Big 10 Divisions revealed today

CornHunka

we will always have a tough schedule, but not an unfair one. iowa got out of all this a little easy, if you ask me.

I will certainly not disagree with you that we got off easy. I for one am very dissapointed that they didn't at least give us Wisconsin on the rotation for the next 2 years. Wisconsin could play Iowa and Nebraska to balance out with Ohio State playing Michigan and Nebraska and then Iowa would have had Wisconsin and Penn State. Would have been much more balanced.

On the flip side - as you lose Wisconsin and Ohio State in 13 and 14 we will pick them up so it will flip on the insane crossover part.

yeah. it was probably pretty tough getting everything to shake out. i just thought it was rotten for you and the rest of the division that you got a weak cross-divisional rival, but how else would it have worked out. even though penn. st. is a pretty tough cross-divisional rival, it is also more exciting, so i cannot complain.

• 2 weeks later...

Not particularly happy with splitting tOSU and Michigan into different divisions. I'm an "all the marbles" kind of guy when it comes to THE Game.

In the immediate future, I look forward to welcoming Nebraska to the Big Ten with my Bucks coming to Lincoln. I'm hoping that my grandfather-in-law has an extra ticket available for me.

Why does splitting them matter? I've never understood this argument by people. They will be playing each other every year with the chance to meet again in the championship game.

Them being in the same division and knocking the other out of the CCG does not equate to playing for all the marbles like the CCG would.

Why does splitting them matter? I've never understood this argument by people. They will be playing each other every year with the chance to meet again in the championship game.

Them being in the same division and knocking the other out of the CCG does not equate to playing for all the marbles like the CCG would.

I think that's the point. I think the idea that at least if it could mean knocking the other out of the CCG, then it would retain some of its importance.

But right now it's all theoretical anyway. I don't see Michigan in the CCG for some time and by the time they are good enough, we'll probably have 2-4 more teams in the conference and there will be another division realignment.

I think that's the point. I think the idea that at least if it could mean knocking the other out of the CCG, then it would retain some of its importance.

But right now it's all theoretical anyway. I don't see Michigan in the CCG for some time and by the time they are good enough, we'll probably have 2-4 more teams in the conference and there will be another division realignment.

I very much agree, riot. I think Expansion is far from over. We'll see 16-team conferences before the end of the decade.

IF both teams are in the same conference, and IF both teams play the last game of the year; THEN it most resembles the impact that the game has had for the last century. Now, since the decision was made, I'm glad to see that the intra-conference games DO count in the overall division standings; THUS, there is some importance (however, it's still not ideal in my eyes). I don't want to play Michigan twice in the same year. I want THE GAME to be a once-and-for-all each year.

Quite probably so. I doubt that they (the Big Ten brass) would re-align it with regards to Ohio State-Michigan though.

Ultimately, I view the way this played out as "okay". It's not the best, but it could have been a LOT worse.

I very much agree, riot. I think Expansion is far from over. We'll see 16-team conferences before the end of the decade.

For the Big10?

Grab four east coast teams for JoPa?

I agree as well. And a 9 game conference schedule changes a lot of this stuff as well. And it looks as if that is 100% going to happen.

For the Big10?

What 4 teams could they add without watering down the conference?

ND would be a great add but is this likely? Probably not.

Pitt - I guess I could stomach them but they are usually average at best.

Rutgers - 10 minutes of fame is over.

WVU - heard concerns about academic quality.

Maryland - avg at FB, good Bball add.

VT - would be great but would they leave the ACC?

Missouri - possibly - capture St. Louis market.

For the Big10?

What 4 teams could they add without watering down the conference?

ND would be a great add but is this likely? Probably not.

Pitt - I guess I could stomach them but they are usually average at best.

Rutgers - 10 minutes of fame is over.

WVU - heard concerns about academic quality.

Maryland - avg at FB, good Bball add.

VT - would be great but would they leave the ACC?

Missouri - possibly - capture St. Louis market.

Possibly UCONN or Boston College. None of these teams are elite caliber teams (with the possible exceptions of Notre Dame and VT), but they are still better than the bottom of the barrel teams like Northwestrn or Illinois.

My best bet would be ND, Missouri, Rutgers and either Pitt or Syracuse. I think that ND is just waiting to see what kind of deal they can get on their next round of negotiations and when they don't get what they want the brass will use the excuse to finally get what they want and join the B10. The thing about ND is that the staff and leadership at the school have wanted to join the B10 for several years now but the alumni/doner backlash has prevented it. At some point the scales will tip to the point that it becomes more financially feasable for them to take the hit on the donations in order to move forward.

I worry about adding teams from the east - not as many good teams and the Big 10 is a midwestern conference. I would consider PSU/Centeral PA the eastern boundary of the midwest. I would like see any new teams come from the midwest but there could be some market share advantages in the east. My selections would be based on having decent teams, schools and from a business side drawing on large markets. Something the B10 definitly has an advantage over the SEC in. The question would be do you want to go after the NY and NE market and have some lesser teams or go after the big boys of the B12 remanents like OU, Missouri,KS. My four would be:

1. ND - on the rise? and huge following.

2. Missouri - St. Louis & KC markets

3. Pitt - decent team and could draw better recruits in the B10. Also have the Pittsburgh market and give PSU and good rival.

4. Kansas - great for BB and possibly for FB and round out the "western Big 10 block" (NE, Iowa, MO, KS).

If ND is a no go, then go after Rutgers for the NY market or OU.

It only took 4 years for the SWC to disband after texas drove Arkansas out, it will just be a matter of time before the big 12 follows the same pattern. The WAC doesn't stand a chace and so on and so on. your end of decade prediction may be a little too short of time frame, but at the very most by 2025 it will be the super confrences