Clouds on the Horizon?

I was listening to the 1620 USC podcast this afternoon, and at one point Kevin referenced a comment Pelini made that makes you wonder. When recently asked about the upcoming QB battle through fall camp, the head man said that the thing could drag on for a long time to come. Not like as in to the end of August, which then could be interpreted as another example of coachspeak, but deep into the season.

This raises a couple of issues that might help to pass the month of nothing we have before fall camp starts. The first question is should this news be troubling? For me, while I realize it's probably just typical Pelini who is a pundit of competitive and earned starting slots, the QB position is unique in the game. It may not be the most important position on the field from a purely athletic standpoint, but in the waning years of the Callahan regime we saw first hand what could happen when teams get tribal and begin to separate on the issue of who should be the field general. Zac Lee would be my bet and for obvious reasons––he's ten times as experienced as everyone else on the depth chart combined. But he might also be the least athletic of the three frontrunners. Many a time in college football teams have been undone by a QB competition that never ends. Eventually a decision has to be made, and if there is good coaching and development going on, the end of fall camp should be the last call.

Which then raises a second issue. Shawn Watson is the QBs coach as well as the offensive coordinator. If the separation doesn't happen, or if the decision isn't made, and the offense doesn't preform because of it, do we then have some major questions about how the position is handled? This will be a first time experience for this staff. Unlike the previous season where your only real choices were Lee or a true freshman, there is now legitimate battle ahead. One can only hope that it doesn't last into October or later. Even to hear speculation that it might is unsettling.

But who knows?

• Fire 1

What troubles me about this is that these are the same comments he was making early last season. Status quo does not = good when our offense was as stagnant as it was last season. However, it's not even fall camp yet so I'll personally chalk this one up to coach speak.

I don't have a clue what he really meant either. It could be taken to mean so very many different things. Who knows?

Everything about our offense is still up in the air. Are we really going to get serious about developing a power rushing game? Or "sling the ball all around"? Or continue to be a jack of all trades but a master of none?

:dunno

I don't know but we're going to find out soon (thank God).

I am going to keep my panties out of a wad, and let those that know what is required figure out the problem. When I am on the field and see everything that the coaches take in, I may make a comment, until then, which is never going to happen I will trust in our coaching staff to make the right choice.

I think we have some good QB's, lord knows I was anti Lee last year at the beginning, but he played well up until his injury. If he is healed I expect him and Martinez to battle it out, but I also see the chance of Martinez playing in certain scenarios through out the year.

Hopefully Green does fit into the picture. Personally I think it is a good problem to have. It means the kids are competing and that will only make them better.

• Fire 1

I think the comment has to do with the questions surrounding our quarterbacks. It was pretty clear that Green was not ready last season - until he comes under fire in a live situation, we don't know whether he's improved enough to be the guy. Lee is a question mark due to the injury. Everyone else in the running - well, the lack of actual game experience is the main factor. I suspect that Bo was commenting on the fact that we're going to have to get many of them into games to determine who will be the guy - and that could take a number of games.

I'm with Nexus on this, though - if the offensive line is good enough, the quarterback position will be fine. Our line has, for the past few years, always seemed to have one breakdown each play - one missed block, etc. Lee, despite any shortcomings, had to run for his life or rush throws too often last year. And we weren't consistent in getting a good push on running plays. All of that's attributable to the offensive line.

As mentioned above, the oline will be deeper and most likely, better. The running backs should be improved compared to last year with another year under their belts. I don't think the receivers will be any worse. Between Niles, Kinney, and McNeill, we should have some go-to guys.

All of that adds up to a better situation for our QBs. Zac, Cody, and Taylor will all have another year in the system. I would hope that they didn't regress any and that the competition will be fiercer than last season. It certainly can't get any worse.

I'm going to let this thing play out and am confident that the offense and quarterback play will be much improved this season. GBR