Huskers will be defined by their ground game

For every compliment Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson’s doled out since last December’s 33-0 win in the Holiday Bowl - and he’s doled out his share - there seems to be a little voice that reminds him to temper each line praise with another of caution.

It happened again Tuesday night. By Watson’s mood and comments - and the ticked-off looks on the faces of Husker defenders you could tell: The offense had a good day against an even better defense.

“We made a handful of plays,” Watson allowed. Against these budding Blackshirts, hey - a handful can look like a Barry Switzer-style half a hundred. Especially when the uber-competitive Brothers Pelini are, however briefly, on the receiving end.

But Watson carefully added this: “We have to put it on film when it really counts.”

And that’s smart. Even if Nebraska’s offense was besieged with injuries last year (it was) and head coach Bo Pelini declared martial law and put the attack on early curfew with two and three tight ends to guard the gates (he did), Watson perhaps knows now that, well, this is Nebraska.

Husker fans love them some defense. But it’s gobbling up those chunks of yards, accompanied by a bonanza of points, that puts more stars in their eyes.

Watson’s offense didn’t do that last year, and revisionist history has more credit going to quarterback Joe Ganz in 2008 than to Watson, even if the OC had to rebuild the offense after a disastrous 52-17 loss to Missouri that year and did so - in a week.

Remember the stigma Scott Frost collected in 1996 after his second start at Arizona State (19-0 loss, three safeties, Frost’s rear end in a proverbial sling)? Despite recovering nicely that year, Frost didn’t shake it - or the doubts or the boos - until 1997. It took one quarter, two long touchdown runs, and a 27-14 win at Washington to do it. To put it on film - when it really counts.

Funny, that the Huskers return to Seattle in 2010.

Funny, too, that what will save the Huskers’ bacon in Husky Stadium this year, is the same thing that Nebraska used 13 years ago: A healthy, dominant, downhill running game.

Play your three-card QB monte all you want. Ganz and Zac Taylor aren’t walking through that door. At least not in uniform. At least not this year. Watson isn’t going to be able to stick Lee - and certainly not Cody Green or Taylor Martinez - in a shotgun and ask him to deal 45 times a game. Or 35 times a game. Frankly, 25 is pushing it under Bo’s new watch.

It’ll be land with an occasional dose of air. A Tom Watson seven-iron at Carnoustie. More zone read plays, less dig and drive routes.

“If you can run the ball it doesn’t matter what else is going on,” Lee said. “You can move the ball, be steady, control the clock.”

You saw it in the spring and again now in fall - the Huskers are packing for a long, fruitful winter of smashmouth football. The quarterback race, while interesting, is subplot of the main story: Folks - up close - this is a huge offense, built for power.

Aside from undersized center Mike Caputo - and he’s far from small - it’s the biggest and tallest I can remember. The backs all weigh north of 205 pounds. The starting wide receivers measure 6-1, 220, 6-3, 220 and 6-4, 235. Tight end Ben Cotton is 6-6, 255.

Running backs coach Tim Beck has spent all of fall camp drilling into his pupils' heads: Don’t get cute with your running style. Don’t search for a hole. Cut and go. Get tough yards. Wear down the opponent. Play faster.

“Be more physical,” Beck said. “Be more decisive. When there’s not a hole - create one.”

Pound, pound, pound.

And whether any of it works hinges on the offensive line. You hear the raves, sure. And after the Huskers smash-n-grab Western Kentucky and Idaho, you’ll hear some more. But they’ll need to put it on tape. When it really counts.

To me the Washington game is going to possibly define the entire season, and maybe even Waton's future. If we go in there and have trouble putting points on the board I don't think anyone will be able to shake the feeling that the offense is going to need a completely new direction. But if we go in there and rush for three hundred yards and five touchdowns, all will be well with the world. We'll find out soon enough.

Washington is going to be a better team than I think people give them credit for this year. Are they winning the Pac 10? Probably not. But, I think they have a very good chance to get eight wins. Not lighting up the score board against them shouldn't appear as a disappointment, at least in my eyes.

Second, I think this is an interesting article but I still feel the year is going to be defined by the play of our quarterback (whoever he is). I have confidence in our backfield and in our o-line to run the ball, but the biggest concern will be whether or not we can get quarterback play similar to what Lee did in the non-con and the bowl game last year.

For every compliment Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson’s doled out since last December’s 33-0 win in the Holiday Bowl - and he’s doled out his share - there seems to be a little voice that reminds him to temper each line praise with another of caution.

It happened again Tuesday night. By Watson’s mood and comments - and the ticked-off looks on the faces of Husker defenders you could tell: The offense had a good day against an even better defense.

