Longhorns come down on Kansas High School

Horns to high school: Don’t mess with Texas

By Richard Tijerina | Thursday, July 29, 2010, 11:05 AM

“We don’t have deep enough pockets to mess with the University of Texas.”

That’s what the director of operations for a Kansas City school district had to say when its Gardner Edgerton High School’s logo ran afoul of Texas, which felt the school’s longhorn logo was too close to the Longhorns’.

Gardner-Edgerton’s mascot is the Trailblazers. Their school colors are blue and white.

Still, their logo was pretty close to Bevo:

bluehorns.jpg

The Trailblazers used the blue-and-white Bevo last year, when the school made it to a state-runner up season in football and a third place in state in basketball.

Now, the school will use another logo that’ll adorn its basketball court — — that’s far, far away from Longhorns copyright issues territory. It’s a jazzed-up steer leading a wagon. Think Bevo pulling the OU scooner:

GEHS_Formal_Logo_Stepover.embedded.prod_affiliate.81-1.JPG

Which just reinforces the point so memorably made by Shermer High School principal Richard Vernon: Don’t mess with the bull, young man. You’ll get the horns.

URL: http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2010/07/29/horns_to_high_s.html?srcTrk=RTR_781143

This would be the High School football team of one Bubba Starling...

I understand copyright and why it is important to keep their brand theirs, take Kleenex and Xerox for examples that they nearly lost their trademark. I just laugh at the fact it just happens to be one of our better commits high school team.

Pure unadulterated greed if you ask me. Not just on Texas' part either, I feel this way about any team that would come down on a H.S. for copyright violations. That includes TU, Kansas St, hell even Wisconsin will come after you if you use any kind of bold font W as your logo. Do they really think their "brand" is damaged by local schools that no one outside their regions even know exist? Give me a break with this B.S. What's next, are the Chicago Bears going to sent there smarmy lawyers after every team in the country that uses Bears, Bearcats, Cubs, Grizzlies, or any other animal mascot even remotely related to the Bear genus? This is exactly the kind of miserly corporate mindset I can't stand about the U.S. <_<

Pure unadulterated greed if you ask me. Not just on Texas' part either, I feel this way about any team that would come down on a H.S. for copyright violations. That includes TU, Kansas St, hell even Wisconsin will come after you if you use any kind of bold font W as your logo. Do they really think their "brand" is damaged by local schools that no one outside their regions even know exist? Give me a break with this B.S. What's next, are the Chicago Bears going to sent there smarmy lawyers after every team in the country that uses Bears, Bearcats, Cubs, Grizzlies, or any other animal mascot even remotely related to the Bear genus? This is exactly the kind of miserly corporate mindset I can't stand about the U.S. <_<

Wayne high school better hope they don't find out about their existence, then.

What are school's suppose to do? I can think of SO many high schools that I have seen with similar, if not identical logos as some high schools and pros. If you are a Tiger or Cardinal, what the hell are you suppose to do?

This is what I was thinking.

Don't tons of schools borrow college uniform looks and even logos?

on the flip side, something I've always wondered is why in the world you would want to look like some college or pro team and not look like your own team.

Copyright the capital letter N. Anytime any one writes or types it has to give Nebraska a penney