OWH Take on Big 12 Meetings

So some feel the big 10 is a second rate conference and Junior thinks the big 10 will own us in football? I'm not understanding why you feel that way.

I think people are just afraid of change. The Big10 gets a bad rap because they have gotten owned in Championship games, but in fact they have done well in BCS games in general. I really dont see where it is an inferior conference, its a different style of play, but I think our style of play would actually excel in the Big10.

Our football will not suffer when we go to the Big10, in fact I expect it to excel. We already pour a ton of money into our program, not to mention what could be done with an extra 20-30 mil a year and I would expect that figure to increase dramatically over the next ten years. This new fangled T.V. network stuff is only in its infancy, I could see us raking in upwards of 40-50 mil a year over time. With our name and that kind of money, the rich are only going to get richer.

The people that need to be scared are the lower tear teams in these super conferences. If teams like Purdue, Indiana, ISU, CU cant win in the current situation how do they expect to win championships in a super conference?

So some feel the big 10 is a second rate conference and Junior thinks the big 10 will own us in football? I'm not understanding why you feel that way.

I think people are just afraid of change. The Big10 gets a bad rap because they have gotten owned in Championship games, but in fact they have done well in BCS games in general. I really dont see where it is an inferior conference, its a different style of play, but I think our style of play would actually excel in the Big10.

Our football will not suffer when we go to the Big10, in fact I expect it to excel. We already pour a ton of money into our program, not to mention what could be done with an extra 20-30 mil a year and I would expect that figure to increase dramatically over the next ten years. This new fangled T.V. network stuff is only in its infancy, I could see us raking in upwards of 40-50 mil a year over time. With our name and that kind of money, the rich are only going to get richer.

The people that need to be scared are the lower tear teams in these super conferences. If teams like Purdue, Indiana, ISU, CU cant win in the current situation how do they expect to win championships in a super conference?

While I understand what you're getting at with the bolded part, as it pertains to the Big Ten, those bottom dwellers aren't going anywhere, regardless. Too many reasons to list why that would be the case which I don't care to delve into, but one of the main reasons is the CIC.

Thanks irafreak and Nexus for clearing that up.

It's really interesting seeing Texas in the position that they are. They have the money and clout to do what they want, yet they're in kind of a unique situation of powerlessness. (sorta) The Big 12 might be falling apart so they might not be as all powerful as they think. And I think whatever happens with all this expansion, Texas is going to do whatever gives Texas the most power and control (they seem to think they're entitled to it).

While I understand what you're getting at with the bolded part, as it pertains to the Big Ten, those bottom dwellers aren't going anywhere, regardless. Too many reasons to list why that would be the case which I don't care to delve into, but one of the main reasons is the CIC.

I know they arent going anywhere, I was just saying as far as athletics is concerned these schools are going to be worse off ahtletically in these super conferences whereas we should be able to carry enough weight to maintain and excel. In the end I am not worried our football program will suffer in the least. Gonna be cliche and say we are "Too big to fail"

I know they arent going anywhere, I was just saying as far as athletics is concerned these schools are going to be worse off ahtletically in these super conferences whereas we should be able to carry enough weight to maintain and excel. In the end I am not worried our football program will suffer in the least. Gonna be cliche and say we are "Too big to fail"

Gotcha! :thumbs

I don't know why Texas would want to go to the Big 10 if they could join the Pac 10 because they get to keep the boys from the South together while adding Arizona and Arizona State. With this set up, they more than likely get more than their equal share once again in another conference. Also, look at what it could open up in terms of recruiting for them. I do think the SEC would open up more in terms of recruits, but the SEC also adds a lot tougher schools and more competitive recruiting. Even though California is having its problems now, we all know that it will eventually rebound and there's a lot of money to be had there considering California alone has like the 12th largest economy in the World.

I think if everything shakes out like the rumors are suggesting that Nebraska football will be sacrificed. We may very well get a lot more money and academics will excel, but my gut tells me NU football will suffer once we join the Big 10 and the boys from the South join the Pac 10. Time will tell.

The more I think about this, the more it pisses me off. I do think that if NU went to the Pac 10 instead of the Big 10, it would be better for us athletically, for baseball, football, and recruiting. But academically with the CIC dollars, it would be better for the institution as a whole.

