QB Race Still Wide Open

knapplc

If nothing else, this ought to put the Taylor Martinez rumors to rest. He's still on the team, still a QB, apparently.

Watson lauds maturity of QBs

After scrutinizing a dozen practices in Nebraska’s preseason camp, offensive coordinator Shawn Watson says he’s nowhere near to establishing a final pecking order in the three-man quarterback race.

This week marks a “huge” evaluation period for the entire team, Watson said Tuesday, including top quarterbacks Zac Lee, Cody Green and Taylor Martinez.

But Watson has noticed one interesting aspect of the QB competition.

“Because of the level of play, there’s a sense of competition because they know what each other’s doing, yet they’re taking care of their job, which is big,” said Watson, who doubles as quarterbacks coach. “They have to take care of themselves. If you compete, if you watch the other guy, you’re doomed to die.

“There’s an awareness (of what each other is doing). But I think all of them are mature and they’re going, ‘Hey, these guys are good. I’m in a battle. I have to take care of myself.’ That's kind of settled in with all those guys. They’ve all improved in different areas. I’m really happy with the whole group and the way they’re competing and making plays.”

I'm still betting on Lee to start.

I wouldn't bet against Lee at this point. Nothing we've heard from anyone says he's not doing well. Paul (or was it Kinnie?) was saying that Lee was rocketing the ball in camp. Unless he gets bit by the injury bug we've contracted, expect him to be the starter.

I wouldn't bet against Lee at this point. Nothing we've heard from anyone says he's not doing well. Paul (or was it Kinnie?) was saying that Lee was rocketing the ball in camp. Unless he gets bit by the injury bug we've contracted, expect him to be the starter.

Well, prepare for another season of fruitless option plays. If he can pass, we'll take it.

Well, prepare for another season of fruitless option plays. If he can pass, we'll take it.

And we'll take it because the rest of our offense will be so dynamic. We have two of the best RBs in the conference, so as long as Lee can keep the D off balance with accurate passes, all he really needs to be able to do is get Helu & Rex the rock (like you said, preferably not via the option). Oh & he's got a pretty decent WR to make plays too.

Hopefully he shows some growth in that area. His Holiday Bowl performance gave me a shimmer of hope. He'll never be a run-first QB but I believe he can be a valuable part of the ground game regardless. What I don't want is a QB who can dance with 100 yard rushing games but not complete 55% of his passes.

Thats great to hear. I hope all three get some snaps the first few games for sure. Most second year starters tend to have a better follow up season.. at all positions.

I think what could be the biggest decision this season is if the starter clearly struggles and it affects the offense during a game. Does he stay in and they show support for him to battle through it? Or do they make a move and put in the next guy? I really hope the coaches are practicing those tough decisions on paper. They need to prepare and be sharp to make an instant decision that they can stand behind. Cause last year it seemed they were at a loss & didnt know what to do. Personally, if the talent & competitiveness is about the same, I would sit the starter and insert the backup. I'm all for showing encouragement for a starter that is struggling, but everyone in the nation knows the biggest question the Huskers have this year is at QB. The coaching staff cannot sit back and allow the team, or the season for that matter, to be handcuffed on offense by lack of making tough decisions at QB. Def not this year.

Listening to Bill King this morning, Sean Callahan was on and he said it appeared to him it was Zac's job. He was a new man in every aspect.

I really could care less who starts, as long as it is the best one. I do hope Zac is healed and because of his experience feel he would be best, but I think it depends on what the offense is going to be.

Zac gave a lot last year, took a lot of badgering from the fans and never said a word. That impresses me. A leader, by actions. My guess is the team feels the same way.

If Lee is our QB I would like to just shelve the Option. Green and/or Martinez (heck, even Washington) would be eminently preferable as an Option QB over Lee. Yeah, he was better in the bowl game, but man, he's still not looking like a great "option" with the Option.

Stick to your strengths. If there's one thing we know about Zac Lee, it's that he's not a great runner. Play to his strengths if he's the guy, and if we don't get too creative or cute, we'll be fine.

Listening to Bill King this morning, Sean Callahan was on and he said it appeared to him it was Zac's job. He was a new man in every aspect.

I really could care less who starts, as long as it is the best one. I do hope Zac is healed and because of his experience feel he would be best, but I think it depends on what the offense is going to be.

Zac gave a lot last year, took a lot of badgering from the fans and never said a word. That impresses me. A leader, by actions. My guess is the team feels the same way.

^ This. I have been impressed by this for some time now. Quite a showing of maturity from this young man, and maturity is what builds a leader.