nu, pac 10

i see nu is jumping all over big 10...i had hoped that nu would move to pac 10....has there been any interest from the universtiy to move to the pac 10 for football...i think the big 10 sucks.

The problem with the Pac-10 is that it's two time zones away from Lincoln. On top of that, we'd be spending more money on travel costs to play in Pac-10 cities than we would if we played in Big Ten cities since overall the Pac-10 is further away from Lincoln than the Big Ten is.

Last but not least, the current Pac-10 TV revenue is smaller than the Big 12's current TV revenue. That wouldn't be enough for Nebraska to sustain itself over the long term when you add up the travel expense in the end.

Don't get me wrong, if the Pac-10 does expand, naturally they'll ask for more $$ on their TV contracts, but I don't foresee it being anywhere close to what the Big Ten currently offers nor what the Big Ten will potentially offer when they expand in the near future since they'll likely double what they currently make with more teams. Really the Big Ten and SEC are the only two conferences I foresee able to win the "bankroll" race when it comes right down to it, due to their close proximities to major media markets.

i see nu is jumping all over big 10...i had hoped that nu would move to pac 10....has there been any interest from the universtiy to move to the pac 10 for football...i think the big 10 sucks.

Big Ten sucks now. But, you add Nebraska and...presto...it's the best conference ever. :sarcasm

I think if any team is going to join the pac 10, it would have to be on the pacific side of the continental divide. Colorado, TX and TX A&M would be exceptions, if they chose to go that route. (Though I wonder if TX would be a better fit in the SEC.) As Nexus stated, travel costs would bite Nebraska in the arse and money talks. Also, in terms of academics and establishing rivalries, the B10 is really the only option for Nebraska, apart from staying in the B12.

I still don't understand the big10 sucks talk. They've been around forever and have 3 of the top ten teams that have won the most football National Championships...more than any other conference.

The big10 has a history. The big 12 ate our history.

The big10 has gotten an unfair wrap lately due to some OSU title game collapses.

Ohio state won a title in 02....Nebraska's last title was in 97 (shared with Michigan).

PSU ended with an undefeated season in 94 when Nebraska won the NT.

Iowa and OSU just won BCS games...the last time Nebraska won a BCS game? Was it 1999?

The big 10 has won 10 BCS games since the BCS started in 98 and the big 12 7.

Of the 12 BCS seasons the Big 10 has placed two teams in BCS games all but 3 seasons. The big 12 has only placed two teams 5 times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series

The big 10 has the stronger track record...the ONLY thing the big 12 has in these stats is 2 NT to 1. The big 10 is a solid conference tainted because it doesn't score a bazillion points (which I find boring to watch shoot outs anyway...they get old fast).

I still don't understand the big10 sucks talk. They've been around forever and have 3 of the top ten teams that have won the most football National Championships...more than any other conference.

The big10 has a history. The big 12 ate our history.

The big10 has gotten an unfair wrap lately due to some OSU title game collapses.

Ohio state won a title in 02....Nebraska's last title was in 97 (shared with Michigan).

PSU ended with an undefeated season in 94 when Nebraska won the NT.

Iowa and OSU just won BCS games...the last time Nebraska won a BCS game? Was it 1999?

The big 10 has won 10 BCS games since the BCS started in 98 and the big 12 7.

Of the 12 BCS seasons the Big 10 has placed two teams in BCS games all but 3 seasons. The big 12 has only placed two teams 5 times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series

The big 10 has the stronger track record...the ONLY thing the big 12 has in these stats is 2 NT to 1. The big 10 is a solid conference tainted because it doesn't score a bazillion points (which I find boring to watch shoot outs anyway...they get old fast).

Maybe it's because their teams usually don't give us much trouble. :dunno

PAC-10 would almost be criminally insane. With the TV situation and the Big 10 probably about to knock on the door, geography, and most importantly, el dinero, would make a Pac-10 move pretty unlikely.

the pac 10 has its own problems now since the big 10 took the ball with expasion.....

what i think we havent focused on and is really interesting is what happens a decade or so (when TV contracts expire) from now when the NCAA is irrelevant to these super conferences.....

1. what does the NCAA do?

2. create yet another super teir conference level

3. become the next NAIA?

these conferences wont have to listen to what the NCAAA has to say anymore and is that a good thing for sports? Espeically those lower mid major type teams....... :blink:

When it comes down to dollars and cents, the Big 10 is by far the best way to go. It is the research money that truly makes the deal. The TV money is just a drop in the bucket compared to what Nebraska could gain with research money available to the Big 10 currently.

I do not see the Pac 10 ever being able to match that.

For the University of Nebraska, the Big 10 is by far the best way to go. No one is capable of even coming close.

But it is very exciting to think that we would be playing other storied programs on a regular basis.

PAC-10 would almost be criminally insane. With the TV situation and the Big 10 probably about to knock on the door, geography, and most importantly, el dinero, would make a Pac-10 move pretty unlikely.

the pac 10 has its own problems now since the big 10 took the ball with expasion.....

what i think we havent focused on and is really interesting is what happens a decade or so (when TV contracts expire) from now when the NCAA is irrelevant to these super conferences.....

1. what does the NCAA do?

2. create yet another super teir conference level

3. become the next NAIA?

these conferences wont have to listen to what the NCAAA has to say anymore and is that a good thing for sports? Espeically those lower mid major type teams....... :blink:

Personally, I think a revamp of the NCAA was long overdue. There are schools now in Division I that should not be there with the big-time schools. Then maybe the competition would be greater at the beginning of the season, if people were forced to actually play 3 out of conference games that meant something.

I don't see the NCAA going away, there will still be a need of oversight, otherwise we will have more interference from Congress (imagine how they could just F*ck that up royally). However, I think the power structure of the NCAA is going to change, giving more power to the member schools/conferences than to the bowls and the money people.

Personally, I think a revamp of the NCAA was long overdue. There are schools now in Division I that should not be there with the big-time schools. Then maybe the competition would be greater at the beginning of the season, if people were forced to actually play 3 out of conference games that meant something.

I don't see the NCAA going away, there will still be a need of oversight, otherwise we will have more interference from Congress (imagine how they could just F*ck that up royally). However, I think the power structure of the NCAA is going to change, giving more power to the member schools/conferences than to the bowls and the money people.

I've been saying this for a while now. There are WAY too many teams in Div1. I also think teams should not be allowed to schedule DivII teams anymore.

I've been saying this for a while now. There are WAY too many teams in Div1. I also think teams should not be allowed to schedule DivII teams anymore.

No kidding. There are 120 Div I teams out there for the big guys to pick from, I don't understand why they need to play teams out of Div I.