Beebe to give big 12 members with one foot out the door an ultimatum.

Can't blame him in the least. The Big 12 is being threatened to be torn apart. It's his conference. And all this waffling...yeah.

But all the members will probably go to the meetings, proclaim support for the Big 12, and still have an out to take if an offer that doesn't exist yet comes along.

this big ten expansion talk has been swirling around for awhile now, and he has said/done nothing. i think that is where a lot of the resentment/negativity is stemming from.

I guess I was naive in thinking that OU was anything but a shill for UT. Boren sounds like Beebe.

Delany is playing this perfectly, like people have said. He knows he will blow up the Big East by taking some teams from them and the Big 12. CU will jump as soon as Pac-10 calls and they will based on the mutual butt kissing in the papers between the two groups.

ND will have their hand forced in the end. Paul Tagliabue was hired to keep that from happening-defection, that is. If he senses losing schools, he would almost have to force Notre Dame's hand then. He wasn't brought in to just sit. I don't know that the Big East can offer anything to make those schools mentioned as leaving stay or to get Notre Dame to join in football or get out. As people have said, this is getting down to "cutting" time.

I don't know that I can see U$C and UT playing nice over money. That is two huuuuuge egos. They might be able to come up with something, but that something might come at the expense of OU, ATM, UCLA. It will certainly cause some more animosity. I'd still bet against the whole alliance if it is being used for contract leverage.

The SEC doesn't need UT and UT doesn't like the SEC from what's been said. The SEC might not be able to do much with it's current contract statuses but they'd likely raid the ACC anyway.

OU/OSU, KU/KSU and UT/ATM are all linked at the hip at minimum, so they're a package deal at minimum. You might have to add Baylor and TTech to any impending UT move, depending on how politics play out down there. That makes the remainder of the Big 12 tough to take on. You've had Boren and OU say they're staying and Pickens say he wants OSU to stay, so that is pretty much it.

As the rhetoric ratchets up, it continues to strengthen Delany's position. He will end up with that he wants.

"Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott said the league has also discussed a partnership with the Atlantic Coast Conference. And it has hired the Los Angeles-based Creative Artists Agency as a consultant to explore potential media deals".

Could the Big 12 remainder (if it happens) get left out in the cold? That's in this article about Mizzo.

I knew the Big 12/ Pac-10 thing had been discussed, but not the Pac-10/ACC thing. So much going on.

So, any move by UT would likely have to include ATM, OU and OSU minimum based on what Boren and Pickens have said and Texas politics. That's a lot to move. No wonder they're firm on staying with what they have.

Interesting....What do you think?

Plus, there's a blurb by Kelly and ND's independence.

What gets lost in all this expansion frenzy is that NU isn't just considering the Big Ten for athletics alone. The bigger picture in all of this is improving NU's overall status as an academic institution. I've read from many Big 10 fans that when Penn St. first joined the Big 10, they were at the bottom of the totem pole academically, but because they joined the Big 10, their academic profile shot up the ranks and now they're better off than they've ever been thanks in large part to the CIC. The CIC is a goldmine and Chancellor Perlman knows this. Perlman is a scholar, so his interest in the Big Ten is about academic prestige. Research is where the $ is at and the Big Ten gets large chunks of those research-related contracts in both public and private sectors. This is the REAL reason why NU is considering the Big Ten. In the end, Perlman will have the final say whether we go or not. I'd be shocked if he turned down the offer.

The athletic side of the Big Ten opportunity is just icing on the cake for NU. Being a member of the CIC would be the grand slam for the university as a whole.

Here's a bigger chunk of the interview:

Beebe takes off gloves on 810 WHB interview

In an exclusive interview on Sports Radio 810 WHB, Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe has taken off the gloves publicly regarding a possible raid of his conference to lure Missouri and Nebraska to the Big Ten.

"We need to have a very frank conversation about where we're going and who's going to be on the plane when we take off," Beebe said about the upcoming Big 12 meeting in two weeks in Kansas City. "I will be very direct... and want to find out."

Sports Radio 810 reported earlier this week that the Big Ten had made initial offers to four schools to join the Big Ten including Missouri and Nebraska. Beebe responded saying, "I've talked directly with (Big Ten commissioner) Jim (Delaney)."I understand what he's doing, where he's coming from. Maybe I'd do it differently if I were in his situation, maybe I wouldn't. But I'm going to protect our interests."

