the sporting news breaks down the seasons qb battles

Not much new info given, but they do break down all the opwn qb slots across the nation. Lee is their projected starter.

Nebraska

Redshirt freshman Taylor Martinez wowed with his consistency as a runner and thrower all spring. Cody Green, last year's backup, impressed at times, too. They'll join last year' starter, Zac Lee, who missed spring ball recovering from a shoulder injury"Having Zac down gives us a chance to develop some depth," offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said. "But one of those guys could certainly win the job.

Predicted starter: Lee

sporting news

Here is hoping Lee will recover and show us that most of what was wrong last year was directly related to injury.

:wtf

In almost every game last year, Lee performed like someone who broke into the locker room, tied up the starting qb and ran onto the field in the starter's place. He looked bad because he was bad. He wasn't hurt THAT badly. Did you ever see him in pain? Was his arm ever hanging lifeless at his side? (Insert joke here) We are in serious trouble again if he starts!

What I want to know is, since I didn't get to see the spring game, what makes everyone think Martinez can't handle the job? The writer of the article seems to believe TMart was impressive this spring, yet most on this board don't see that ability considering what's been posted. For me to think TMart or even Cody or Kody won't be the starter, the surgeon would have to not only fixed Lee's tendon, but attached Joe Montana's arm to Zac's shoulder.

I'm sticking to my Zac won't be the starter this year stance. :cop:

Zac had that injury after the Virginia Tech game, it was reported at he end of the season. If that's when it happened, than I am also worried because he had another good passing game the next week. The coaches said they didn't say any thing, because the injury couldn't get any worse than it was, whether he played with it or not. Once we got into the Big-12 season, he didn't look to good. Better competition, sure, but why such a "big" drop off?

Don't put to much stock in the win over Arizona. They are an up and down team week after week, year after year. You never know which team will show up when they take the field. I hope Zac takes a big step up this year, because I think that the Q/B spot is the only real weak link, in this years team.

GBR!!!

It's impossible to judge the severity of Zac Lee's injury from a computer chair. His injury required surgery post-season, and he had to sit out spring ball. If anything he deserves credit for playing hurt last season, in which he made several key plays that contribuited to wins. He didn't whine once or hang is arm to the side when things weren't going well for the offense, he stuck in there and played through it.

That earns respect from your teammates. That's leadership.

Furthermore, T Mart has a lot to learn on the field. Bo's going for a national championship and having a returning starter QB is crucial.

GBR

Here is hoping Lee will recover and show us that most of what was wrong last year was directly related to injury.

In almost every game last year, Lee performed like someone who broke into the locker room, tied up the starting qb and ran onto the field in the starter's place. He looked bad because he was bad. He wasn't hurt THAT badly. Did you ever see him in pain? Was his arm ever hanging lifeless at his side? (Insert joke here) We are in serious trouble again if he starts!

What I want to know is, since I didn't get to see the spring game, what makes everyone think Martinez can't handle the job? The writer of the article seems to believe TMart was impressive this spring, yet most on this board don't see that ability considering what's been posted. For me to think TMart or even Cody or Kody won't be the starter, the surgeon would have to not only fixed Lee's tendon, but attached Joe Montana's arm to Zac's shoulder.

Weren't you the same guy who wanted Frankie London to start over Scott Frost? All kidding aside, a questionable offensive line and injuries at running back combined can make a good QB look pretty bad. How did a healthy Green look in comparison when he took over for Lee? Martinez is just not ready. Plain and simple. The coaches know what they are doing.

what are you talking about? seriously? are you drunk? is this a joke?

It's impossible to judge the severity of Zac Lee's injury from a computer chair. His injury required surgery post-season, and he had to sit out spring ball. If anything he deserves credit for playing hurt last season, in which he made several key plays that contribuited to wins. He didn't whine once or hang is arm to the side when things weren't going well for the offense, he stuck in there and played through it.

