Will the WAC exist in 2011?

Manhattan

With the amount of teams that have jumped ship, how will this conference survive? There are only six teams left (Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada are leaving 2011-2012). If the conference doesn't pick up some teams from lesser conferences or promote some FCS teams, I think they will dissolve in 2011 along these lines:

Hawaii - Independent

San Jose State - End football? GWC (FCS)?

Louisiana Tech - Sun Belt

Idaho - Big Sky (FCS)?

New Mexico State - Sun Belt

Utah State - Con USA

If Hawaii goes independent itd be another tough blow. The rumors are also talking Utah St to the Mountain West. The WAC commish is talking about adding some FCS schools, Montana, TX-San Antonio, some others.

Rumors also continue on the final PAC10 vote of approval for Utah and CU.

I dont understand what the MWC is doing. Fresno could be a good addition, but what does Nevada bring as opposed to some CUSA schools like UH and SMU? I dont get it. Should rename MWC the WAC if these moves unfold. Thats what the MWC is without BYU and Utah.

La Tech to the Sun Belt makes a great deal of sense geographically. Some of these schools will most likely have to drop down to FCS for football at least. San Jose St, Idaho, New Mexico St, Utah St, Hawaii..these schools do not have much pull. Hawaii gives opponents a benefit if they travel to Hawaii because it gives the opportunity to play an extra game per special NCAA rule, so Hawaii usually finds suitors this way to offset the cost of going out there. I can see SJSU, Idaho and NMSU dropping down. Utah St too if they can't connect with the MWC. These schools do not have overwhelming followings and most likely lose money for their schools rather than make money. Wasn't SJSU on the verge of cutting football period a few years ago? Hawaii could probably survive as an independent, but will not thrive by any means. The big problem with Hawaii is that travel is always going to be a huge problem. They could join the Big East and not be much worse off than they are now(not saying anything how the conference would be affected). What's the difference between flying from Hawaii to Reston, LA as opposed to flying from Hawaii to NYC. Not a whole lot. The WAC is definitely in REAL bad shape. The bad thing is, there is no one that they can grab that will give the conference any punch. The Big 10 grabbed Nebraska. The Pac 10 nabbed Utah. The MWC grabbed Boise St, Fresno St and Nevada. The WAC has nobody to steal from.

Here is the plan.. they will join an non-football conference

either the West coast conference or Big West Conference (most likely choice)

UH will go independent... they will become the bitches of the world in order to survive.. they are gonna spend A LOT of time on the road (rumors of 7 GAMES on the road).... basicly they will be a team that will play any team anywhere thats willing to host us in order to survive...... maybe we can swing some home-away games with the usually suspects (Oregon state, usc, perhaps more USC, UNLV, SDSU maybe) those kind of schools.... anyways everyone is SOOO PISSED over here...i dont know...... i mean those teams did what they thought they needed do to survive... just like nebraska left in order to survive like tom said for the next 100 years....

oh well

I always thought Hawaii was kind of fun to watch an usually a good tv draw due to the time differance they play a little later than everyone else meaning the only game on at the time. I would think that would apeal to some confernce out there.

SJSU may be in trouble but if the MWC is looking to become a power player they could add a market by adding them

La Tech is a perfect fit for the sunbelt

Idaho Feel bad for them but they could fit in somewhere even if it is FCS.

New Mexico State I could easily see them going to the MWC they have an in state rival in the confernce, and a good geographic fit.

Utah State is kind of interesting, possible for the MWC but they reall do not add anything, nor do they have any natural rival in the divison since Utah split. They may fit inot the MWC but that is a huge reach, they would more than likely go FCS

To answer the question of the op it may not be 2011 but I think the majority would agree that the WAC is not long for this world.

The MWC really just needs to add one team. Any team to get that CCG. So Utah State, San Jose St who cares. With Boise, Fresno, BYU, TCU they're in good shape. Nevada's been a strong running team lately and add some depth in the middle. As for the WAC well I guess they didn't get very active and got left behind. They should just hook up with the rest of the big 12 as they have that in common.

Of course I blame this whole thing on Nebraska...more specifically Tom Osborne and his disdain and jealousy of Texas and Mack Brown and his 1 national title.

Don't count out Wyoming either. Wyoming football has been in an upswing this past year with the New Mexico Bowl victory over Fresno State (finishing 7-6). Wyoming has good fans too.

the rumor is now that Utah state is gonna go to the MWC... UH is still looking to go independent... our only hope is that we do well enough to make hawaii an attractive team to play for some reason.... not anything like ND... more like NAvy or something (stop snickering!!!!!).... but its gonna be a LLLOOONgg road and we will need serious recruiting to happen.. and i honestly think our current head coach (who is my next door neighboor) isn't the guy for the job... we need a guy like BO instead of his "ahh shuckks" attitude.. nice guy but too nice.... anyways i think Boise is kicking themselves now.. .still better than the WAC but i dont think MWC is gonna get that automatic bid any time soon anymore.........

SJSU and NWSU and IDaho are in serious trouble.......