Back to the Future: How long until the "Super Conferences" break apart?

How many years until the members of these so-called "super" conferences wake up and realize that it's all a ruse. All of the teams can't win the conference every year, someone's got to be the doormat, and our fan base is having to travel over hell and half of Georgia just to make a game now and then. All for some extra cash and "prestige". The panacea is exposed.

How many years until the schools caught up in all of this mad rush wake up and say "This is nutso. How about an athletic conference that actually fits our geography a little?"

I think in 2015, we see these things busting up, and OU, Nebraska, and others are back together again.

Back to the future.

The benefits to NU aren't a ruse and they stretch beyond football.

Nebraska football fans will still travel. It hasn't been a problem before and it won't be now.

Nobody is sure how the bowl situation will shake out, other than it will continue in some altered form. At some point we're probably still looking at a form of playoff, the best chance of that being when the BCS is up in 2015 (I think that's the right year).

Sure, anything is possible, but the chances of Nebraska leaving the Big 10 anytime soon once it joins are very remote. As good as the move for us is, leaving it would just be idiotic.

I think that the Pac 16 may not last long if it in fact happens

Only because splitting the pot 16 ways may be to small of slices and sending a team from Lubbock to Pullman may very well be the most expensive in conference trip in the FBS

That may not be a big deal in football where they'll make that trip once every 8 or 16 years but the non revenue teams could be spending more money than its worth

Only because splitting the pot 16 ways may be to small of slices and sending a team from Lubbock to Pullman may very well be the most expensive in conference trip in the FBS

That may not be a big deal in football where they'll make that trip once every 8 or 16 years but the non revenue teams could be spending more money than its worth

Yeah about 15 years ago the WAC used to be a 16 team league and that broke because the rivalries went down the toilet. All the teams that wanted to keep the rivalries intact created the Mountain West Conference.

Hmmm, that sounds familiar with what we're seeing now. If Texas moves to the Big 10 with us, there goes the Red River Rivalry. I just don't know whether or not mega conferences are viable or not. There's getting to be too much money and show biz into the college game for my liking. Considering the population boom of some in this country, we might be a couple short decades away from having soccor as our biggest sport here in the U.S.

Yeah about 15 years ago the WAC used to be a 16 team league and that broke because the rivalries went down the toilet. All the teams that wanted to keep the rivalries intact created the Mountain West Conference.

That's not the only reason the WAC failed.

Hmmm, that sounds familiar with what we're seeing now. If Texas moves to the Big 10 with us, there goes the Red River Rivalry. I just don't know whether or not mega conferences are viable or not. There's getting to be too much money and show biz into the college game for my liking. Considering the population boom of some in this country, we might be a couple short decades away from having soccor as our biggest sport here in the U.S.

At least a majority of these new immigrants can spell soccer.

Oh xenophobia, how cute! :facepalm:

That's not the only reason the WAC failed.

Main Reason though.

I believe the expanded WAC was ahead of its time. I remember reading a SI article about. They had huge (at that time it wouldve been) TV contract, a championship game. Then all of sudden presidents/AD were meeting in airports secretly. Then BAM!!!!!!! it was gone.

I remember reading how expensive it was for Wyoming to go to Hawaii and vice versus. The schools simply did not generate enough money to pay for the extra travel expenses and such.