Good article on Gomes

Omaha World Herald

Gomes handles variety of jobs in NU secondary

By Rich Kaipust

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — P.J. Smith shakes his head in admiration for a Nebraska football teammate so versatile that somebody a year ago came up with the nickname “Hybrid.”

Smith isn't even sure what kind of limitations he would want to put on fellow Husker safety DeJon Gomes.

“He can go from safety to dime to linebacker … that kid, he's just amazing,” said Smith, a sophomore. “I think if you put him at quarterback he could do something amazing.”

Funny that Smith mentions quarterback, because Gomes says he has played everywhere in his football career but offensive line, defensive line and receiver. And the only reason he skipped receiver is that he was such a natural at natural running back that he didn't need to be moved there.

For the record, Gomes is pretty sure he could have run some patterns and caught some passes, too.

“He has that versatility to go and play anywhere,” safety Anthony West said. “That's why he kind of got the nickname. He can go down in the box for us and come back and cover. It's a great asset to have as a team.”

It may be a curse, as well, because Gomes has always been somewhat of a chess piece for coaching staffs. Nebraska brought him in as a backup cornerback and played him last season in its dime defense, then decided last winter he was as capable as anybody of making the move to safety.

The plan right now is for Gomes to play safety until the Huskers transition into their dime package, then make the in-game adjustment of sliding forward and filling his old role.

“He can kind of do a lot of things for us,” coach Bo Pelini said. “I think his progress is great. He's playing well at safety. He's already showed everybody how good he is at dime, and really he takes it back to the safety position.”

No matter the assignment, the 6-foot, 200-pound senior from Hayward, Calif., has always been determined to sink his teeth into it. The former junior-college transfer chooses to wear his versatility as a badge of honor rather than fight the changes that go with it.

“I've been bouncing around at positions ever since I started playing football,” Gomes said. “I'm just out to make a team better, whatever I can do or wherever I can go.”

Gomes heads into this season with the chance for an every-down job, an opportunity that wasn't there for him last August. It also creates the opportunity for him to show he can make steady plays as well as big plays in the Husker defense.

Some of his big plays were special last season:

• Gomes made an athletic interception in the rain at Missouri, then added a 40-yard return to set up the touchdown that gave NU its 20-12 lead.

• He prevented Kansas from possibly breaking a 10-10 third-quarter tie by poking a ball free inside the Huskers' 10-yard line in the third quarter.

• He set up Nebraska's go-ahead field goal late in the Big 12 championship game, stripping a Texas receiver for a fourth-quarter interception when the Longhorns were nearing the red zone.

“He's a ball hawk. He's a playmaker,” Smith said. “He's always in the right spot at the right time, and he's always making plays.

“When he sees the ball, he just wants to go get it. It's hard to throw the ball his way because you know he's going to be hugging his guy tight and he's going to make a play.”

Athleticism, football smarts and confidence — the Huskers saw the same traits in Gomes a year ago, West said, and now he's just taken them to a new position.

Gomes said he thinks he has a good grasp on safety — and is a good fit.

“I guess at safety you have more range, as opposed to corner being more zoned in,” he said. “Safety you definitely have a little bit more leeway. But you also have to make sure you don't extend that too much just because you're the last line of defense.”

Contact the writer:

444-1042, rich.kaipust@owh.com

I loved seeing DeJon flying around in the spring game. Not mentioned in the article is how much of a punisher he could be as a safety. Dude leveled a couple guys in that red-white game (to the tune of a couple 15-yard penalties if I remember correctly) & I look for him to do much of the same (minus the penalties) when the Blackshirts hit the field 9/4. No doubt he'll pick up right where Matty & Asante left off.