“We made a handful of plays,” Watson allowed. Against these budding Blackshirts, hey - a handful can look like a Barry Switzer-style half a hundred. Especially when the uber-competitive Brothers Pelini are, however briefly, on the receiving end.

But Watson carefully added this: “We have to put it on film when it really counts.”

And that’s smart. Even if Nebraska’s offense was besieged with injuries last year (it was) and head coach Bo Pelini declared martial law and put the attack on early curfew with two and three tight ends to guard the gates (he did), Watson perhaps knows now that, well, this is Nebraska.

Husker fans love them some defense. But it’s gobbling up those chunks of yards, accompanied by a bonanza of points, that puts more stars in their eyes.

Watson’s offense didn’t do that last year, and revisionist history has more credit going to quarterback Joe Ganz in 2008 than to Watson, even if the OC had to rebuild the offense after a disastrous 52-17 loss to Missouri that year and did so - in a week.

Remember the stigma Scott Frost collected in 1996 after his second start at Arizona State (19-0 loss, three safeties, Frost’s rear end in a proverbial sling)? Despite recovering nicely that year, Frost didn’t shake it - or the doubts or the boos - until 1997. It took one quarter, two long touchdown runs, and a 27-14 win at Washington to do it. To put it on film - when it really counts.

Funny, too, that what will save the Huskers’ bacon in Husky Stadium this year, is the same thing that Nebraska used 13 years ago: A healthy, dominant, downhill running game.

Play your three-card QB monte all you want. Ganz and Zac Taylor aren’t walking through that door. At least not in uniform. At least not this year. Watson isn’t going to be able to stick Lee - and certainly not Cody Green or Taylor Martinez - in a shotgun and ask him to deal 45 times a game. Or 35 times a game. Frankly, 25 is pushing it under Bo’s new watch.

It’ll be land with an occasional dose of air. A Tom Watson seven-iron at Carnoustie. More zone read plays, less dig and drive routes.

“If you can run the ball it doesn’t matter what else is going on,” Lee said. “You can move the ball, be steady, control the clock.”

You saw it in the spring and again now in fall - the Huskers are packing for a long, fruitful winter of smashmouth football. The quarterback race, while interesting, is subplot of the main story: Folks - up close - this is a huge offense, built for power.

Aside from undersized center Mike Caputo - and he’s far from small - it’s the biggest and tallest I can remember. The backs all weigh north of 205 pounds. The starting wide receivers measure 6-1, 220, 6-3, 220 and 6-4, 235. Tight end Ben Cotton is 6-6, 255.

Running backs coach Tim Beck has spent all of fall camp drilling into his pupils' heads: Don’t get cute with your running style. Don’t search for a hole. Cut and go. Get tough yards. Wear down the opponent. Play faster.

“Be more physical,” Beck said. “Be more decisive. When there’s not a hole - create one.”

Pound, pound, pound.

And whether any of it works hinges on the offensive line. You hear the raves, sure. And after the Huskers smash-n-grab Western Kentucky and Idaho, you’ll hear some more. But they’ll need to put it on tape. When it really counts.

To me the Washington game is going to possibly define the entire season, and maybe even Waton's future. If we go in there and have trouble putting points on the board I don't think anyone will be able to shake the feeling that the offense is going to need a completely new direction. But if we go in there and rush for three hundred yards and five touchdowns, all will be well with the world. We'll find out soon enough.

This article is exactly the blueprint for NU to dominate Texas/everyone this year. If this team can pound the defense and get a couple TD's instead of FG's, then they will beat any team in the nation. Texas was considered the 2nd best team in the nation last year and only lost 1 game, we lost 4. We beat them last year with a better o-line/running game. VT, first and goal and we have to settle for a punt. 5 FG's and no TD's. NU will be unstoppable if we can pound in some TD's on the ground.

• Fire 1

Pound, pound, pound.

This article is exactly the blueprint for NU to dominate Texas/everyone this year. If this team can pound the defense and get a couple TD's instead of FG's, then they will beat any team in the nation. Texas was considered the 2nd best team in the nation last year and only lost 1 game, we lost 4. We beat them last year with a better o-line/running game. VT, first and goal and we have to settle for a punt. 5 FG's and no TD's. NU will be unstoppable if we can pound in some TD's on the ground.

:yeah I agree 100%

Washington is going to be a better team than I think people give them credit for this year. Are they winning the Pac 10? Probably not. But, I think they have a very good chance to get eight wins. Not lighting up the score board against them shouldn't appear as a disappointment, at least in my eyes.

