Texas vs. Nebraska

The only problem I had with them putting a second back on the clock is that I have a funny feeling that they wouldn't have done that if Nebraska was in the same situation but that might be me being a little naive. I feel bad for you guys about 08 but I don't think you got too robbed since it seemed like OU was the better team.

Seemed like the better team? Remember OU lost head to head to Texas on a neutral field? OU was a great team that year, but Texas proved on the field it was better.

and about the :01, it was done for you guys in the same situation in 94. Things like that have a way of going around, sometimes your team is the one catching the break, next time your team has the breaks going against you. In both the 94 Orange Bowl and the 09 CCG it was the correct call.

you mean the neutral field in dallass texass? LOL there are no neutral fields in texass

It's not in Norman, It's not in Austin. Fair Park is alomst equal distance from OU and UT (It's actually closer to OU). Fans are split 50/50. Cant get much more neutral than that.

You are 100% spot on in distance...the only difference is that the game is played in Texas's second largest city with about a 40:1 ratio of UT alums to OU alums....doesn't sound very neutral.

You obviously havent ever been to the RRR or don't live in the DFW area. DFW has tons of OU alums and fans, DFW has the largest concentration of OU alums outside of Oklahoma. For the second weekend in October thousands more travel to Dallas to take in the State Fair and the game. The night before Downtown Dallas is filled with equal numbers of Sooners and Horns. It's nowhere near the 40:1 ratio you stated. And no matter how many Longhorn alums may live in Dallas, it doesn't change the fact that the inside the stadium when the game is being played, the tickets are distributed 50/50. Half the stadium is in orange, half in crimson

Doesn't it take place during the Texas state fair as well? You would be an expert on this subject I suspect....much more than the '94 Nebraska-FSU game.

Yes it is. However, Fair Park is filled with as much or more crimson as it is with burnt orange. Believe me, I really wish playing in the Cotton Bowl gave the Horns some home field advantage. It just isn't true.

The only problem I had with them putting a second back on the clock is that I have a funny feeling that they wouldn't have done that if Nebraska was in the same situation but that might be me being a little naive. I feel bad for you guys about 08 but I don't think you got too robbed since it seemed like OU was the better team.

Seemed like the better team? Remember OU lost head to head to Texas on a neutral field? OU was a great team that year, but Texas proved on the field it was better.

and about the :01, it was done for you guys in the same situation in 94. Things like that have a way of going around, sometimes your team is the one catching the break, next time your team has the breaks going against you. In both the 94 Orange Bowl and the 09 CCG it was the correct call.

you mean the neutral field in dallass texass? LOL there are no neutral fields in texass

It's not in Norman, It's not in Austin. Fair Park is alomst equal distance from OU and UT (It's actually closer to OU). Fans are split 50/50. Cant get much more neutral than that.

You are 100% spot on in distance...the only difference is that the game is played in Texas's second largest city with about a 40:1 ratio of UT alums to OU alums....doesn't sound very neutral.

You obviously havent ever been to the RRR or don't live in the DFW area. DFW has tons of OU alums and fans, DFW has the largest concentration of OU alums outside of Oklahoma. For the second weekend in October thousands more travel to Dallas to take in the State Fair and the game. The night before Downtown Dallas is filled with equal numbers of Sooners and Horns. It's nowhere near the 40:1 ratio you stated. And no matter how many Longhorn alums may live in Dallas, it doesn't change the fact that the inside the stadium when the game is being played, the tickets are distributed 50/50. Half the stadium is in orange, half in crimson

Doesn't it take place during the Texas state fair as well? You would be an expert on this subject I suspect....much more than the '94 Nebraska-FSU game.

Yes it is. However, Fair Park is filled with as much or more crimson as it is with burnt orange. Believe me, I really wish playing in the Cotton Bowl gave the Horns some home field advantage. It just isn't true.

guess i am not the expert here like our great "old" greenhorn, but when i watched it on tv it look like 70-30 texas...just based on colors in the stand, but like i said i ain't an expert

guess i am not the expert here like our great "old" greenhorn, but when i watched it on tv it look like 70-30 texas...just based on colors in the stand, but like i said i ain't an expert

Wow, you actually watch that game? Besides tu and OU fans, pretty much everyone else thinks that game is irrelevant. ;)

I've never understood the hub-bub surrounding that game and almost never watch it. I normally have to inspect drying paint or have to cut my grass with scissors, so I miss it.

Wow, you actually watch that game? Besides tu and OU fans, pretty much everyone else thinks that game is irrelevant. ;)

I've never understood the hub-bub surrounding that game and almost never watch it. I normally have to inspect drying paint or have to cut my grass with scissors, so I miss it.

