Osborne awaits parameters

The speculation continues...

We know the Pac-10 and Big Ten have stated publicly they are studying the possibility of expansion.

It's what we don't know that intrigues us more than, well, just about anything.

"Really, until these conferences make up their mind what they want to do, and start making offers one way or another, it's hard to assess the landscape," Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne told me Monday. "You just don't know for sure what they're thinking. And obviously they have not called us, and they have not informed us what they're thinking.

"It's not that we're just sitting here not doing anything," he added. "But you can't all of a sudden begin to make a lot of phone calls to people when you don't even know what the parameters are."

If the Big Ten made an overture to Nebraska, Osborne obviously would listen, he said.

"We have to listen to anything," he said, reiterating past comments. "Because if it looks like the Big 12 is going to take a real big hit, and lose two or three or four teams, then you'd have to take a look. If, on the other hand, it looks like the Big 12 is staying intact, then that's another issue.

"There's no way anybody at this point can know."

If the Big Ten adds five teams, as many have speculated, "Then there's a good chance somehow the Big 12 will be involved, one way or another," Osborne said. "Maybe it'd be Missouri, maybe it'd be Iowa State, maybe it'd be Texas. You don't know.

"But if they're going to add five teams, there's a pretty good chance at least part of the expansion would come this way."

In other words, stay tuned.

LINK

I would suggest that if they're going to expand even ONE team, they're going to float an offer to us. They'd be fools not to. Maybe it's not an offer we want, maybe it's just a courtesy, but this isn't a program or a University that you just ignore in a process like this.

I would suggest that if they're going to expand even ONE team, they're going to float an offer to us. They'd be fools not to. Maybe it's not an offer we want, maybe it's just a courtesy, but this isn't a program or a University that you just ignore in a process like this.

I can't help but wonder if there was more to Jim Tressel's visit recently? T.O. took him on a guided tour of the campus to show him the updated facilities and whatnot because Tressel had mentioned that when he was coaching at Youngstown St. years ago, him and his staff would visit T.O. in the mid-90's to get some pointers.

It makes me wonder if Tressel was sent under the umbrella of the FCA only to report back to his AD who in turn relayed whatever info. to Delaney? It's not far-fetched if you really consider the timing of these recent rumors.

On top of that, it also has to help that Barry Alvarez is a Nebraska alumnus and would be in favor of bringing Nebraska into the Big Ten. I think he'd campaign for us if need be.

I can't help but wonder if there was more to Jim Tressel's visit recently? T.O. took him on a guided tour of the campus to show him the updated facilities and whatnot because Tressel had mentioned that when he was coaching at Youngstown St. years ago, him and his staff would visit T.O. in the mid-90's to get some pointers.

It makes me wonder if Tressel was sent under the umbrella of the FCA only to report back to his AD who in turn relayed whatever info. to Delaney? It's not far-fetched if you really consider the timing of these recent rumors.

On top of that, it also has to help that Barry Alvarez is a Nebraska alumnus and would be in favor of bringing Nebraska into the Big Ten. I think he'd campaign for us if need be.

This is almost exactly what I was thinking after the expansion announcement by Delaney. That they were, in a way, helping make Nebraska look like a good choice to the big wigs.

This is about money knap, nothing else.

Do we or are we capable of making more money for them.

National prominence somewhat. This is not the 90's. We really have not done much lately, no matter how we stack it up.

Does the National following make up for the lack of TV's tuned to the Network. Is it a good enough draw to make advertisers want to jump on board.

Financially Rutgers is the one it seems to me that is the cash cow.

Man I wish I knew, still just pie in the sky.

i think if they were to get only one team, it would be missouri or pitt. biggest markets. i think that is their concern first and foremost. once they grow their market, they can look around for more qualitative (for a lack of a better word) additions. also, having missouri might make NU more appealing because NU would be more interested in a Big 10 with Iowa and Missouri. Neb fans would probably still watch missouri and iowa games even when NU isn't playing them. otherwise the nebraska market is limited to only NU games, because it would take a while for NU fans to gain an interest in the other Big 10 games that may be on television in Neb.

Welcome to the conversation. We've been discussing the financial side of this for days now. Financially, Nebraska makes as much sense as anybody mentioned so far due to TV ratings across several one sports.

