Big Ten Rivalry Idea

I'd love to say this is my idea but it isn't.....I'll still take all the +1's you can give...ha!

Knowing the Big 10 is all about trophy games, someone discussing possible NU rivalries on ESPN suggested Nebraska and Michigan play for the other teams 1997 National Championship trophy. The winner would get to keep the other teams trophy until that team wins.

This might be a little far fetched but IMO it's the best idea I've heard yet. Sure NU-Iowa might make more sense but this is awesome.

Thoughts?

Edit: Sorry if already suggested....I haven't stopped by this area of HB in a while.

• Fire 4

I think it would be great to have a rivalry game set up with Wisconsin. They could set it up the way the sCUm game was set up. The atmosphere at Camp Randall and Memorial would be awesome...better than usual. Especially with Alvarez being the AD and former Husker, it would add to the game a little...not as much now since he is the AD. The real Big Red could be established.

it really doesn't make sense because there are two trophies. one team could have both, and then how would the other teams get theirs back. if one team had both, and then the other team won, which trophy would like get. i guess they could make an 'official' '97 trophy that is the traveling trophy symbolic of the split championship. however, i thought '05 settled it in the alamo bowl..

What about a Nebraska and Ohio State rivalry? They have not played since the 1950's.

As much as I would love to see this, and as much as the two schools have in common and the ties they share, I don't see why this is a better case than UNL-PSU, UNL-UM, UNL-UW, or UNL-UI.

The only way this will become a real rivalry is if the two teams are regularly in contention for the Big Ten title and if Ohio State loses to Nebraska.

Anybody remember that poster that had the 1997 NC on it? It showed a Michigan fan with a magnifying glass looking a the AP trophy in the palm of his hand. Then it had three Huskers hoisting the giant coaches' trophy with Peyton Manning flattened into the grass behind them. I can't find a pic anywhere. Sorta relevant I guess.