I remember going to Columbia for a couple of the NU/Missery games, and remembered being in Harpo's drinking beer and trying not to watch the Tu/OU game. I recall most of the Missery fans were cheering for Texas. Not sure what my point was, but somehow I made a connection, if to no one other than myself.

The other thing that I can’t understand necessarily is why you all feel that you somehow deserved to win that football game because you were so much better than us.

Ignoring the rest of that VERY long-winded post, there isn't a Husker football fan alive who's watched more than three football games, ever, who thinks that Nebraska was "so much better" than Texas. Anyone with ANY football acumen saw a completely dysfunctional offense sputter all night long. There was no way we deserved to win that game the way our offense executed, and it's more a testament to how overrated Texas was (as Alabama so thoroughly proved) than a display of Nebraska's worthiness.

Bottom line - if we had any kind of offense at all in that game, you guys would have been beaten by a shell of a team still very early in the rebuilding process, not even half recovered from its worst era in 40 years. That's where the disgust at the Texas braggadocio comes from - you didn't earn anything, we gave it to you. And the boasting from Texas Fan is so silly we're just shaking our heads at it now. I can't remember the last time a team was so thoroughly dominated in 1:59:59 of its last 2:00:00 of game time, yet has talked so much smack in the ensuing seven months.

Hit the nail right on the head.

Very true. The RRS, even though in Texas, is neutral. 50/50.

Just out of curiosity, wanted to ask you, if the CCG is played in Jerry's World, and UT and NU were playing, would that be a neutral site in your opinion?

Just out of curiosity, wanted to ask you, if the CCG is played in Jerry's World, and UT and NU were playing, would that be a neutral site in your opinion?

Of course it's neutral! It isn't like playing a bowl game in Miami vs. Miami on Miami's home field! :hmmph

Blah blah blah....not the same example. The second was put back by the referees not the replay booth. We've beat this to death in several other threads but since you only have 9 posts at the moment you probably haven't read those threads so now the record is straight and that's that. dedhoarse

I don't have total recall on the play but doesn't the clock stop on a first down to move the chains in 94???? We must of had a timeout to call as well, since you can't have a clock start to run a play and attempt a FG with one second. I agree that the two are totally different plays.

I listened to the audio and it is clear that when the whistle blew the clock went to zero(2009 game). Human reaction time to stop the clock resulted in it going to zero.

If KSU or NU is in that situation, they don't get that call. dedhoarse

Well technically yes. It's not either team's home field, and both schools fans have equal opportunity to buy tickets, and both schools get an equal amount of tickets as well. But. Of course there are more Texas fans in DFW than Neb fans, and thats going to put the crowd in Texas' favor. So in reality, I think Texas would have some advantage.

The CCG site is voted on by all the schools in the conference. Texas doesnt determine it's location by fiat. It's not some evil plan to give Texas an advantage, Vote to have the game at Jerry World was 11-1 I believe.

Hey Vinay,

I don't think you are incorrect about anything and I think you write well. I hope you can identify that the bleacherreport is probably the most inaccurate and off-base sports website in existence, but you are merely posting your message there because many people would be exposed to it without creating your own website.

Secondly, while I don't doubt that you are 15 and I think you write better than most adults on internet boards, there is something really wrong with your letter.

You know how there are only certain frequencies that dogs can hear, like a dog whistle? There is something that you clearly have no perception of, and that is when you are being patronizing. I don't think anyone should really care, because at 15, you're naturally inquisitive and trying to figure out the world around you, but the manner in which you do it is incredibly patronizing and rude. The way in which you wrote the letter came across more as an insult to the intelligence and temperament of the fans of the Corn Huskers than as an open quest to gain an understanding of the situation. Try to be more conscientious when you write in the future.

Otherwise, keep up the good work in writing. Understand that you are dealing with sports fans here, and Texans and Nebraskans will obviously feel very differently over the situation and that both you and the Huskers will see things very differently.

Well technically yes. It's not either team's home field, and both schools fans have equal opportunity to buy tickets, and both schools get an equal amount of tickets as well. But. Of course there are more Texas fans in DFW than Neb fans, and thats going to put the crowd in Texas' favor. So in reality, I think Texas would have some advantage.

The CCG site is voted on by all the schools in the conference. Texas doesnt determine it's location by fiat. It's not some evil plan to give Texas an advantage, Vote to have the game at Jerry World was 11-1 I believe.