That earns respect from your teammates. That's leadership.

Furthermore, T Mart has a lot to learn on the field. Bo's going for a national championship and having a returning starter QB is crucial.

GBR

Even a crappy one? Seriously, if anyone who has been in the program for a full year can't beat out Lee, they shouldn't have their scholarship renewed. Time to transfer to UNO, if they'll have you. I promise, someone other than Lee is the qb next season. At least we better hope so! :w00t

A couple things I saw last year, that bothered me about Zac.

1.) When he scrambled he just ran for a yard or two and then ducked down, he looked like he was afraid of contact. From a guy who tried to wrestle with cracked ribs, playing with an injury will make you scared of contact. This is pretty obvious, if you have an injury that requires surgery to repair, it will hurt very badly when said injury is hit.

2.) Zac seemed jittery in the pocket. Once again if your injuried you will become over protective of the injury. The jitters we saw were more than likely because he was afraid of getting scked hard and putting his already painfull arm in even more pain.

3.) He often under threw recievers and made poor decisions. This falls right in line with number two the fear of putting the injury in more pain causd Zac to make throws and decisions he would not make while healthy. The underthrowing of recieverfs can easily be attributed to his injury.

Those are the three main complaints I had/heard about Lee and how I feel they were caused by his injury. I could be wrong, but hope that I'm not I think a healthy Zac Lee can compete with any other QB in the Big 12 nextt year. Eithe way I stand firm behind the coaches I will cheer for any Husker under center and puut faith in the coaches that they picked the right guy for the job.

A couple things I saw last year, that bothered me about Zac.

1.) When he scrambled he just ran for a yard or two and then ducked down, he looked like he was afraid of contact. From a guy who tried to wrestle with cracked ribs, playing with an injury will make you scared of contact. This is pretty obvious, if you have an injury that requires surgery to repair, it will hurt very badly when said injury is hit.

2.) Zac seemed jittery in the pocket. Once again if your injuried you will become over protective of the injury. The jitters we saw were more than likely because he was afraid of getting scked hard and putting his already painfull arm in even more pain.

3.) He often under threw recievers and made poor decisions. This falls right in line with number two the fear of putting the injury in more pain causd Zac to make throws and decisions he would not make while healthy. The underthrowing of recieverfs can easily be attributed to his injury.

Those are the three main complaints I had/heard about Lee and how I feel they were caused by his injury. I could be wrong, but hope that I'm not I think a healthy Zac Lee can compete with any other QB in the Big 12 nextt year. Eithe way I stand firm behind the coaches I will cheer for any Husker under center and puut faith in the coaches that they picked the right guy for the job.

I remember some players saying that ZL's biggest problem was "happy feet". Didn't seem like it this year. If he can actually go through all his progressions (rather that just #24) and keep his head up while running, he could be a solid QB. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. sigh.....

what are you talking about? seriously? are you drunk? is this a joke?

You have a wild amount of faith in 'anyone other than Lee.' The writer of an article thinks Taylor shows promise...interesting logic.

You realize if we're going to have a run next year, we can't have mistakes from the point man. With a freshman or a sophomore quarterback, mistakes and growing pains are what we are going to get. Even if Taylor Martinez is Terrelle Pryor - which he isn't, nearly - there would still be those green rookie mistakes at this stage in his career. Like Green's pick six against Baylor. Those guys, if they get into the game, they're going to be as overgeeked up as Lee was last year.

Lee's getting the system down and cooling his nerves hopefully. We'll see a calmer and more composed QB in the pocket this year, is my prediction. With another year, Lee will only get better. The other guys? They still need to get decent.

Martinez has a long way to go...I'm not saying he can't win the job, but that was a pretty watered down D in the spring game. If we had our 1's in versus T.Mart, I don't think those runs would have been that impressive. He showed some promise though. I would expect the battle to come down to lee or green, with Martinez coming off the bench in some way