Stewart Mandel on NU's Defense

Mailbag

Why on earth, after losing arguably the best defensive player of the past decade (Ndamukong Suh), would head coach Bo Pelini say his Nebraska defense will be "five times" better this year?

-- Shane Johnston, Raleigh, N.C.

I'd say partially because Bo's a little nutty like that, but mostly because he holds his defenses to near-impossible standards. While most of us remember Suh and Co. teeing off on Colt McCoy in the Big 12 title game, blanking Arizona in the Holiday Bowl and generally playing at a national-championship level most of the season, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Pelini spent much of the winter seething about the Blackshirts' last-minute collapse at Virginia Tech or their one notable debacle against Texas Tech.

But he's not completely crazy. On paper, Nebraska's defense should be as good or better than last season's. (It won't be five times better, because that would require allowing 54 yards per game). As dominant as Suh was, Jared Crick was an All-America-caliber performer on the defensive line as well, and Pierre Allen wasn't far off. They both return. Four solid cornerbacks return, as well as safety Eric Hagg.

But the biggest reason there's such lofty expectations for this defense is that so many of the returning players were largely unsung when Pelini arrived. Not only has he developed them, but his most talented recruits are only now breaking into the lineup or the depth chart. In other words, he knows his defense is only getting better, which is truly scary considering the way it played last season.

Now if he could just find an offense...

Always back to the offense...but it's fair. Good response from Mandel.

Yeah, Stewie's always been pretty fair towards us. Back when Lincoln still had a local sports radio show he would come on every few weeks and give a pretty good, pretty fair analysis of our team and our chances. I've always liked Mandel, and not just because he's printed a few of my letters.

When did everyone who watches college football become so stupid? I know we're biased, but seriously, how can people think the loss of ONE SINGLE PLAYER will cause out defense to fall off the face of the earth?

Oh well, guess we'll just have to show them.

:bonez

Well, it's more like 'how can people think the loss of the single most dominant defensive player in fifteen years will cause the defense to become five times better?'

I think that's a reasonable concern.

When did everyone who watches college football become so stupid? I know we're biased, but seriously, how can people think the loss of ONE SINGLE PLAYER will cause out defense to fall off the face of the earth?

Well, it's more like 'how can people think the loss of the single most dominant defensive player in fifteen years will cause the defense to become five times better?'

Agreed. Suh was one of a kind.

Thats right all you naysayers..... To quote Jake Taylor from Major League, "Theirs only one thing left to do, win the whole f#$@)ng thing." :bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

Thats right all you naysayers..... To quote Jake Taylor from Major League, "Theirs only one thing left to do, win the whole f#$@)ng thing." :bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

it's not often you get to quote tom berenger

I agree.

It's great Bo has such high expectations of his Blackshirts. He's simply an incredible DC. When he gets an offense that's better than the local high schools he'll be in the TO/Devaney league. There's a very good chance he'll get there.

We NU fans are soooo lucky!

Everyone knew when Pelini was hired that the expectation around this program was going to be to have a consistent top 15 defense year in and year out. Getting better after Suh is a helluva challenge, but with a greater saturation of Pelini players with experience in the system and a lot of guys returning, top 5 would be my early guess.