I guess I'm pissed because I was hoping that Texa$$ would be left holding the (money) bag again while we could thumb our noses at them, but it seems like they would get an even sweeter athletic deal than they do now.

I don't know why Texas would want to go to the Big 10 if they could join the Pac 10 because they get to keep the boys from the South together while adding Arizona and Arizona State. With this set up, they more than likely get more than their equal share once again in another conference. Also, look at what it could open up in terms of recruiting for them. I do think the SEC would open up more in terms of recruits, but the SEC also adds a lot tougher schools and more competitive recruiting. Even though California is having its problems now, we all know that it will eventually rebound and there's a lot of money to be had there considering California alone has like the 12th largest economy in the World.

I think if everything shakes out like the rumors are suggesting that Nebraska football will be sacrificed. We may very well get a lot more money and academics will excel, but my gut tells me NU football will suffer once we join the Big 10 and the boys from the South join the Pac 10. Time will tell.

The more I think about this, the more it pisses me off. I do think that if NU went to the Pac 10 instead of the Big 10, it would be better for us athletically, for baseball, football, and recruiting. But academically with the CIC dollars, it would be better for the institution as a whole.

I guess I'm pissed because I was hoping that Texa$$ would be left holding the (money) bag again while we could thumb our noses at them, but it seems like they would get an even sweeter athletic deal than they do now.

I wouldnt be jealous, everything Texass touches turns to cancer. Where ever they end up, it will only be a matter of time before they run that conference into the ground as well. We need to concentrate on getting away from that.

I don't necessarily think the Big 10 will own us, but yes I do believe they are a second rate conference especially to a Pac 10 conference adding Texas, A&M, and OU. I think it will be very difficult to recruit Texas, and I think our recruiting base will change more towards the Chicago area where quite frankly there just isn't the talent of Texas and we'll face heavy competition from Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, etc.

Prior to the past bowl season, the Big 10 was ranked 6th out of the 6 major conferences in bowl winning percentage over the past 5 years winning just roughly 1/3 of their bowl games in the past 5 years. In 2008, Jim Delaney (Big 10 Commissioner) stated after a 1-6 bowl performance by the Big 10 that Big 10 teams were playing hard and well prepared but were just losing to better teams. He then went on to say that these things tend to be cyclical.

In 2005, only 3 Big 10 teams had top 25 recruiting classes and they came in at #11; #12; and #25. They had no teams in the top 10. In 2006, only 3 Big 10 teams had top 25 recruiting. In 2007, again just 3 Big 10 teams in the top 25 and none in the top 10. In 2008, just 3 top 25 recruiting classes. In 2009, they had 4 teams with top 25 recruiting classes. In 2010, they had 3 top 25 recruiting classes and none in the top 10. They're getting beat on the field, and they're getting beat in recruiting. In 2010, Penn State had the highest ranking for recruiting class of the Big 10 teams. It should be noted that they didn't get any players from the states of Florida, Texas, or California. In 2009, Ohio State had the best recruiting class in the Big 10. They did land 4 players from the states of Florida, Texas, and California; but it should be noted that a couple of them were just rated at 3 stars. In 2008, Ohio State had the best recruiting class of the Big 10 and had a handful of players from the big boy states. Again, some of them were 3 star talents. In 2007, Michigan had the best class in the Bit 10. 3 players were from the big boy states, and 2 of the 3 were 3 star talents. The Big 10 does get a few recruits from the big boy states, but they get a lot of the 3 star talents and rarely if ever get a top talent from those states.

In 2010, 1/3 of our recruits came from the big boy states which is considerably higher than any Big 10 team pulls in. In 2009, almost 2/3 of our recruits came from the big boy states. In 2008, over 1/2 of our recruits came from the big boy states.

I'm afraid if we join the Big 10, our recruiting from the big boy states is going to mirror the Big 10 schools now where they get very few to none of their recruits from the big boy states. I don't think we're going to be very successful trying to compete with everyone with homegrown Nebraska boys and a few Kansas City area players mixed in.

I don't necessarily think the Big 10 will own us, but yes I do believe they are a second rate conference especially to a Pac 10 conference adding Texas, A&M, and OU. I think it will be very difficult to recruit Texas, and I think our recruiting base will change more towards the Chicago area where quite frankly there just isn't the talent of Texas and we'll face heavy competition from Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, etc.

