Bo interviews with AP tonight

http://www.csnbayare...tsid=19279&stsq=

Bo might allow access this week after all.

Irritated by some media members' reporting methods, Pelini announced he was cutting off access to players and coaches for three days.

But in a phone interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday night, the mercurial third-year coach said he might relent and allow access sometime before Saturday.

"I don't want this place to be Fort Knox,'' he said. "That's not my nature.''

Pelini confirmed Wednesday night that Fisher broke his leg and is out for the season. He also said backup cornerback Anthony Blue tore his anterior cruciate ligament Tuesday and is out.

Pelini said he was upset with reporters who called Fisher's family and high school coach to get confirmation of the injury.

"The kid was still on the (operating) table last night, and people were calling the family,'' he said. "That's crossing the line.''

Pelini said he should be the person to release injury news.

He said he initially decided to ban the media to send a message that reporters should respect his policies. But he said a number of reporters told him that they must answer to their bosses and would continue to do whatever it takes to get a story.

"Keeping out the media for a few days apparently isn't going to change anything,'' he said.

Pelini said he would continue to ban guests from practices. Typically, former players and members of current players' families, among other people, are allowed to watch practices.

Pelini said a guest posted what happened at Tuesday's practice on an Internet message board.

"The guest was a friend of one of our coaches,'' Pelini said. "You would think he would have known better.''

Since no one reads these things Shatel must be wrong; We, the fans won't be hurt by the media not being allowed in the practice. I will miss hearing 6 different reporters ask who the starting QB is. Darn.

I can understand why Coach was mad though.

And why the media looks like hookers after the almighty $$ cause their pimps want them to get it no matter the sensitivity of an issue.

GBR

Somebody please tell USC and their awful mutant offspring in the morning to put a sock in it. They aren't special, OWH be damned as well. Both the University as an entity and Coach Pelini in particular are intimately involved, and fully vested in the matter. I personally trust Bo's take on this, seeing how well the program has responded under his leadership, and specifically due to T.O.'s over-seeing the entire operation.

This is football, not 8th grade recess.

Shatel is an Idiot. The media is to busy trying to make some national media buzz to boost their own career. I think its funny that now they are crying like little babies. Oh Shatel your recent blog is really going to make Bo think about what he did. News flash HE DOSNT CARE NOR DO WE!!!!!!!

So if media is banned, I take it Nebraska won't be doing a ESPNU all-access to their practice and lifting sessions like Alabama did... :sarcasm

Well there is probably a somewhat different standard for the national media, they don't really cover if someone who isn't a star is injured... They definitely don't do it before its confirmed by local media/coaches. I'd view things like ESPNU as more of a national publicity tool.

Bo's gonna have to come to grips with the fact that things are generally going to get out faster then he wants because of the nature of the internet. Hell some things he may not have any idea about may be floating around out here already.

The media needs to come to grips with the fact they are going to be scooped by message boards/twitter/whatever due to their nature... They need to focus on better articles with interesting takes on things or analysis, or info from the coaches rather than tweets and snippets about things like injuries. Posters don't have to fact check and trying to compete with the internet blogs/message boards/twitter to be the first to break the news is a battle they will rarely win. If you are calling someone's family to confirm an injury that happened minutes ago... That is out of line unless you are a family member, I don't care what your profession is.

Maybe Bo needs to address injuries on the evening they happen as a compromise or something so the media feels like they get their "scoop" and they can leave poor kids families and friends alone while their loved ones are on the operating table. Who knows, I agree with him on that, but simply punishing people isn't going to help anything.

I dont think Bo and Co need to compromise on anything, they have a job to do and that is to win football games and make young men better in life etc. If the media can't write something more important than a kid blowing his leg out and ruining his career then maybe they need to take a pay raise and work at applebee's as a fry cook.

I dont think Bo is one of those saban/kiffin type coaches that want to be as hyped as thier players... he's pretty much focused on two things... winning and kicking ass

i think bo is very concious to realize that a lot of the press in college football doesnt exactly follow the usual theory of 'all press is good press'

All of this just makes me love Pelini even more and if he feels practice should be closed then I trust his judgement especially when you have members of the media calling a players family while the guy is still being operated on. All he is doing is trying to send a message and it also shows that he truly cares about his players, their families and the team.

Pelini rules!

I dont think Bo and Co need to compromise on anything, they have a job to do and that is to win football games and make young men better in life etc. If the media can't write something more important than a kid blowing his leg out and ruining his career then maybe they need to take a pay raise and work at applebee's as a fry cook.

They are going to report injuries either way. When something like a 3 line press release after informing families and practice ends like Ubben suggests here: http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/15428/no-easy-solution-for-nebraska-media-ban could eliminate the need for reporters to rush to confirm things. Seems a lot easier then maintaining the status quo and trying to keep an unrealistic amount of control over that information, then punishing people when you lose it. That's just going to make it happen again down the line.

Bo's wrong here too, he's fighting a battle that doesn't even need to be fought and was probably already lost when fan message boards first started popping up.

• Fire 2

Bo is a football coach, not a journalist. He probably knows as much about journalism as journalists know about football. We expect a certain literacy in sports from our journalists, but we don't expect them to know Xs and Os like we expect our coaches to know - so why would we expect Bo to know the "correct" way to handle this according to journalists?

I want my coach focusing on football. If that means he's not slick with the press, I'm willing to live with that.

• Fire 2

They are going to report injuries either way. When something like a 3 line press release after informing families and practice ends like Ubben suggests here: http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/15428/no-easy-solution-for-nebraska-media-ban could eliminate the need for reporters to rush to confirm things. Seems a lot easier then maintaining the status quo and trying to keep an unrealistic amount of control over that information, then punishing people when you lose it. That's just going to make it happen again down the line.

Bo's wrong here too, he's fighting a battle that doesn't even need to be fought and was probably already lost when fan message boards first started popping up.

I agree.

Bo is a football coach, not a journalist. He probably knows as much about journalism as journalists know about football. We expect a certain literacy in sports from our journalists, but we don't expect them to know Xs and Os like we expect our coaches to know - so why would we expect Bo to know the "correct" way to handle this according to journalists?

I want my coach focusing on football. If that means he's not slick with the press, I'm willing to live with that.

I agree we had a coach who was slick with the press it didn't work to good