There, fixed it for you. :):thumbs

Welcome to the conversation. We've been discussing the financial side of this for days now. Financially, Nebraska makes as much sense as anybody mentioned so far due to TV ratings across several sports.

Volleyball, women's basketball, gymnastics, bowling... these are just the most recent examples of teams at Nebraska that have succeeded nationally. Nebraska volleyball usually pays its own way, and baseball has made money in the past few years as well.

It's simplistic to just think of Nebraska as a one-sport school. Be better than that.

• Fire 2

Welcome to the conversation. We've been discussing the financial side of this for days now. Financially, Nebraska makes as much sense as anybody mentioned so far due to TV ratings across several sports.

Volleyball, women's basketball, gymnastics, bowling... these are just the most recent examples of teams at Nebraska that have succeeded nationally. Nebraska volleyball usually pays its own way, and baseball has made money in the past few years as well.

It's simplistic to just think of Nebraska as a one-sport school. Be better than that.

I am guessing he was making the point that the only sport that truly brings in TV revenue is football. It doesn't really matter how good you are at other sports other than bball because other than in the Big Ten with the BTN most other sports are never on TV. That would be another benefit to being in the B10 though - all of those non-football olympic sports events that will be shown.

I am guessing he was making the point that the only sport that truly brings in TV revenue is football. It doesn't really matter how good you are at other sports other than bball because other than in the Big Ten with the BTN most other sports are never on TV. That would be another benefit to being in the B10 though - all of those non-football olympic sports events that will be shown.

Which Nebraska would be excellent at. In particular we have a huge following for women's volleyball.

and its rose colored glasses to believe any of those carry viewership or are money makers. Knapp you know one year does not make anything.

Baseball has made nothing the past few years. 50 people at a game isnt great veiwership. WBB gave away free tickets to get people to show up and still nobody cared. And that areana was still 2/3rds empty until 3/4ths of the season was over.

YOU are a rare breed Knapp. you follow everything. You are a champion for Nebraska womens sports. However. the vast majority of husker land could care less about those sports espessically womens sports. Your one, one point that even makes any arguement is WVB. even that is dependent upon playing for national titles. If that team was average the attendance would be below average. I was here before the BOOM, i know all about your fans volleyball loyalties. I know your fanbase. Just like all the NE baseball fans from 6 years ago. That neither care nor know anything about husker baseball now. That nearly new baseball staduim has sat empty for going on 3 years.

and gymnastics and bowling??!! :laughpound Seriously knapp. be better than that.

Your were talking about TV viewers my friend, your really stretching now. Nebraska has TV veiwership for ONE sport. ONE. There are a great number of viewer for that one sport. More than many other schools for that one sport. But you are really stretching to claim anything else. Nothing to be ashamed of, just the truth.

And remember that everyone elses small sports will be show also, not just NE's. I would bet besides Ne VB you will see no difference. Execpt for maybe the MU swimming and diving team. I am sure they will draw much better in the big10 meets than the chuckers who are bowling for Nebraska. :facepalm:

Nebraska has been second in the nation (to Hawaii) in volleyball attendance since the early 90s. This isn't some new phenomenon.

And while the rest of our sports aren't well-attended, they're comparable to the same sports at other schools. Again, your contention that the ONLY sport we follow at Nebraska is football is not borne out by facts.

Sure, the baseball team's attendance waxes and wanes with their success. Show me a school whose baseball team - or any other sport, for that matter - doesn't show the same attendance based on on-field success.

The fact is that Nebraskans have shown, across a variety of sports, that when there's a decent product on the field/court to watch, we'll be there in the stands or watching it on TV.

That is exactly the point. A 1.8 draw for 30 basketball games (much like what MU. PITT. SYRACUSE would all draw) is nearly as much as NE draws for Football. Then add in those schools FB draws which would be easily 4-5 time or more what NE draws for MBB and you see the point. NO amount of Womens bowling and gymanstics can make up the differnce.

That is exactly the point. A 1.8 draw for 30 basketball games (much like what MU. PITT. SYRACUSE would all draw) is nearly as much as NE draws for Football. Then add in those schools FB draws which would be easily 4-5 time or more what NE draws for MBB and you see the point. NO amount of Womens bowling and gymanstics can make up the differnce.

So now you're comparing other school's football programs to our bowling and gymnastics programs? Come again?