I'm afraid if we join the Big 10, our recruiting from the big boy states is going to mirror the Big 10 schools now where they get very few to none of their recruits from the big boy states. I don't think we're going to be very successful trying to compete with everyone with homegrown Nebraska boys and a few Kansas City area players mixed in.

You're displaying a fundamental misunderstanding of the process of recruiting. No team is hidebound to recruit in their backyard, or their conference. Some teams do that because that's their philosophy, and that's fine - let them. This has never, ever been Nebraska's philosophy, and it never will be our philosophy. Due to our small population we have had to develop recruiting relationships all across the country, from New Jersey to Florida to Ohio to Texas to California to Oregon, and all points in between. We simply do not have the luxury of limiting ourselves to one geographic location.

The kinds of relationships built during recruiting aren't one-sided. These are high school coaches who get to know our staff, get to know our philosophy and trust how we train and, in part, raise these kids. They are sending their kids to Nebraska - recently without even having the kid visit Lincoln - based on that trust. That trust is not going to stop because of conference realignment.

You're displaying a fundamental misunderstanding of the process of recruiting. No team is hidebound to recruit in their backyard, or their conference. Some teams do that because that's their philosophy, and that's fine - let them. This has never, ever been Nebraska's philosophy, and it never will be our philosophy. Due to our small population we have had to develop recruiting relationships all across the country, from New Jersey to Florida to Ohio to Texas to California to Oregon, and all points in between. We simply do not have the luxury of limiting ourselves to one geographic location.

The kinds of relationships built during recruiting aren't one-sided. These are high school coaches who get to know our staff, get to know our philosophy and trust how we train and, in part, raise these kids. They are sending their kids to Nebraska - recently without even having the kid visit Lincoln - based on that trust. That trust is not going to stop because of conference realignment.

This.

The inroads staffers like Pap and Beck have made in high schools all over the place will count more in the long run than saying we'll play a game in Texas once a year. Recruiting is in some ways like nailing JELLO to the wall––every kid you recruit is an individual, with personal aspirations, fears, preferences, etc. Playing close to home is one factor among many. If there's any surefire way to recruit well aside from sheer persistence and personality, it's to win lots of games.

This.

The inroads staffers like Pap and Beck have made in high schools all over the place will count more in the long run than saying we'll play a game in Texas once a year. Recruiting is in some ways like nailing JELLO to the wall––every kid you recruit is an individual, with personal aspirations, fears, preferences, etc. Playing close to home is one factor among many. If there's any surefire way to recruit well aside from sheer persistence and personality, it's to win lots of games.

Also becoming an NFL pipeline and having Dlineman almost win the Heisman helps.

Really? How many 5 star DLine recruits do we have verbally committed for next year?

Did you just throw a dart at a list of football positions and pick that out? What does that have to do with anything?

Edit - for comparison's sake:

Ndamukong Suh - ****

Jared Crick - ***

Thadd Randle - ***

Terrence Moore - ***

Baker Steinkuhler - *****

Ty Steinkuhler - ***

Zach Potter - ****

Barry Turner - ***

Pierre Allen - ***

Cameron Meredith - ***

Jason Ankrah - ****

I know I'm missing a bunch of guys in the last few years, but these guys are the ones I could remember off the top of my head in the past few years. In that group there is ONE five-star recruit, and that's while we're playing in a conference including Texas.

Really, really junior - you have to calm down. It's going to be OK.

I've stated this before and still believe it applies....Texas athletes are not superior to the rest of the country....their high schools are more passionate about football and a lot of the kids come into college more prepared than others. If the talent at Texas were so high and above all other than Mack Brown is a lousy football coach as they cherry pick the best.

The other point is that football takes a solid coach and a team effort. You give me Bo and his two teams here and they can compete with anyone. We had an average defense at best last year and a good offense. Great D and bad offense this year and we still won 9 and 10 games. We will be ok with good talent and excellent coaching.

And I do not believe Texass is getting a sweater deal with the pac 10. They will no longer be in charge and will have more competition on their way to any titles. They know it and they want the big12 to stay intact.