PreSeason Rankings - your turn

knapplc

Where do you REALISTICALLY think the Huskers should be ranked in the preseason?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for the 11-15 range considering how questionable our offense is.

i think we should be in the 8-11 range (i was going to say 9-11 range, but did not want to "go there"). i know our offense, especially o-line and qb are the big question, but does anyone think our offense will be worse this year? as bad as they were last year, we still had a pretty good season.

True but even if they've improved a little bit from last year then we'll be a top 10 team maybe and if they're just as bad then a 11-15 team. As of now we don't know so I'll go with 11-15, hope they prove otherwise by stepping up the offensive production.

i agree, and honestly i would be happy with anything in the top 15. however, since preseason polls mean squat and i really do not care about them, why not want and be happy that NU is ranked so high. what's wrong with more love?

i would say about 14-17 but i said 11-15. I love what this team has but until we prove we can beat the big boys, we are not there yet but we're close.

I think the O-line and running game will be better. I think T-mart adds the option and run game from the QB spot if he is a starter. I love what this team can do.

I agree with your 14-17 assesment I voted 16-20 but put us in the same 14-17 cagagory the big shot to get the prooven done is getting closer and closer. 10/16

I like this list, my only qualm is with VaTech being top 5, the ACC coastal will likely tear itself apart fro the inside out. But that's neither here nor there.

I voted 11-15 because 14 was where we finished, and until we can prove that we can close out close games rather than losing in heartbreaking fashion and playing "what if", then we don't deserve to be ranked any higher than 14. Don't get me wrong, I expect in year 3 of Bo's system that the mental errors and self destructions should be minimized and we CAN be a top 10 team, but they need to prove it to me and everyone else.

I like this list, my only qualm is with VaTech being top 5, the ACC coastal will likely tear itself apart fro the inside out. But that's neither here nor there.

I voted 11-15 because 14 was where we finished, and until we can prove that we can close out close games rather than losing in heartbreaking fashion and playing "what if", then we don't deserve to be ranked any higher than 14. Don't get me wrong, I expect in year 3 of Bo's system that the mental errors and self destructions should be minimized and we CAN be a top 10 team, but they need to prove it to me and everyone else.

i do not think you are wrong, but the counter-argument would be that every year is different. the polls are not a continuation from the previous year (although they can be for some voters, there is no standard rubric of how someone has to vote). NU has the potential and after a season, every team is influx, and i think that helped NU because we are retaining many important players, and the ones we lost were on defense, and BO will always produce a strong defense and we are deep on the defensive side of the ball.

my question is, who deserves to be ranked higher than us that is not already ranked higher than us? and whoever you say, i am sure i could make as strong of an argument that NU should be ranked higher than them. i am not saying that there are not any teams that should not be ranked higher than NU, all i am saying is that i think we would have as strong of an argument as them to be there.

I think this goes along with the question of a pollster's philosophy in their poll. Do you try to create a poll that reflects where you think teams will end up, or where they are on paper? I typically go with an "as is" approach, not looking at schedules. I doubt seriously that the Longhorns will get through their four-game stretch of Tech, UCLA, Oklahoma and Nebraska unscathed, and I really think they'll lose two of those four. But on paper, they have all the players to make another run at the MNC, so I put them higher than where I think they'll finish.

At this point I think anything higher than 10 is generous. I went with 11-15, but with our schedule we could very easily finish higher than that. Phil Steele has us picked 12-0 going into the championship game. Lot of people piling on the expectations.

Cant look like a genius unless you take a chance. If he hits he looks brilliant, and he will be sure to tell you how he know all about it.

If he fails, kind of like arguing how great KU would be last year and picking MU to finish 5th in the north, he will pass over it like he doesnt know what you are talking about.

F.y.i, Steele was interviewed on KC radio few weeks back and denied ever putting MU to finish 5th. The host then read Phil's own works back to him from last years book to which he had no answer. I though it was funny and actually made me giggle a little. :laughpound

yeah i said giggle....whats it to ya! :box

I put 6-10 because I agree with the coaches and AP poll that had us 8/9th. We have plenty of questions but so does every team. Bama is practically replacing their entire defense yet everyone pretty much agrees they are the best team. We return 10 starters on offense so our offense should definitely be improved and I don't expect much of a drop off on defense so I think you can justifiably rank us there.

I'm not responding to Knapple's list here, just in general to all lists of rankings.

It's just downright crazy to see Texas, OK and NU all ranked behind both Boise State and TCU. The Big 12 Teams just suck this year don't they!

To me, it's a perfect reason why you wait until week 4 or week 6 to set these rankings. If the traditional use of the rankings occurs, these two teams have to win the two "real" games they play and then put it on auto-pilot the rest of the season and be in the championship game.

I don't like the look of it thus far ... and I'd have to say that I like both those teams and what they are trying to get accomplished.

I ranked my Huskers 16-20 in the poll. I feel good in spot #16 because of the defense and the lack of knowing how the QB spot fills out. We will see how good our D is against Washington and the probable #1 NFL draft pick last season and for sure #1 this season in Looker.

SheepdogMark

To me, it's a perfect reason why you wait until week 4 or week 6 to set these rankings.

Agreed. Preseason polls are so much guesswork. We don't even know who our starting QB is going to be at this point, so saying we should be #11 is a stretch. There are similar stretches to be made for every other team, even teams returning most of their starters. I just did mine to precipitate conversation, but overall, they're pretty silly.

I'll guarantee that at least one team I put in my top ten won't be ranked at season's end. How's that for worthwhile?

The 8-10 range is reasonable. Our D will be on par with last year. And our offense will certainly be better. What would our record have been if we had, say, the 50th ranked offense in the nation last year?

The 8-10 range is reasonable. Our D will be on par with last year. And our offense will certainly be better. What would our record have been if we had, say, the 50th ranked offense in the nation last year?

exactly. and don't forget the most important returning starter... BOSEPH. first, he has improved the team every year. second, our defense, which is what wins championships, will always be solid. third, it's been a hot summer, have an ice-cold, big glass of :koolaid2: