resume compared to other schools being talked about. And Enhance is right that a lot of MU fans feel like the BIG12 doesn't stick up for MU. But when you have had multiple teams get the shaft over the past few years including having a big12 official as the head of a tourney committee and having the league champion MU team be the first team ever to win a league championship and be left out of post season play in your sport. You might feel slighted as a fan base also.

**Enhance i check the numbers since I was pulling them up anyways.

00-09 for NU was 84 Wins, 44 Losses

00-09 for MU was 70 Wins, 54 Losses

Not too great of a difference considering the polor opposites the teams were at for the first 4 years of the decade. Nebraska winning atleast 10 games 3 of those years and going .500 in the other. Mu had 1 winning season of 8-5, and 3 seasons with 5 or less wins.

Actually since 04 (last 6 years) NU is 46-30 with 2 losing seasons and MU is 50-27 with one losing season

• Fire 1

There are 3 ways to look at Mu's recent football records. The 1st is from 97, MU's first winning season and bowl game since 83'. The 2nd is from GP's hiring in 2001. The 3rd is from 2003, which is what many MU fans feel was the start of the turnaround.

From 97-2009 - 89 wins, 70 losses. (.559 WP)This includes 5 season with 5 wins or less. Avg of 6.84 wins to 5.38 losses

From 01-09 - 67 wins, 46 losses. (.592 WP) This includes 3 seasons with 5 wins or less. Avg of 7.44 wins to 5.11 losses

From 03-09 - 58 wins, 32 losses. (.644 WP) This includes 1 losing season with 5 wins. Avg of 9.66 wins to 5.33 losses

The other thing to remember is conferences play more than one sport (I know that’s hard for some in Nebraska to understand ;) ) And the BIG10 is a BIG basketball conference. MU brings a well rounded Ath. Dept. They are pretty solid in a number of sports. Football, Basketball (2 elite 8's in the 00's and 6 NCAA tourney bids)Baseball (8 straight NCAA bids), Wrestling ( a number of top 5 & top 10 finishes' and 3 individual NC's in the 00's)

Overall, Mu is better than average. They may even classify as good. But don’t get me wrong they are not elite. I wounldn't even call them great. But with that said they present a pretty strong resume compared to other schools being talked about. And Enhance is right that a lot of MU fans feel like the BIG12 doesn't stick up for MU. But when you have had multiple teams get the shaft over the past few years including having a big12 official as the head of a tourney committee and having the league champion MU team be the first team ever to win a league championship and be left out of post season play in your sport. You might feel slighted as a fan base also.

Not too great of a difference considering the polor opposites the teams were at for the first 4 years of the decade. Nebraska winning atleast 10 games 3 of those years and going .500 in the other. Mu had 1 winning season of 8-5, and 3 seasons with 5 or less wins.

Actually since 04 (last 6 years) NU is 46-30 with 2 losing seasons and MU is 50-27 with one losing season

I love me some stats. Thanks for finding those numbers again.

I would agree that Missouri has been royally shafted, especially in 2007 football, having only lost to Oklahoma twice and then Kansas leap frogging MU into a BCS game. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Kansas leap frog because their national ranking was higher than MU's after the Big 12 title game? Or was it more of a subjective stance by the BCS committee to invite a one loss KU team?

I would agree that Missouri has been royally shafted, especially in 2007 football, having only lost to Oklahoma twice and then Kansas leap frogging MU into a BCS game. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Kansas leap frog because their national ranking was higher than MU's after the Big 12 title game? Or was it more of a subjective stance by the BCS committee to invite a one loss KU team?

it was because of the one loss. Even though MU was higher in both polls, higher in the BCS, won the head to head, won the division and had beaten i believe 5 ranked teams to KU's 0 zero wins against teams with a winning record.

..... <_< I'm still a little sore over that if you couldnt tell. ;)

:lol:

With talks of the Big 10 expansion, one of the most underlying issues that came across my mind is that if missouri or nebraska leaves the Big 12 for the Big 10, without taking the other one as well. What will happen to the Missouri - Nebraska rivarly and the Victory trophy that we have played for every year since 1922. The rivarly itself dates back to 1892, so if Missouri leaves without Nebraska or vice versa, what happens to the trophy and the rivalry?

Unfortunately, It goes by the wayside like OU-NU, Texas-Arkansas, Miami-Florida, and probably a dozen others that I cant think of.

Stupid Question time... Didnt Nebraska have rivalry with Minnesota back in the 30's and 40's when Minnesota was actually pretty good???

a la "Coach" opening credits?

I thought that football said Nebraska State on it, but I could be wrong. Ha ha.

With talks of the Big 10 expansion, one of the most underlying issues that came across my mind is that if missouri or nebraska leaves the Big 12 for the Big 10, without taking the other one as well. What will happen to the Missouri - Nebraska rivarly and the Victory trophy that we have played for every year since 1922. The rivarly itself dates back to 1892, so if Missouri leaves without Nebraska or vice versa, what happens to the trophy and the rivalry?

Unfortunately, It goes by the wayside like OU-NU, Texas-Arkansas, Miami-Florida, and probably a dozen others that I cant think of.

a la "Coach" opening credits?

I thought that football said Nebraska State on it, but I could be wrong. Ha ha.

i tried to find it on google images, but i couldn't, i do remember vividly my dad alway pointing it out to me on the occasions we watched 'coach', and i was very proud, even though i really did not know about the rivalry or minnesota's football bona fides.

it was because of the one loss. Even though MU was higher in both polls, higher in the BCS, won the head to head, won the division and had beaten i believe 5 ranked teams to KU's 0 zero wins against teams with a winning record.

..... <_< I'm still a little sore over that if you couldnt tell. ;)

:lol:

You seem rather serene about the whole situation. ;)