Second, I think this is an interesting article but I still feel the year is going to be defined by the play of our quarterback (whoever he is). I have confidence in our backfield and in our o-line to run the ball, but the biggest concern will be whether or not we can get quarterback play similar to what Lee did in the non-con and the bowl game last year.

Maybe I’m foolish but I’m just not that worried about Washington. Sure, Jake Locker blah blah blah, I know. But the strengths of our defense are our D-line and defensive backs. The Blackshirts can handle Locker. I am a little worried about playing in Husky Stadium. But we’ve played in loud, hostile environments before. And done just fine. I think we roll over the Huskies on their home turf. Gimme another swig O that Kool-Aid!!

Great reminder amid all the QB discussion. We may not be returning to Osborne's option, but the fact we're beefing up for a strong running game tells me we're heading in the right direction. It will be nice to see our Oline opening gaping holes in the opposing Ds again, & we have the personnel to do just that.

And I love seeing this from Beck. If we're better conditioned than our opponents & constantly wearing them down throughout the game, we'll be them when it matters most - the 4th quarter.

Maybe I’m foolish but I’m just not that worried about Washington. Sure, Jake Locker blah blah blah, I know. But the strengths of our defense are our D-line and defensive backs. The Blackshirts can handle Locker. I am a little worried about playing in Husky Stadium. But we’ve played in loud, hostile environments before. And done just fine. I think we roll over the Huskies on their home turf. Gimme another swig O that Kool-Aid!!

Don't get me wrong, I think we are going to win that game, but I don't think anybody should feel like we are going to waltz in there and dominate them.

those are my thoughts exactly. i am thinking a two possession/two touchdown win. i just do not see washington being that much better than last year. yes they have an excellent quarterback, but what else? and if their strong suit is their offense, well we will match up much better.

Maybe Im foolish but Im just not that worried about Washington. Sure, Jake Locker blah blah blah, I know. But the strengths of our defense are our D-line and defensive backs. The Blackshirts can handle Locker. I am a little worried about playing in Husky Stadium. But weve played in loud, hostile environments before. And done just fine. I think we roll over the Huskies on their home turf. Gimme another swig O that Kool-Aid!!

those are my thoughts exactly. i am thinking a two possession/two touchdown win. i just do not see washington being that much better than last year. yes they have an excellent quarterback, but what else? and if their strong suit is their offense, well we will match up much better.

Let's take a quick look at the notable teams Washington played at home last season, a season in which the Huskies finished 5-7.

Beat USC 16-13. Beat AZ 36-33. Barely lost to LSU 31-23.

Think what you want about these teams, but it's no easy task getting a win in Seattle....unless we play to the caliber Oregon did last year, as they were the only team who beat WU handily in Seattle (43-19).

Washington is a weird team to figure. They gave up nine more sacks than the Huskers on only 30 more pass attempts. They return a bunch of veterans on their O Line, but they're shuffling guys to different spots (I know, not unusual). For only throwing the ball 30 more times than Nebraska, they also only scored five more passing TDs than we did, and overall their offense scored less than one point per game more than ours - and we were terrible last year.

Even though they return a bunch of starters, it's not like they were tremendously productive.

Washington is a weird team to figure. They gave up nine more sacks than the Huskers on only 30 more pass attempts. They return a bunch of veterans on their O Line, but they're shuffling guys to different spots (I know, not unusual). For only throwing the ball 30 more times than Nebraska, they also only scored five more passing TDs than we did, and overall their offense scored less than one point per game more than ours - and we were terrible last year.

Even though they return a bunch of starters, it's not like they were tremendously productive.

I just hope people aren't disappointed if we walk out of there with something like a 24-10 win or something like that. I personally think that will be a pretty good win, but I get the feeling some people are going to be disappointed if we don't win 42-10 or something like that. I just don't see that big of a point differential occurring.

Some are picking them to win the Pac 10.

Sark is a good coach, did pretty good last year. You can bet this game is getting all of their attention. They win this game, their program is back.

I agree we will have our hands full, most likely until late 4th quarter, when the running backs take over the game. 27-14 is my guess.

I just hope people aren't disappointed if we walk out of there with something like a 24-10 win or something like that. I personally think that will be a pretty good win, but I get the feeling some people are going to be disappointed if we don't win 42-10 or something like that. I just don't see that big of a point differential occurring.

Are you kidding? With our offense I highly doubt anyone will have a problem with us getting 24 points. Even with their truly, TRULY pathetic defense.

To run up some points on anybody that isn't a SunBelt team will be major progress and will be welcomed in a big way. I doubt we'll totally shut down thier fine offense. But this year we'll require at least some small amount of offensive competence.