Who's Bigger: ND or NU?

Anyone remember the last time Nebraska played Notre Dame in their stadium? Decision makers need to realize it's not about households in a state that count, it's televisions tuned to the game.

bigpix01.jpg

Big ten network is based off of housholds that have the big ten network not how many people watch it. Here in omaha you wont get the big ten network unless you have a certain level of cable. For each household that has that level of cable the big ten would then get a certain dollar amount each month per houshold. So the more viewers in a area even if they dont watch it but have that tier of cable would be paying the big ten. I have that tier on my cable box, so even though I don't watch the channels I still count towards their money. What they are hoping for is people in that area dont have it already and would be willing to upgrade to that service to get it since every single game is on TV no more Payper view. Now the question is if Cox here local will boost the cost of that tier if they know Nebraska is going to be on ever game. Heck if I was Cox I would raise that tier by 30 bucks a year since almost every one of us has bought at least one a year for the past 10 years.

Anyone remember the last time Nebraska played Notre Dame in their stadium? Decision makers need to realize it's not about households in a state that count, it's televisions tuned to the game.

bigpix01.jpg

Big ten network is based off of housholds that have the big ten network not how many people watch it. Here in omaha you wont get the big ten network unless you have a certain level of cable. For each household that has that level of cable the big ten would then get a certain dollar amount each month per houshold. So the more viewers in a area even if they dont watch it but have that tier of cable would be paying the big ten. I have that tier on my cable box, so even though I don't watch the channels I still count towards their money. What they are hoping for is people in that area dont have it already and would be willing to upgrade to that service to get it since every single game is on TV no more Payper view. Now the question is if Cox here local will boost the cost of that tier if they know Nebraska is going to be on ever game. Heck if I was Cox I would raise that tier by 30 bucks a year since almost every one of us has bought at least one a year for the past 10 years.

Don't give them any ideas.

Good question, but would be difficult to answer.

My gut feeling though, and it pains me to admit it, is that Notre Dame would get significantly more TV sets than we would. Not to diminish what we would bring to the table, but Notre Dame has a lot of fans and/or people that would watch them just to root against them.

Damn Rudy. DAMN YOU!!!

Notre Dame trumps everyone in college football, even though they've been down for a while. No other school has the prestige of Notre Dame, and that's nothing to be ashamed about. For the first part of the last century, for all intents and purposes Notre Dame was college football. Those traditions die hard.

They're slipping, and they're in danger of becoming less relevant if they don't upgrade and update, and possibly hook up with a larger organization like the Big 10, but at this time they are still the Big Cheese of college football, if we're talking solely about fans and prestige and brand recognition.

If you think of college football as a pyramid, Notre Dame is right there at the top. Very close behind are schools like Texas, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC and maybe some couple of others. You go down in tiers from there, and Nebraska is, by weight of its historic accomplishments and potential, not far from the top tiers. We're somewhere up there, just not at the top. We'll be there again soon, though.

• Fire 2

Notre Dame trumps everyone in college football, even though they've been down for a while. No other school has the prestige of Notre Dame, and that's nothing to be ashamed about. For the first part of the last century, for all intents and purposes Notre Dame was college football. Those traditions die hard. They're slipping, and they're in danger of becoming less relevant if they don't upgrade and update, and possibly hook up with a larger organization like the Big 10, but at this time they are still the Big Cheese of college football, if we're talking solely about fans and prestige and brand recognition. If you think of college football as a pyramid, Notre Dame is right there at the top. Very close behind are schools like Texas, Florida, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC and maybe some couple of others. You go down in tiers from there, and Nebraska is, by weight of its historic accomplishments and potential, not far from the top tiers. We're somewhere up there, just not at the top. We'll be there again soon, though.

:thumbs That's a darn good post right there knap. Hope ya don't mind if I expound. You have named 7 teams there, but ya can't go to much further without mentioning, Penn State, Michigan and dear ole NU. Now IF ND and NU would join the Big X that makes 5 of the top brand names in the country in the same conference. Think it'll sell??? :sarcasm

Notre Dame trumps Nebraska, hands down. Speaking school wise they do, they generate a much larger fan base, alumni and prestige than we do.

But one thing to remember here, Notre Dame has already stated that they are happy being independent, so unless they change their stance quickly to "We will listen to expansion talks", I feel Notre Dame won't be joining the Big 10. Paving the way for Nebraska and Missouri.

bigpix01.jpg

What will happen is the BTN and Cox will work out a deal to put in on the basic tier, much like fox sports midwest is now. Your basic cable bill will go up a little and the BTN will collect a higher subscription fee

bigpix01.jpg

What will happen is the BTN and Cox will work out a deal to put in on the basic tier, much like fox sports midwest is now. Your basic cable bill will go up a little and the BTN will collect a higher subscription fee

Regardless of which tier it is on should we go to the Big 10...I'm buying. :)