"High and Mighty" talk from Texas fan

Texas wins one national championship since the seventies sixties and actually beats us and Oklahoma in the same season, and they all of a sudden are the class of the nation... please. We never should've let Texas into the Big 8 and let them go the way of the other has-been teams...

They win one championship and before that you have to go all the way back to 1970 1969, with all that talent in the great football state of Texas I'd say they're a complete failure they should have achieved a lot more then what they have done and now all they want to do is call us out, what a bunch of losers.

Remember who the 1970 national champion was?

Mack Brown would’ve been the first one to cross the field and shake your coach’s hand. He would’ve been gracious in defeat, as always. The refs wouldn’t have been blamed.

I literally laughed out loud at this. Texas and Mack Brown are always the first to come up with an excuse as to why they weren't beaten but cheated. I believe I heard many excuses for them why they barely won. I believe Colt McCoys perfect internal clock sounds like a good example.

Didn't Texas put a Big XII Champions * sign on their wall the year they beat OU but were left out of the championship game? '08, right? Fools.

The Co-Champions* sign was supposed to be installed on the Big 12 South Champions wall. (Which Texas was, check the record book. 2008 OU, Texas, and Tech are South Division co-chammpions) The workmen screwed up and installed it on the Big 12 Champions wall. Mistake by a workman, that's all it ever was. But it was seen by the press and published as Texas ego. Rather than move it to the other side of the room, Texas staff decided to just remove it althogher.

But you guys all want and need to believe the worst about Texas. I keep coming back to this board trying to find that Nebraska class I've heard so much about. I haven't found it yet. I guess it's all in the past. A decade of losing can do that. Rest of the country has noticed it too.

First off...I am not classy to Texas. Ever! I have hated you guys my whole life and I will always hate you and I always thought Texas should be given back to Mexico. I hate your state, I hate your football program, and I hate your arrogance. Honestly, I am sure most Nebraskans could care less what some Texas SOB thinks of us.

They win one championship and before that you have to go all the way back to 1970 1969, with all that talent in the great football state of Texas I'd say they're a complete failure they should have achieved a lot more then what they have done and now all they want to do is call us out, what a bunch of losers.

Remember who the 1970 national champion was?

Thank you 17-12

tagge70.jpg

#6 Fighting Irish won, 24-11, denying #1 Texas a third straight Cotton Bowl victory and the consensus national championship.

Texas has only won four national titles. Nebraska has won five.

Nebraska has the most legitimate claims to their national titles in each disputed year.

However, Texas' 1970 "national championship" is perhaps the most flawed of the last 40 years. See, Texas lost their bowl game, but the UPI poll (now defunct) voted Texas #1 prior to their bowl game.

Texas got smoked in the Cotton Bowl in the 1970 season, 24-11, yet they still claim that title.

Legitimately, Texas has three national championships, and one extremely suspect (and I'm being kind) title.

And that's despite having so much talent in their state that they have an annual pilgrimage of coaches from all across the nation down there recruiting like mad, year in and year out. That's despite having their pick of those talented players.

Bottom line, there has never been a more underachieving college football program than the University of Texas, ever.

• Fire 1

Nebraska has the most legitimate claims to their national titles in each disputed year.

However, Texas' 1970 "national championship" is perhaps the most flawed of the last 40 years. See, Texas lost their bowl game, but the UPI poll (now defunct) voted Texas #1 prior to their bowl game.

Texas got smoked in the Cotton Bowl in the 1970 season, 24-11, yet they still claim that title.

Legitimately, Texas has three national championships, and one extremely suspect (and I'm being kind) title.

And that's despite having so much talent in their state that they have an annual pilgrimage of coaches from all across the nation down there recruiting like mad, year in and year out. That's despite having their pick of those talented players.

Bottom line, there has never been a more underachieving college football program than the University of Texas, ever.

They are like the Yankees, with that much money that they are able to spend for the best players, they should be playing in the World Series almost every year.

Here is HuskersGameday scathing rebuttal!

http://huskersgameday.com/2010-huskers/an-open-letter-to-mike-blackwell-of-insidetexas-com-in-response-to-dear-children-of-the-corn/

I love this section

Go grab a Webster’s dictionary, look up the definition of the word ‘hypocrite’ and stare at yourself in the mirror for 15 minutes. You are the definition of the word “hypocrite”. Your provincial view of the college football landscape can be summed up thusly: “Everything is okay unless Bevo doesn’t get his way.”

