Best Guess on Texas kickoff time

I bet people who enjoy NASCAR can defend it almost as heavily as soccer fans defend soccer.

I'm with you though. However, I also realize it's a cultural thing. My entire family (for the most part) thinks NASCAR is "a waste of time", ergo we never watch it. Same reason I never watched soccer in my family: nobody likes it.

Soccer has a worldwide following. NASCAR does not. Please don't compare the two.

:facepalm:

I am not comparing them in that way and you are taking it out of context. I purely said that NASCAR, like soccer, is comparative culturally. Just because one is national and one is country specific doesn't mean they're not comparable, because they are.

So, for the sake of the thread, let's not get into this.

I was really hoping for a night game. Bummer.

This isn't “official," but it's about as close as you can get concerning TV coverage of Big 12 football and kickoff times.

The Oct. 16 Texas at Nebraska game is on track to be televised on ABC at 2:30 p.m.

“That's the most likely scenario," a person with direct knowledge of the situation said Friday.

That deep into the season, the Big 12 television partners pick either 12 days or six days before a game, and slot them into morning, afternoon or evening windows. Those parameters will apply to Texas-Nebraska.

But here's why ABC at 2:30 p.m. looks like the spot:

• Many fans assumed the game would be played in prime time. But ABC is committed to showing NASCAR's Bank of America 500 in Charlotte, N.C., at 6:30 that night.

• There is no crossover ESPN evening window available to the Big 12 that night.

• ABC has very few 11 a.m. national windows this season, and it has given no notice that it would open such a spot on Oct. 16.

That leaves ABC with its 2:30 p.m. time slot with the first selection, and Texas-Nebraska is clearly the Oct. 16 game of the day.

Again, it's not official. Don't schedule your wedding around it. But 2:30 p.m. looks like the time.

– Lee Barfknecht

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100827/BIGRED/708279855#best-guess-2-30-kickoff-for-texas-nu

Ummmmmm......... So this game is gonna go against Michigan/Iowa and be a regional telecast game!!!!???!!!? Nice way to go Big 12.

Also on the Big 12 TV schedule it says the ESPN windows are flexible and can be moved. Im not saying Lee is wrong or I am right, but this doesnt sound right at all.

college football tv schedule

big 12 tv windows

This.

"Sources suggest that a 2:30 pm kickoff time is the most likely scenario for the Nebraska/Texas football game, according to Lee Barfknecht of the Omaha World-Herald. But while I don't completely dismiss a 2:30 pm kickoff, I tend to lean against it, unless Nebraska loses to Washington or Kansas State.

Barfknecht's sources admit that ABC hasn't given any indication that they will be opening an 11 am kickoff window for October 16th, but you can read that both ways. ABC is leaving their options open, and likely won't make any decision until October...maybe not even until the Kansas State game.

..."

http://huskermike.blogspot.com/2010/08/lee-barfknecht-says-nuut-at-230-pm-i.html

I was really hoping for a night game. Bummer.

This isn't official," but it's about as close as you can get concerning TV coverage of Big 12 football and kickoff times.

The Oct. 16 Texas at Nebraska game is on track to be televised on ABC at 2:30 p.m.

That's the most likely scenario," a person with direct knowledge of the situation said Friday.

That deep into the season, the Big 12 television partners pick either 12 days or six days before a game, and slot them into morning, afternoon or evening windows. Those parameters will apply to Texas-Nebraska.

But here's why ABC at 2:30 p.m. looks like the spot:

Many fans assumed the game would be played in prime time. But ABC is committed to showing NASCAR's Bank of America 500 in Charlotte, N.C., at 6:30 that night.

There is no crossover ESPN evening window available to the Big 12 that night.

ABC has very few 11 a.m. national windows this season, and it has given no notice that it would open such a spot on Oct. 16.

That leaves ABC with its 2:30 p.m. time slot with the first selection, and Texas-Nebraska is clearly the Oct. 16 game of the day.

Again, it's not official. Don't schedule your wedding around it. But 2:30 p.m. looks like the time.

Lee Barfknecht

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100827/BIGRED/708279855#best-guess-2-30-kickoff-for-texas-nu

Ummmmmm......... So this game is gonna go against Michigan/Iowa and be a regional telecast game!!!!???!!!? Nice way to go Big 12.

Also on the Big 12 TV schedule it says the ESPN windows are flexible and can be moved. Im not saying Lee is wrong or I am right, but this doesnt sound right at all.

college football tv schedule

big 12 tv windows

This.

