Beebe: Process set to determine commitment to Big 12

Nexus

Here's the article I think REDSTEEL was referring to

Is Nebraska on the clock?

Berry Tramel: Nebraska is the most important cog in all of this conference realignment talk. If Nebraska bolts for the Big Ten, all bets are off.

BY BERRY TRAMEL Oklahoman 4

Published: June 4, 2010

DeLoss Dodds stood in a Kansas City hotel hallway this week and told the truth about conference realignment as only a straight-talking Texan can tell it.

"We didn't start this," said the Texas athletic director. "But if we need to finish it, we'll finish it."

I think Texas is ready to finish it, and here's how.

Nebraska has a deadline.

When Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe emerged from a presidents meeting Friday and talked about a "process" by which the league will decide how to sort the dalliances of some schools with the Big Ten, what he meant was, Nebraska has been called out.

I don't know for sure. I wasn't in the room. But I've talked to people who know what they're talking about. And this is about Nebraska.

This isn't about Missouri. Nobody cares about Missouri. Stay, go, drop football, get mad all over again that the Insight Bowl invited Iowa State. Doesn't matter.

If only Missouri leaves the Big 12, the league is fine. Heck, the league thrives. TV revenues wouldn't go down, plus there's one less mouth to feed. Heck, the NCAA might even give the Big 12 a waiver and let it keep the football championship game.

This is about Nebraska. Everybody cares about Nebraska. Nebraska helps make the league go. Without Nebraska, Texas' and Oklahoma's enthusiasm for the Big 12 wanes.

Which is why I believe Beebe gave Nebraska chancellor Harvey Perlman a deadline Friday. Stake your claim. Are you with the Big 12 or not? Are you staying or are you waffling?

I don't know if the deadline is next week or next year, though I've got to believe it's closer to the former.

But here's what's at stake. If Nebraska won't commit — and mere words won't do it; we're talking legally-binding document — then a big chunk of the Big 12 is out the door. Probably to the Pac-10, which apparently wants the Oklahoma schools, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Colorado.

"Finishing" it (Dodds' words) won't be easy. Leaving Kansas without an apparent landing place will cause political problems. Some think Congress might even stick its nose in the door.

But even if the road was cleared for the six to join the Pac-10, devilish details will emerge. Starting with, who's in charge of football officiating? I need not say more.

Football and basketball scheduling, leadership structure, bowl alliances. Those will be some long nights at the table.

I really believe the six would prefer to stick it out in this part of the country. I believe Dodds when he says Texas, which drives the boat, likes things just the way they are.

Wouldn't surprise me if all kinds of Oklahomans and Texans called Nebraskans, from football coaches to state politicians, saying don't turn your back on tradition and history and roots. Don't cash in the known and the revered for the unknown and riches.

But if Nebraska won't commit by the deadline, the Big 12 is finished.

Berry Tramel: 405-760-8080; Berry Tramel can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including AM-640 and FM-98.1.

LINK

If this is all true then I freakin love it. After all these years of the south teams (texas) being in control, Nebraska is finally in control. We are running the show. Screw the rest of the league. If you would have looked out for our best interests a few years ago then we might have stayed. Now were headed to the Big 10!

i agree, pi$$ on texas, we owe them nothing!

what i really dont understand is how nebraska is being made out to be the bad guy....mainly by the media.

this must be the texas media circling the wagons around their own cash cow....because if the email released

by the columbus dispatch are to be believed, and i dont know why they wouldn't, it sounds like texas was

shopping itself around the past couple of months.

if texas was out looking for the best deal why shouldn't everybody else. these guys are almost good enough to

be in washington. doulbe dealing and it soulds like playing the middle against every body else.

dodd comes out and says that "we'll finish it", meaning the conference. yet they were exchanging emails looking

for the best deal.

i think, feel, half the stuff put out by the big 12 south is done just to soothe their egos and put the blame on

nebraska. they dont care about mizzou, sorry frodaddy, it seems like they need their fall guy and the rest of

the big 12 media has decided its nebraska.

i'll be glad when this is over and the whole story comes out with a timeline, probably never happen though.