By pretending that y’all wanted to cross the Golden Gate Bridge holding hands with Rachel Maddow on the way to your next naked yoga class in Berkeley, you conveniently got rid of Colorado and Nebraska. Two teams in your league with a combined six national championships in the past 40 years. In case y’all have forgot already and need a quick reminder: y’all have won just ONE national championship in the past 40 years. Y’all are the opposite of Theodore Roosevelt. Y’all talk loudly, but carry a small stick

You could argue Notre Dame is contending for that accolade as we speak. Weiss had those cupboards bursting with talent and couldn't even engineer a title with the ESPN bias and the weak schedule they play every year.

Hi there Husker Nation. I actually live among you all here in Omaha.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty disrespectful for what Mike Blackwell and his incompetence wrote about the Husker Nation so I thought I would write my own rebuttal. I know there are some good ones already, but I hope you appreciate my work.

Enjoy.

What He Said: A Rebuttal To Mike Blackwell's Article

I usually do not take offense to what people in the media write when it comes to their own commentary. But I must make an exception when it comes to Mr. Mike Blackwell’s article he wrote for Inside Texas Magazine on July 21, 2010.

First, let it be known I am neither a Husker nor a Longhorn fan. I do not cheer for either team at all. Though I do have more respect for Nebraska than Texas. Let me also say I understand what commentary is, and that is to state your very own opinion about something.

Now let’s get to what Mr. Blackwell wrote, shall we?

Husker fans, we appreciate the passion you show toward your football team. As Texas fans, we have always admired you and appreciated your tradition and class. But you began a dance with the dark side a few years ago by hiring a coach from the Bob Stoops tree. In the old days, your very own Tom Osborne was always college football’s gentleman, and he lived the role and won championships.

When has Texas fans admired anyone or anything but themselves? That right there should have sent off a red flag for all readers, because Texas fans are the most conceded in the entire country. They actually think they are entitled to everything and anything.

Bo Pelini is not from the Bob Stoops coaching tree. Sure their families are close and they are close friends themselves, but to say Pelini is from the Stoops tree is not true at all. The only thing Bo Pelini done with Bob Stoops is coach as co-defensive coordinator for one season before heading to LSU.

Though Tom Osborne may have been a complete gentleman, Bo Pelini and Dr. Osborne are not the same coaches or the same people. Pelini brings a lot of fire and passion in this new era of college football. He has a lot of emotion and determination to succeed.

But somewhere – say, with about one second left on the clock in last year’s Big 12 championship game – you changed. I don’t recall Osborne ever going into a rage with officials after losing a tough game, and he’s lost a ton of games much bigger than the one you lost to Texas last December.

Who cares what Osborne did after a tough loss. He is no longer the coach of the proud Husker program. Bo Pelini is that coach. In the heat of the game without any replay advantage, without any commentator’s illustrations, no one knew exactly what was going on. Was it the correct call to make? By rule yes, but how many games ended on an incomplete pass when time could have been added back onto the clock? There have been plenty. The reason this one was so infuriating for the Husker Nation is because it was for some very hard earned hardware. Both Texas and Nebraska played a very good game and both teams deserved to win that game. It is just sad that it ended the way it did, because so many other games have ended in the past on incomplete passes even though a second or two could have been added back on the clock. Had Nebraska been No. 2 in the BCS, I can almost guarantee that no time would have been put back on the clock and Nebraska wins. The Big 12 has stated in the past, that their purpose is to get teams into the BCS Championship game, so had Nebraska won, no Big 12 team would have been in that game last year.

For the next three or four paragraphs in Mr. Blackwell’s article, he goes on to talk about Tom Osborne and what and how he would have handled the situation. All the while, trying to give Mack Brown some good publicity by saying, “had you won last December’s game (you didn’t), Mack Brown would’ve been the first one to cross the field and shake your coach’s hand. He would’ve been gracious in defeat, as always.”

So would you like to comment on the asterisk incident in 2008, where Mack Brown was so infuriated that he and the university placed an asterisk labeling themselves Big 12 Champions? You want to talk about playing by the rules and being gracious in defeat, maybe the Texas coaching staff and university should understand the rules of a three way tie before crying foul about it and proclaiming themselves as Big 12 Champions?

