Ranking the Big 12 Quarterbacks

That's pretty darn high for "Arnaud OR Tiller"...and c'mon, Zac Lee behind "Hawkins OR Hansen"? Gilbert is low too IMO. I feel like that was a surprisingly superficial treatment of Nebraska's QB situation coming from a Nebraska paper. The bottom line is that Lee quite often made the correct reads last year, but struggled through rookie mistakes as a first year starter, injury, and a lack of route running of catching ability from his receivers. There really isn't an "OR" here, especially not with Taylor Martinez.

That's pretty darn high for "Arnaud OR Tiller"...and c'mon, Zac Lee behind "Hawkins OR Hansen"? Gilbert is low too IMO. I feel like that was a surprisingly superficial treatment of Nebraska's QB situation coming from a Nebraska paper. The bottom line is that Lee quite often made the correct reads last year, but struggled through rookie mistakes as a first year starter, injury, and a lack of route running of catching ability from his receivers. There really isn't an "OR" here, especially not with Taylor Martinez.

I think TMart is far closer to the starting gig than most realize. He's getting a lot of buzz and it's not just because of his Spring Game performance. If I had to rate the likelihood of who starts, I'd put it:

Lee - 1

Green - 2A+

Martinez - 2B

Spano - 3A

The Pack

I think TMart is far closer to the starting gig than most realize. He's getting a lot of buzz and it's not just because of his Spring Game performance. If I had to rate the likelihood of who starts, I'd put it:

Lee - 1

Green - 2A+

Martinez - 2B

Spano - 3A

The Pack

Count me as a skeptic, but I've been wrong about a lot of things before (Big 10, for instance :))

To me, the other reasons he is getting buzz basically amount to 'he's fast, and Nebraska fans like the idea of getting back to an Eric Crouch or option attack.'

We might see him get some playing time out of the wildcat, but I don't really think anyone is close to Lee in terms of making the throws or making the reads. Lee also seems to have the team, too...then again, I never imagined Green would play last year, ever. Until he did. For me, it goes more like Lee 1, Green 2, Spano 3, Martinez 4 (wildcat only), and the rest. But this is a rather uninformed assessment to be fair.

On ESPN yesterday, they had the top five QB's in the Big 12 listed. At #1 they had the A&M QB, #2 they had Gabbert, #3 they had Griffin at Baylor, #4 was Jones at OU, and I can't remember #5. With so many fresh faces this year and the injury of Griffin, I think it's pretty tough to rate them right now.

Zac Lee starts. That should be the end of it.

If the coaches are talking about T-Mart and Cody Green as real possibilities to start, well, kiss 2010 goodbye.

I believe Zac Lee will be the one to lead us farther than the other two, but kiss 2010 goodbye if one of the others start? hardly.

mine would go:

1. Jonhson-ATM

2. Gabbert - MU

3. Jones - OU

4. Gilbert - UT

5. Griffin - BU

6. Potts - TT

7. Arnaud - ISU

8. Lee - NE

9. Hansen - CU

10. Weeden - OSU

11. Coffman - KSU

12. Pick - ku

On a side note, could there be a worse name for a QB than 'pick'? :nanalama

mine would go:

1. Jonhson-ATM

2. Gabbert - MU

3. Jones - OU

4. Gilbert - UT

5. Griffin - BU

6. Potts - TT

7. Arnaud - ISU

8. Lee - NE

9. Hansen - CU

10. Weeden - OSU

11. Coffman - KSU

12. Pick - ku

On a side note, could there be a worse name for a QB than 'pick'? :nanalama

I think Gabbert gets top nods, but I like this list otherwise.

I gotta go with the paper on Gilbert until proven otherwise. He had terrible #'s in the MNC game. And yes, I KNOW he was playing Bama in his first major PT, and he did lead some good drives in the second half, but he also had 4 picks and terrible completion %. He's going to play some really good defenses in UCLA, OU, and NU. I see him as the next Landry Jones circa 2009.

I would say 1a. Is Johnson, with Gabbert 1b. Then Landry Jones, Sticks, Griffin, then everybody else.

Yeah...]all my KU buddies are totally freaked out that their QB's name is Pick. I said," Well either it will be a curse, or just the opposite and he'll end up being a total stud."

Are you a real Tigers fan JW??? :facepalm: KU buddies... <_<

just playin :lol:

IMO, johnson for A&M is by far the best overall athlete, but I thinK Gabbert hasd the most probable success. Except in "Lincoln!

Agreed. I think Gabbert is the best overall QB.

I hope that Lee proves he can move up this list a little bit. I remember before the 2009 season when people were so enthusiastic about what they'd been hearing out of training camp and whatnot. Big arm, quick legs, etc.

I have a pet theory on Lee, though. Ever see the guy's parents during games? They look like they really couldn't care less regardless of what's going on down on the field. Lee throws a huge bomb for a TD, Dad's face says, "Meh." Lee gets the snot hit out of him by some pass rushing lineman? Dad's face says, "Meh." I wonder if Lee is sort of an eager beaver type who tries too hard to please Dad. Maybe that's completely off base and just baseless speculation.

But think about it.

It makes sense per his erratic decision making.

Anyway, I digress. I can't wait to see the guy prove himself more this fall. I'd love to see him split PT with Martinez.