"Sources suggest that a 2:30 pm kickoff time is the most likely scenario for the Nebraska/Texas football game, according to Lee Barfknecht of the Omaha World-Herald. But while I don't completely dismiss a 2:30 pm kickoff, I tend to lean against it, unless Nebraska loses to Washington or Kansas State.

Barfknecht's sources admit that ABC hasn't given any indication that they will be opening an 11 am kickoff window for October 16th, but you can read that both ways. ABC is leaving their options open, and likely won't make any decision until October...maybe not even until the Kansas State game.

Furthermore, according to the Big XII conference, "ESPN sublicenses six games from FSN, dates may be flexible and times are tentative." Three ESPN games are already set: SMU at Texas Tech on Sunday, September 5 and two Thursday night games, Texas A&M at Oklahoma State on September 30 and Nebraska at Kansas State on October 7. All other dates are labeled "tentative": October 30th at 8:15 pm, November 6th at 6 pm, and November 20th at 6 pm.

But some of those dates don't have particularly compelling games that would be attractive for ESPN/ABC. October 30th has Nebraska-Missouri, A&M-Tech, Oklahoma-Colorado, Iowa State-Kansas, Kansas State-Oklahoma State, and Texas-Baylor. (NU/MU and A&M/TT look like the likely candidates for ABC and ESPN broadcasts.) November 6th has Nebraska-Iowa State, Kansas State-Texas, Oklahoma State-Baylor, Texas A&M-Oklahoma, Texas Tech-Missouri, and Kansas-Colorado. (A&M/OU and TT/MU look like the most likely candidates.) November 20th has Nebraska-Texas A&M, Texas Tech-Weber State, Kansas-Oklahoma State, Colorado-Kansas State, Iowa State-Missouri, Oklahoma-Baylor, and Texas-Florida Atlantic. (After NU/A&M, none look too big on the 20th.)

These dates are just placeholders, and ESPN will move them if a matchup looks more compelling as the game approaches. Especially that November 20th window. I do wonder if ESPN isn't eyeing Missouri at Nebraska for that October 30th 8:15 pm window. (Uggh. I hate 8:15 kickoffs.)

I don't believe ABC wants to televise Texas at Nebraska at 2:30 pm. ABC has already scheduled Iowa at Michigan for 2:30 pm as part of the regional broadcast. With Nebraska's move to the Big Ten, there will be more interest in Big Ten country to see the Huskers, and they won't want this game on pay-per-view in Big Ten country if Nebraska and Texas are undefeated.

I still think it'll be a morning kickoff on ABC or an evening kickoff on ESPN, when all is said and done, if Nebraska is undefeated when Texas comes to town."

http://huskermike.blogspot.com/2010/08/lee-barfknecht-says-nuut-at-230-pm-i.html

I compeletely agree with huskermikes blog. Its either 11am or 8:15 on ESPN. I just dont see how this game if NU and Texas are undefeated or one loss on their records would be a 2:30 regional game with Iowa/Michigan being the other. That makes absolutely no sense at all. I can live with 2:30 kickoff, but this game deserves to be at night.

I dont think people realize ESPN can move their TV windows around to pickup games.

I remeber reading somewhere recently that the major televised game were already scheduled. Is it possible that this game doesn't even get the attention it deserves? Is there a possibility that the scheduled games are changed in order to put this one in the spotlight?

I would think (and hope) that this should be considered one of the games of the week and deserve the national attention at either midday or evening

I believe that if both teams are undefeated heading into this game that it will be on at night--some kind of schedule change will put in on ESPN or something. Nobody wants to give a definite time because let's face it, if Nebraska or Texas or both teams have a couple losses, this game isn't quite as appealing to anybody outside of Nebraska/Texas fan base. I'll never in a million years defend putting NASCAR on above college football, but hey, to each their own I guess.

I believe that if both teams are undefeated heading into this game that it will be on at night--some kind of schedule change will put in on ESPN or something. Nobody wants to give a definite time because let's face it, if Nebraska or Texas or both teams have a couple losses, this game isn't quite as appealing to anybody outside of Nebraska/Texas fan base. I'll never in a million years defend putting NASCAR on above college football, but hey, to each their own I guess.

I think they will end up finding a open spot for the game if they want it night. FWIW, the nascar race has been on saturday on this particular weekend for at least 5-6 years. ESPN and Nebraska did try to move the game to Thursday. This was the reason why. But, this game shouldve already had a set kickoff time set, like our UW and Colorado game.