Like you, the Longhorns have suffered painful, gut-wrenching defeats. Oklahoma mocked the Longhorns in the early 2000s. The BCS mocked us in 2008, thanks in part to the voting bloc led by Stoops’ coaching brethren, two of whom lost their jobs last year following player treatment controversies. In Georgia, Bulldogs’ fans still ask: What time is it in Texas? Answer: 10 to 9. We’ve lost to Rice, for God’s sake.

So Stoops had coaches around the nation voting for him to get him in the Big 12 Championship game? Have you ever heard of this thing called first to lose is in better position later in the season? Usually, when a team loses early in the season, not their last regular season game, they tend to fair better in the polls, if both teams have the same record and regardless of head-to-head outcomes. Had Texas taken care of Texas Tech, Texas would have faced Missouri in the 2008 Big 12 Championship game and then went on to face Florida in the BCS Championship game. Want to talk about sour grapes, you are still trying to blame this on Bob Stoops and everyone else, but your inability to beat Texas Tech. Let me mention, OU blasted Texas Tech the following week by the tune of 65-21. Oh, and Oklahoma still mocks Texas to this day, we will never stop doing so.

And like you, the Longhorns will be ready on Oct. 16. A game that would’ve been a great game between a pair of programs with mutual respect has now become a “game to circle” for both teams. The problem for you, though, is simple: you don’t have the players to make your dream come true. Your marketing team certainly has plenty of swagger, but your real swagger – spelled S-U-H – is not walking through that door.

If you do not think the Nebraska players would not have circled the Oct. 16 game against Texas before the outcome of the 2009 Big 12 Championship game, then you are sadly mistaken. Also, when has losing one player meant the swagger left with him? When has losing one great player mean the fall of a program? Last time I checked, Texas loses some very good players year in and year out, and they are able to maintain a consistent level of competition. What makes you think Nebraska, or any other team for that matter, is incapable of doing the same thing?

When next year begins, you’ll beat Western Kentucky and Idaho, and then you’ll lose in Seattle to Washington, to a team with one of the best quarterbacks in the country. You’ll beat South Dakota State, and then you might very well lose also to Kansas State in Manhattan one game before hosting Texas. It’s a very real possibility that you’ll have two losses before your red-out game with Texas. Your video will look silly then; you’ll have burnt orange crop circles in your corn.

Mr. Blackwell, I am not a rich man by any means, so do you think you can give me tonight’s lottery numbers? I could really use the money! Thanks in advance.

Also, Mr. Blackwell, you can make predictions about being in Dallas playing for the Big 12 Championship all you want. But until Texas can shore up an unproven offensive line, until Gilbert can prove that he can stop throwing interceptions (yes you can even blame Gilbert for Texas losing to Texas State in a 7 on 7 game thanks to his ability to complete passes to the other team), until Texas can find a sure handed receiver and a defensive leader, then I do not see Texas playing in Dallas for the Big 12 Championship Game.

With all that said, Mr. Blackwell, thanks for the read, it was enjoyable, but I would like to leave you with a quote from Dr. Tom Osborne, “The odds are always against you no matter what your previous history is. You have to overcome the tendency to relax.”

They are like the Yankees, with that much money that they are able to spend for the best players, they should be playing in the World Series almost every year.

Not to defend Texas, but this clearly means that there are far many more factors that go into making a championship team than how talented your team is, and the status of the top high school athletes recruiting wise is iffy at best. They're still growing, maturing, and getting used to the game. They could be horrible in a year for all we know, and that is quite common. That's why a lot of teams over sign players. So it isn't surprising that they haven't been the best team ever. Look at the Yankees of 1996-1999. In 1996, when they won the World Series, they had the fewest homeruns out of any team in baseball and among the least runs scored. The coaching and strategy had far more to do with their success, as most of their wins were very close wins.

Not to defend Texas, but this clearly means that there are far many more factors that go into making a championship team than how talented your team is, and the status of the top high school athletes recruiting wise is iffy at best. They're still growing, maturing, and getting used to the game. They could be horrible in a year for all we know, and that is quite common. That's why a lot of teams over sign players. So it isn't surprising that they haven't been the best team ever. Look at the Yankees of 1996-1999. In 1996, when they won the World Series, they had the fewest homeruns out of any team in baseball and among the least runs scored. The coaching and strategy had far more to do with their success, as most of their wins were very close wins.

Which is exactly what we are saying...Mack Brown...excellent recruiter....mediocre coach.