• Fire 1

I don't really understand how we are in control? Do we even know for sure that we have a spot in the Big 10? What if we "waffle" and then are stuck paying the price for it when we have nowhere else to go?

Admittedly I have no idea what is going on, I despise cloak and dagger secrecy and PR talk that I try not to dig too deep into this, it makes me sick.

I don't really understand how we are in control? Do we even know for sure that we have a spot in the Big 10? What if we "waffle" and then are stuck paying the price for it when we have nowhere else to go?

Admittedly I have no idea what is going on, I despise cloak and dagger secrecy and PR talk that I try not to dig too deep into this, it makes me sick.

Word from a pretty legit insider on HI is that we should have a soft-landing no matter what. Evidently the PAC would be interested if we're available. He doesn't see us being left holding the bag.

Word from a pretty legit insider on HI is that we should have a soft-landing no matter what. Evidently the PAC would be interested if we're available. He doesn't see us being left holding the bag.

I don't think that NU will be left holding anything other than our heads held at center-mast on this. I don't really think anyone wanted it to come to this, and NU has plenty of good history with Big 8 schools and fan bases that it really doesn't want to cut ties with. But that said, I'm proud of Perlman and Osborne to do what they need to do for NU's best interests, both on and off the field. Texas looked out for #1, and is still doing just that, when they put themselves in a position to win a conference nod with population, athletics and academics. NU did the same when they became a top-notch research school, used money to enhance athletics at every level, and has put out a product that fans have been proud of for quite a few decades. Now, it appears that all the hard work will prepare the University to be in a position where it not only won't be left behind, but will propel NU into the future not only athletically, but academically.

what i really dont understand is how nebraska is being made out to be the bad guy....mainly by the media.

this must be the texas media circling the wagons around their own cash cow....because if the email released

by the columbus dispatch are to be believed, and i dont know why they wouldn't, it sounds like texas was

shopping itself around the past couple of months.

if texas was out looking for the best deal why shouldn't everybody else. these guys are almost good enough to

be in washington. doulbe dealing and it soulds like playing the middle against every body else.

dodd comes out and says that "we'll finish it", meaning the conference. yet they were exchanging emails looking

for the best deal.

i think, feel, half the stuff put out by the big 12 south is done just to soothe their egos and put the blame on

nebraska. they dont care about mizzou, sorry frodaddy, it seems like they need their fall guy and the rest of

the big 12 media has decided its nebraska.

i'll be glad when this is over and the whole story comes out with a timeline, probably never happen though.

The whole Pac-10 "leak" by Texas and Dodds' comment is exactly what he says: "We didn't start it.." so if they can politically maneuver themselves into the Big 10, they can say it was Nebraska's fault that the Big 12 died and they HAD to do what was best for UT. I won't pretend that I know what UT is thinking or Texas state politics or how their boosters tie into it, but this IS NOT the same UT that it was when the SWC died. I think that this might be something that is missing in the conversations, regardless of the "Tech problem" emails. They are (I'd think) much more powerful these days and the crown jewel in the state obviously. Is UT powerful enough now, on it's own, to get around the politics and do what it wants without the worry of TAMU and TTech?

If they are, they might tell the Big 10 that they only come if NU isn't invited. I just don't underestimate the ability of UT to screw with NU. We all know that ND and UT would be huge for the Big 10. Then they can add a Mizzou or eastern team and be done.

I've heard that NU will have a soft landing spot regardless. I assume that is the Pac-10, if we are shut out of the Big 10. I thought we were dissing the whole travel part of the Pac-10 and the fact that U$C runs that show, just like UT does the Big 12!!!!

I just don't think that NU is in as pretty a spot as some of you are gloating about. I'd love it if that was the case. Call me a pessimist. I hope others are right.

I do wonder what kinda stroke Harvey has though.....

Or we could just call in a couple another school and keep the big 12. I mean really...a conference that has Nebraska and Oklahoma could survive. Let Texas go to the big 10. They're a massive headache to deal with but at least the other schools there won't be bullied by them like they obviously are here.

Of course we won't be left out. That's a no brainer. The Pac 10 & Big 10/11 would take us in a heartbeat over many of the teams that they are considering. We have nothing to worry about.