if we go b10...

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For decades we had a rivalry with Minnesota.. that could come back in a smaller form if we join the B10.

If Missouri goes in with us it would be pushed as a rivalry (it's already starting to be pushed that way with MU's recent semi-success) and Iowa would be a nationally pushed rivalry that would end up on thanksgiving weekend.

So basically

Missouri would be what they are now - becoming the new Colorado with their own little brother syndrome

Minnesota would basically be the new Kansas. Respectful mini rivalry that is pretty one-sided.

Iowa would be the new big rivalry, basically a less historic/far less civil version of NU/OU. The only real problem is that Iowa has absolutely nothing close to the history of either NU or OU and thus it wouldn't be nearly as big as Michigan-Ohio State.

• Fire 1

How can so many people claim KSU and CU aren't rivals because they haven't beaten Nebraska consistently enough throughout history, yet immediately jump on the Iowa-as-rival bandwagon? Iowa's beaten us 12 times out of 40 games, and I couldn't see them winning consistently against us in the future.

Yeah, Iowa would be shoved down our throats, but it would probably formulate, if nothing else than by the media. I always thought it was funny how the Big (soon to be little) 12 tried to shove CU down our throats, and CU fans would get so mad that we didn't acknowledge a rivalry. I'd be fine without a Big 10 rival.

Iowa would be the new big rivalry, basically a less historic/far less civil version of NU/OU. The only real problem is that Iowa has absolutely nothing close to the history of either NU or OU and thus it wouldn't be nearly as big as Michigan-Ohio State.

EXACTLY!!! Do we really wanna just settle for them as our top rival when they haven't even proved themselves? I really think Penn St is the only team we should allow as our top rival (it wouldn't b hard to have an agreement to play them every year, that's what Miami and fsu did with the acc ) or we continue the

"We don't have a real rival" talk.

Regardless it would b an absolute tragedy if Iowa became our #1 rival

Squawkeyes

I deal with them every day right over the river, craps annoying.

Iowa-They touch our state and unlike MO, they have been a member of the B10 for a long time, so they would become the new rival.

Info from 2000 to 2008. Evenly matched programs in what they have accomplished since the 2000 season.

http://myhitnews.com/2009/10/05/iowa-hawkeyes-vs-nebraska-cornhuskers-who-has-the-best-football-program-in-the-neighborhood/

The problem is that Nebraska looks at the last ten years as underacheiving and Iowa looks at it as their best years. I noticed they didn't bring up the head to head scores the last two time they played in the time span they gave.

• Fire 1

It's not just that Iowa is from a neighboring state. It's also the fact that Iowa was the original Cornhuskers. We were the Bugeaters (I hate that name!)

So the "Battle of the Corn" would make sense. And it sure helps that both teams are coming back, and both could be top 10 teams next season.

Thus, the future for both programs look bright. I see a lot of potential with NU-IU.

Iowa has a rival.

it's called isu. It's even an intrastate rivalry (the fiercest kind).

I don't think iowa fans would consider nu a "rival" at all. the media might.

The hawks have a rivalry with penn st although the hawks under Ferentz pretty much own them since psu joined the b10. it's kinda one-sided but the nittany lions have developed quite a little hatred towards the hawks. seems the hawks keep usetting their applecart, knocking off the top five penn st two years in a row.

then there is the ia/minn rivalry and the floyd of rosedale trophy. not as heated lately but once pretty intense.

maybe someday, iowa will see nu as a rival.

and maybe not.

It's not just that Iowa is from a neighboring state. It's also the fact that Iowa was the original Cornhuskers. We were the Bugeaters (I hate that name!)

So the "Battle of the Corn" would make sense. And it sure helps that both teams are coming back, and both could be top 10 teams next season.

Thus, the future for both programs look bright. I see a lot of potential with NU-IU.

When wwas Iowa named the Cornhuskers?

We were called the Bugeaters for a year or two, not a big deal.

Also we were first called the hawkeyes before they were. This link should explain things

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=2802

The name thing is kinda irrelevant, both teams in the early 1900's didn't like their original names so they dropped them and after such they picked each other's ditched names as their own.

Nebraska needs a rival that has tradition, rivals are extensions of each others success (hence why cu tried so hard to b ours... it made them look better in the national eye), so if we get a rival we must find one that most closely matches our prestige and Iowa is definitely not it. We don't want to lower our standards to accepting a no title team as our main rival just because they are close geographically. Why lower our image in the national eye for a team that hasn't had really any success with us?

I am getting sick of this force fed rivalry crap

Also we were first called the hawkeyes before they were. This link should explain things

The name thing is kinda irrelevant, both teams in the early 1900's didn't like their original names so they dropped them and after such they picked each other's ditched names as their own.

Nebraska needs a rival that has tradition, rivals are extensions of each others success (hence why cu tried so hard to b ours... it made them look better in the national eye), so if we get a rival we must find one that most closely matches our prestige and Iowa is definitely not it. We don't want to lower our standards to accepting a no title team as our main rival just because they are close geographically. Why lower our image in the national eye for a team that hasn't had really any success with us?

No actually they were called the Cornhuskers. I've never heard anything about us being called Hawkeyes.

No actually they were called the Cornhuskers. I've never heard anything about us being called Hawkeyes.

It says on Wikipedia and I coulda sworn I read it somewhere else too

We don't need a rival. Rivalries are organic things that just happen. It has to be mutual, and it has to occur because of games that matter. We can't plan on a rival, or designate a team to be our rival out of the blue.

We'll get along just fine without a rival. We'll be good or bad, successful or unsuccessful without a rival. Rivalries are just icing on the cake.