Yes and the reporting up here in KC was that there was a deal: KState, KU and MU got to keep the basketball tournament at the Sprint Center in return for support for Jerry world

Why is it that we have no problem cheering for the big hit (like the safety laying out the defenseless reciever or the DE blindsiding the qb) but when they get hurt it's so sad? I mean we clap and applaud the hit but if it causes a severe injury it's a problem. So we cheer for Nebraska to kick texas' ass but heaven forbid we talk about their qb getting injured. Don't get me wrong....I agree. Asante laying out the OU guy was fine...but standing over him was a problem. It's just such a fine line....

You answered your own question. Football is a contact sport. When there's big contact and everyone walks back to their huddle, no problem. That's what we like, and there's nothing wrong with that. Injuries are an unfortunate side effect of big contact. They do not happen every time, and when they do, we're concerned about the player, regardless of team. Nobody wants a player to be hurt.

I guess with my profession injuries happen every time there's contact

hahaha -it's in TEXASS genius, much like the BTC is...you don't find it odd that all the officials in last year's BTCG were all tu grads or at least from the 'state' of texass? think how much more underachieving tu would be without rigged games.

(USC threw the 06 rose bowl to pay reggie bush's salary btw)

And to whoever posted that Texas got killed by Alabama, they did not. In fact, I think it's fair to say they would have won the game had Colt McCoy been on the field. As much as I hate Texas, I have respect for Colt and even a little for Mack Brown. We just target them because they are the leaders of a team with a bandwagon fan base. Let the countdown to October 16th continue: 80 days. GBR!

I posted that, and I disagree vehemently with your assessment. That game was never in question, even when Texas scored first. Alabama's D was every bit as stout as Nebraska's - they just had an offense that could move the ball. All due respect to Texas' defense, which was pretty good, Texas was not legitimately in that game after the first quarter. It's sad that McCoy got hurt so we'll never know, but everything about that game was domination by Alabama. The final score and yardage don't reflect it, maybe, but again - the outcome of that game was not in doubt.

I think the game was in question when Texas had the ball and were down by 3 with 3 minutes left in the 4th.

maybe for about 2 seconds until they got steamrolled again...even at that point it was clear that tejas had no chance. actually it was pretty clear when they needed a homer call to win the BTCG

The other thing that I can’t understand necessarily is why you all feel that you somehow deserved to win that football game because you were so much better than us. You weren’t. There were two evenly matched teams out there, and ya’ll caught a couple of breaks. Only one of McCoy’s interceptions was actually a bad pass, the other two were batted or lost by a Texas player. Early in the 4th quarter, McCoy hit a wide open James Kirkendoll in the hands and he dropped it. If he catches that football, it’s a 17-9 game, and the way your offense was playing, it’s game over. Later in the game, McCoy’s well on his way to leading a 99 yard touchdown drive, when Dan Buckner has the ball wrestled out of his hands; an interception which by the way set up your go ahead field goal. SO my point is, that we both had an equal claim to winning that game, and a lot went your way…

You had me until the what-if-score part. I just watched the game for the fifth time. I never thought we deserved to win that game. Neither team "deserved it." Both made mistakes. Kirkendoll wasn't the only guy who dropped a pass (Niles Paul in a crossing route for 60 if he hangs on, anyone?). You got gifted some lucky PI calls (I never knew you could get called for pass interference on an uncatchable ball thrown out of bounds after the receiver gives up on it) and offensive holding was removed from the rule book for that game. You were gifted points on otherwise shut down drives by the officials. The horns were just as "lucky" as Nebraska that game.

That being said, I am still not quite over the fact that we won't be playing OU/Texas frequently anymore, unless it's in the post-season. I think that Mack Brown is a class act and has represented your program well. That, however, does not stop me from rolling my eyes at you

Later in the game, McCoy’s well on his way to leading a 99 yard touchdown drive, when Dan Buckner has the ball wrestled out of his hands; an interception which by the way set up your go ahead field goal. SO my point is, that we both had an equal claim to winning that game, and a lot went your way…

It went "our way" because Gomes is a damn fine athlete and defensive back and just flat outplayed McCoy and Buckner. It had nothing to do with anything "going our way." You got outplayed, many times during that game, and you should just handle it, give credit where it's due, and stop blaming our success on your failures.

Thanks of stopping by. I can't wait for the 16th. I think anyone who has hard feelings over all of this is silly.

EDIT: Another thing, I watched the BCS Championship game again. Texas really held their own. After it was over I really couldn't help but feel like we would have had a different champion had McCoy not gone down. It was not as lopsided as I remember it being. Gilbert is going to be a good one. I think when I watched the game live I was just pissed as hell McCoy got hurt so I wasn't being very attentive.

EDIT x2: Am I the only one that acknowledges losing that way sucked but it was probably the right call?