Seems like Nebraska gets the short end of the stick

JOEY

So, since 1970. If we had won every NC game we had gone to. How many would of that been.

Seven total MNCs. We were in games where the team that beat us won the MNC, but we weren't a contender, being ranked too low.

I haven't gone year-by-year, but I can think of three in addition to our five right off the top of my head: 1984, 1993, and 2001.

So, since 1970. If we had won every NC game we had gone to. How many would of that been.

Seven total MNCs. We were in games where the team that beat us won the MNC, but we weren't a contender, being ranked too low.

I haven't gone year-by-year, but I can think of three in addition to our five right off the top of my head: 1984, 1993, and 2001.

You're right - somehow 2001 must have slipped my mind. :laughpound

I haven't gone year-by-year, but I can think of three in addition to our five right off the top of my head: 1983, 1993, and 2001.

I would add 1982 (even though that one is not a guarantee since it was a regular season game) to those and that would give us 9. NC games that we lost would be those three listed above. Beat Miami in 1983 and that's a MNC for sure, 1993 as well with Florida State, and 2001 was BCS NC so a win there guarantees another.

However, every consistent top 10 team could say the same thing over that time frame. Every year, somebody can say they "should have one it" if they make the game so I'd say just being in 8 "National Championship" games in 40 years. That is amazing by itself.

I still stand by the argument that we haven't gotten screwed and we definitely don't get the short end of the stick, that would be why many Big 8 Brethren think we are arrogant. They would love to have gotten our short end of the stick compared to theirs.

I think it’s frustrating how Nebraska only has 5 National titles, we should have way more to show for how dominant we have been throughout the years don’t you find it frustrating? It seems like we have gotten screwed over several times throughout the years.

On the flip side, look how close we were to losing our 1997 championship. Bounced ball off the leg of a receiver. I would say we deserve a few "short ends of the stick" for that one! :)

Had we beat Clemson after the 81 season we would've had a good claim to #1, though Pitt would've too after beating Georgia.

I believe turner gill was hurt and didnt start that game, and we only lost by seven.

Considering how small our state is, and a very small local recruiting base, I'd say we should be very proud of what we've got even when you factor in the heartbreaking losses. Of the 5 most "prestigious teams" (per ESPN) Nebraska has done the most with the least to work with I'd say.

When you look at all factors as a whole, we should be very happy/proud to have 5 titles and come so close in so many other cases.

Considering how small our state is, and a very small local recruiting base, I'd say we should be very proud of what we've got even when you factor in the heartbreaking losses. Of the 5 most "prestigious teams" (per ESPN) Nebraska has done the most with the least to work with I'd say.

When you look at all factors as a whole, we should be very happy/proud to have 5 titles and come so close in so many other cases.

and it goes beyond just MNCs, we have been relevant to the national discussion so long and a top echelon team. i know the past decade proved to be a low point, but still we have been up near the top for a very long time. one of the few traditional powerhouses.

I think it’s frustrating how Nebraska only has 5 National titles, we should have way more to show for how dominant we have been throughout the years don’t you find it frustrating? It seems like we have gotten screwed over several times throughout the years.

Joey, just out of curiousity....how long have you been a fan? There are quite a few relevant teams that are looking for their first NC.

Joey, just out of curiousity....how long have you been a fan? There are quite a few relevant teams that are looking for their first NC.

joe v. joey; epic. i agree with joe, mnc's are just nice to point to, but the true fan of college football will appreciate everything that has to happen to win just 1, but more importantly they will recognize the top 5-10 teams that have been in position to win an mnc more than anyone else. for every mnc we missed out on because of some unfortunate event, we can point to one we went to because of some fortunate event.

National Championships won since 1970 (includes shared)

5-Nebraska, Miami

4-Oklahoma, USC

3-Notre Dame, Alabama, Florida

2-Florida State, Penn State, LSU

1-Pitt, Georgia, Clemson, BYU, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Washington, Michigan, Tennessee, Ohio State, Texas

I'd say, since you ask about when we've been dominant, those numbers speak for themselves. As husker98 stated we have no more heartbreak than the next team. As a matter of fact, we have the most wins, highest winning percentage, and most National Championships since 1970.

If that doesn't show we've not been frustrated but rather lucky as fans, than I don't know what to tell you.

What I find interesting is that most of those National Championship teams went through Nebraska at one point of their schedules. Miami, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia Tech, Washington, Texas, Colorado. chuckleshuffle

Not sure if serious?

I think any reasonable person would be grateful for the success we have had.