The comments are the first made publicly by Beebe acknowledging the Big Ten's pursuit of Big 12 institutions and Beebe continued by sharing his thoughts about the future of the Big 12, even if Missouri and Nebraska leave.

"I've thought about replacements, sure," said Beebe. When asked if those possible replacement schools might be in Texas, Beebe said, "I'm not sure how any other institutions in the states we already have schools would add. I think we've captured the markets in those states."

In the 28-minute interview, Beebe emphasized a resolve that the Big 12 is not changing its revenue sharing agreement between schools that allows each school to keep half of its individual football television revenue before sharing the other half with the rest of the league.

"They say a deal's a deal," Beebe said. I understand the notion of revenue sharing and how it can get you to a good place. The Pac 10 doesn't have it and we don't have it."

Pressed on the future of the Big 12 Football and Basketball Championships being played in Kansas City, Missouri, Beebe was asked if the league has ever held a championship in a state that didn't have a member institution. "I don't believe there has," Beebe said while conceding if those events in Missouri were important to Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State, they would be considered.

As for the future of the Kansas-Missouri rivalry games and Kansas Athletic Director Lew Perkins comments that it would be hard for Kansas to schedule Missouri if they left the league, Beebe stated there is no current Big 12 rule preventing such match-ups and it's unlikely the conference would get involved in the business of individual members scheduling.

It has also been widely reported the Big 12 is working with the Pac-Ten Conference on a partnership to gain bigger television revenues by negotiating with networks together. Beebe was asked directly if it could lead to the Big Ten being excluded from the Rose Bowl and the Big 12 having its champion play in that game.

"That's a question for those (Pac 10) gentlemen," Beebe said. "As far as I've gone (talking) right now is as far as I'm going to go."

With all the talk and stories of Big Ten might, it was clear during the interview Beebe and the Big 12 have just about had enough. The commissioner made it clear they are quietly working on several possibilities he said could lead to a conference without Missouri and Nebraska that would be stronger than the league it is today.

Link

Instead of answers to the reporter's questions, someone should have substituted ***crickets chirping*** for Beebe's answers. That idiot has no clue.

What gets lost in all this expansion frenzy is that NU isn't just considering the Big Ten for athletics alone. The bigger picture in all of this is improving NU's overall status as an academic institution. I've read from many Big 10 fans that when Penn St. first joined the Big 10, they were at the bottom of the totem pole academically, but because they joined the Big 10, their academic profile shot up the ranks and now they're better off than they've ever been thanks in large part to the CIC. The CIC is a goldmine and Chancellor Perlman knows this. Perlman is a scholar, so his interest in the Big Ten is about academic prestige. Research is where the $ is at and the Big Ten gets large chunks of those research-related contracts in both public and private sectors. This is the REAL reason why NU is considering the Big Ten. In the end, Perlman will have the final say whether we go or not. I'd be shocked if he turned down the offer.

The athletic side of the Big Ten opportunity is just icing on the cake for NU. Being a member of the CIC would be the grand slam for the university as a whole.

Yep...I think we've covered everything over and over. I think we all just keep posting it because it is all so interesting to see these heavyweights do their thing to get what they want and not be exposed legally somehow. I know every little tidbit I see is shedding new light on the whole buddy system and how these guys work and have been working. I know I'm not adding anything new.

You bet that NU is licking their chops on all fronts at this and NU makes sense for the Big 10. I'm sure Delany knows that Rutgers or Syracuse won't really deliver the NY market but he has to diminish the Big East to force his prize, Notre Dame, to comply and he has to get the Big East to try to force Notre Dame's hand if they can't see the writing on the wall.

Like I said and others have as well...Delany will get ND, MU and NU out of this at minimum, I'd think. It is too bad he can't get KU, too. I wonder if Perkins could get KU around the whole tie to KSU?

....imagine how it is in congress then and the government and big business. Well, I don't have to and neither does anyone else. But the complexities and chess moves. Wow!

i wonder what the question that beebe will ask texas as far as what their plans are......they havbe been linked

to the big 10(dienhart tweet), specualtion on the sec and the pac-10.

nothing more than nebraska and mizzou have been brought up by the media.

