How The Hell Did We Get Here?

No he had more experience but he won most of his matches quickly and I was a little stronger and had much more endurance cause my matches usually went full time. All I'm saying is a playoff creates an opportunity for a team that has worked hard all season and earned a nice spot to have one poor performance or anomaly against an opponent that doesn't even deserve to be in the title run...

This is why it is always said that the MLB, NHL, and NBA playoffs are the perfect way to decide this because you can't "fluke" 4 wins out of 7 games against a team that is better than you. That just isn't possible.

However, I realize that is impossible in football.

That's why the terms "true champion" or "deciding it on the field" are such a joke.

When's the last time you really thought that the Super Bowl Champion was really the best team that year?

Way too much depends on who you play to get there.

The best team does NOT always win. and some teams match up with some teams better that they do with others...WAY too many variables without using "best of..7"

Paper State > Scissors A&M > Rock U. > Paper State > Scissors A&M > Rock U. > Paper State > Scissors A&M > Rock U. > Paper State > Scissors A&M > Rock U. > Paper State > Scissors A&M > Rock U. > Paper State > Scissors A&M > Rock U.

Why is it that every other sport in the world with some meaning has a playoff. Only Div 1 college football doesn't. The problem with the way it stands now many Div 1 schools can have a great season and have no chance for a national championship because they are not the media darlings. Don't get me wrong I love my ESPN, but how many times have the talking heads been wrong, nobody can tell who the best team is just by talking about them. Why yes upsets do happen and lesser team knocks off a better team that happens in the regular season as well in the playoffs. If in 1982 Nebraska doesn't lose to Penn State we are the champs, and if we played that game 10 times Nebraska prob wins 8 of them. So yes upsets are a part of life, even in the regular season. At least with a playoff it is settled in the field not at some writers desk. What right do we have to tell a kid from Utah that you can't be a national champ because your school is not important to the sports casters. Imagine if the other sports did like division 1 football. There would be no miracle on Ice in 1980 because clearly the USA hockey team had no business playing the ultra powerful Soviet Team, or how about Jimmy's V North Carolina State BB Ball team that won it all. The way Div 1 stands now is robbing many kids dreams.

No he had more experience but he won most of his matches quickly and I was a little stronger and had much more endurance cause my matches usually went full time. All I'm saying is a playoff creates an opportunity for a team that has worked hard all season and earned a nice spot to have one poor performance or anomaly against an opponent that doesn't even deserve to be in the title run...

This is why it is always said that the MLB, NHL, and NBA playoffs are the perfect way to decide this because you can't "fluke" 4 wins out of 7 games against a team that is better than you. That just isn't possible.

However, I realize that is impossible in football.

That's why the terms "true champion" or "deciding it on the field" are such a joke.

When's the last time you really thought that the Super Bowl Champion was really the best team that year?

Way too much depends on who you play to get there.

The best team does NOT always win. and some teams match up with some teams better that they do with others...WAY too many variables without using "best of..7"

Paper State > Scissors A&M > Rock U. > Paper State > Scissors A&M > Rock U. > Paper State > Scissors A&M > Rock U. > Paper State > Scissors A&M > Rock U. > Paper State > Scissors A&M > Rock U. > Paper State > Scissors A&M > Rock U.

And that's all I am saying. You want a playoff that's fine...I'd enjoy it too but I prefer to have it like it is now. I can watch the nfl playoffs. I just don't like when Danny gets on his podium and pushes his "playoff perfection" theory to us...a dozen times a season...

And that's all I am saying. You want a playoff that's fine...I'd enjoy it too but I prefer to have it like it is now. I can watch the nfl playoffs. I just don't like when Danny gets on his podium and pushes his "playoff perfection" theory to us...a dozen times a season...

I don't read Danny's stuff, but I would agree that would get annoying - and I'm a fan of playoffs.

I think we're all in agreement that playoffs don't solve all problems, and I think most of us would agree that at least some of the bowls are a lot of fun to watch, if not all of them. But for determining a champion, flawed as the process may be, the bracket system is the best way to go.

Why is it that every other sport in the world with some meaning has a playoff. Only Div 1 college football doesn't.

So do you think it's just coincidence that every other sport or even Football division pales in excitement for the whole season.

The beauty of this is the Bowls usually reward the team for the great (whole) season..The NFL and the rest of the lower divisions crown the one that got hot after the regular season.

The problem with the way it stands now many Div 1 schools can have a great season and have no chance for a national championship because they are not the media darlings. Don't get me wrong I love my ESPN, but how many times have the talking heads been wrong, nobody can tell who the best team is just by talking about them. Why yes upsets do happen and lesser team knocks off a better team that happens in the regular season as well in the playoffs. If in 1982 Nebraska doesn't lose to Penn State we are the champs, and if we played that game 10 times Nebraska prob wins 8 of them. So yes upsets are a part of life, even in the regular season. At least with a playoff it is settled in the field not at some writers desk. What right do we have to tell a kid from Utah that you can't be a national champ because your school is not important to the sports casters. Imagine if the other sports did like division 1 football. There would be no miracle on Ice in 1980 because clearly the USA hockey team had no business playing the ultra powerful Soviet Team, or how about Jimmy's V North Carolina State BB Ball team that won it all. The way Div 1 stands now is robbing many kids dreams.

The Hockey thing was in 1980?

You'd think I'd remember it more better..but It WAS freshman year at UNL and I was self medicating some major depression with Beers.

Not very familiar with Jimmy the Greek or Baseball.

The Hockey thing might never have happened if they started out in another bracket.

You just never know.

I hate participation trophies that my Son gets from Soccer, BB, and FB. but I also don't think having ONE Champion is all that important either...The controversy drives fan interest to no end..I still get into arguments with Mechicken fans about one of the best games that never happened (1997)..If we beat them as badly as I suspect we would, I'd have to probably talk about the weather with them.

The ultimate reward is the journey..Not the Trophy.

I know the history and reasons have been stated and restated, but I'd like to collaborate all of it into one thread for everyone to utilize.

It looks as though this could be the last week of Nebraska being a member of the Big 12. How in the HELL did we get here?

The Big 8 programs and others sided with Texas. I think I just heard a collective "Whoops" out of Iowa, Missouri, Oklahoma, Colorado, and Kansas.