Re: SIAP Dan Beebe on 810 radio now

Yep it was Keitzman that used "ultimatum" to summarize the points. And the Big XII meetings in KC are June 1-4 if you are keeping score at home.

Here is an exerpt from the interview:

Today’s comments from Mr. Beebe on Between the Lines seem a little more aggressive and protective:

“I’ve talked directly with Jim (referring to Big X commissioner Delaney),” Mr. Beebe said. “I understand what he’s doing, where’s he’s coming from. Maybe I would do it similarly if I were in his situation, maybe I wouldn’t. But I’m going to protect our interests. We need to move forward and have a direction people need to buy into and move forward.”

Part of having schools buy-in means finding out exactly where these institutions stand on moving in or out.

“We need to come to terms with that. We’re going to head into our meetings in Kansas City and I think we need to have a very frank conversation about where we’re going and who’s going to be on the plane when we take off.” Mr. Beebe said. “I will be very direct and talk about that with our membership and want to find out. It would be a shame, given that all boats have risen with this tide that’s been created in the Big 12, for anybody to think they’re going to have a better future somewhere else.”

Maybe if Beebe weren't so "South-centric," the Big XII wouldn't be in the situation it finds itself in today.

Yes!

It may get lost by us, but someone will pay attention to this factor. It may not all be positive, though. Right now, the U educates most any in-state kid who can graduate high school and find his or her way to Lincoln. If we start excluding in-state kids for scholars from out of state who can post 30 or above on the ACT or 1300 + on the SAT (or whatever is a good score on those tests), lawmakers may get upset. We would benefit somewhat from these graduating brainiacs, but I suspect some smartie who comes to Lincoln from Dallas, for a program we are strong in, will graduate and high-tail it for a big city somewhere. Nebraska is not the center of industry in the U.S. There are other colleges in Nebraska for in-staters, but is there enough room? I would doubt we forego the invitation based on this, but who knows? The good news is high schools would probably get better in their attempt to qualify kids for the new and improved NU. **This is just a thought. I really don't know what I am talking about.**

What gets lost is all of our records against conference opponents will go from a typical 62-30-1 to something like 3-2. There's a lot of history against those old big 8 schools that will be rendered somewhat irrelevant if we move. I hope this conference changing carousel lets Nebraska off soon. :rollin

It may get lost by us, but someone will pay attention to this factor. It may not all be positive, though. Right now, the U educates most any in-state kid who can graduate high school and find his or her way to Lincoln. If we start excluding in-state kids for scholars from out of state who can post 30 or above on the ACT or 1300 + on the SAT (or whatever is a good score on those tests), lawmakers may get upset. We would benefit somewhat from these graduating brainiacs, but I suspect some smartie who comes to Lincoln from Dallas, for a program we are strong in, will graduate and high-tail it for a big city somewhere. Nebraska is not the center of industry in the U.S. There are other colleges in Nebraska for in-staters, but is there enough room? I would doubt we forego the invitation based on this, but who knows? The good news is high schools would probably get better in their attempt to qualify kids for the new and improved NU. **This is just a thought. I really don't know what I am talking about.**

What gets lost is all of our records against conference opponents will go from a typical 62-30-1 to something like 3-2. There's a lot of history against those old big 8 schools that will be rendered somewhat irrelevant if we move. I hope this conference changing carousel lets Nebraska off soon. :rollin

i always thought academic standards had to do with research the schools do. either way, i think it is one our mind, but it is not a concern because going to the big 10 would be better, and any other alternative would be no worse (obviously staying in the big 12 would not change anything). i personally (being a UNK grad) don't put much stock into all those academic standings and us news and reports or forbes list, you determine the quality of you education/development and any university will provide enough of an opportunity to get a quality education. not to mention, the who university system in the united states is a scam, but that is neither here nor there.

The commissioner made it clear they are quietly working on several possibilities he said could lead to a conference without Missouri and Nebraska that would be stronger than the league it is today.

Translation: I will find a few teams that don't want their own TV network or revenue sharing.

Translation on the translation: And Texass will help me find those teams!