BSU as a Model

robsker

So they beat a team that would be the 4th or 3rd best team in the Big 12 this year and will be the toughest team they play all year.

The question is at what point does the strength of schedule difference between two teams allow one loss to surpass undefeated? Undefeated should be a gold standard so going undefeated should carry a lot of weight. (A play off would solve this issue but that is for another thread) Perhaps this year Boise should get the Nod (schools in the BCS only need one undefeated season) if Boise is still undefeated at the end of the year (and 2 BCS teams are not) they should play for the NC not based on this year and last (even though last year should not matter) They should get go up against Ohio, Florida, or the Undefeated Huskers. (Of course I would change my tune if they bump a one loss big 12 champ Nebraska).

But why does Boise deserve the chance to go up against Alabama, Florida, (or even Nebraska) when they play in a significantly weaker conference and only play one good team each season before their bowl game? It doesn't seem fair for one team to have to subject themselves to an ENTIRELY different level of play, and then have them go up against a good football program that played cupcakes most of the year.

So they beat a team that would be the 4th or 3rd best team in the Big 12 this year and will be the toughest team they play all year.

The question is at what point does the strength of schedule difference between two teams allow one loss to surpass undefeated? Undefeated should be a gold standard so going undefeated should carry a lot of weight. (A play off would solve this issue but that is for another thread) Perhaps this year Boise should get the Nod (schools in the BCS only need one undefeated season) if Boise is still undefeated at the end of the year (and 2 BCS teams are not) they should play for the NC not based on this year and last (even though last year should not matter) They should get go up against Ohio, Florida, or the Undefeated Huskers. (Of course I would change my tune if they bump a one loss big 12 champ Nebraska).

But why does Boise deserve the chance to go up against Alabama, Florida, (or even Nebraska) when they play in a significantly weaker conference and only play one good team each season before their bowl game? It doesn't seem fair for one team to have to subject themselves to an ENTIRELY different level of play, and then have them go up against a good football program that played cupcakes most of the year.

agreed, nebraska really blew it by going to the big 10, we should have tried to get into the wac and schedule mizzou and miami every year. i guess those two teams should be enough to earn a spot in a championship game.

does every acc team that beats va. tech this year get to also go to the championship game?

The other side of the coin is should Boise State be punished for putting together a BCS quality program out of a lesser conference? If they are merely a good program that feasts on cupcakes, no major conference team should be afraid to play them. But they are. Every spotlight game that asks whether Boise State belongs with the big boys, Boise State answers the bell. And every year these lesser conferences produce teams that "shock" the legacy programs. Had Ball State beat Nebraska four years ago (and they should have) it wouldn't have been an upset. Ask Bo Pelini whether Nebraska could look past a Hawaii or Fresno State on the schedule. Or apparently Utah State. And let's see how we do with Idaho. And our big test against Washington, a second tier Pac 10 team along with Oregon State.

Not to say I don't believe in strength of schedule, but as I said that's already part of the BCS formula. And looking at what a tough slog it is through the SEC, should a one or two loss SEC team get the nod over a one loss Big 12 team?

Slippery slope. That's all I'm saying.

As of right now, and as of week 3, yes BSU would beat NU. Now by week 10 or so, it could be a different story with the maturation of Martinez and the young linebackers.

Unlikely, mostly because we don't have and almost certainly will not have a qb with anything near the talent of the BSU kid. But I also think that if BSU were in the big 12 south they would not be talked about as NC material. This year it is also folly for NU IMO.

What I want to know is...

How in the hell can any of you say for sure that BSU would do worse than Alabama or Florida or any other team if they had their schedule?

Wait, I got it. They don't play a bunch of tough teams, so therefore their conditioning sucks, and their players will be too worn down to win anything at the end.

I guarantee BSU could roll through our schedule this year just as easily as we could.

How in the hell can any of you say for sure that BSU would do worse than Alabama or Florida or any other team if they had their schedule?

Wait, I got it. They don't play a bunch of tough teams, so therefore their conditioning sucks, and their players will be too worn down to win anything at the end.

I guarantee BSU could roll through our schedule this year just as easily as we could.

that's not the point, the point is, how many undefeated teams would there be if everyone had their schedule? 4-5 big 12 teams? 4-5 big 10 teams? 5-6 sec teams? 3-4 acc teams?

that's not the point, the point is, how many undefeated teams would there be if everyone had their schedule? 4-5 big 12 teams? 4-5 big 10 teams? 5-6 sec teams? 3-4 acc teams?

That doesn't matter. They have shown time and time again that they can play with the big boys.

Is it their fault they are in the WAC conference and the conference for the most part sucks.

People can say the same thing about the North in the Big 12.

As I said, BSU could roll through our schedule this year just as easily as we could.

That doesn't matter. They have shown time and time again that they can play with the big boys.

Is it their fault they are in the WAC conference and the conference for the most part sucks.

As I said, BSU could roll through our schedule this year just as easily as we could.

Yes, it is their fault. Their university is completely unappealing aside from the football program. Terrible academics, bad facilities, no other relevant sports. The Big 12 North isn't remotely comparable to the WAC, so that's just a stupid comparison. Especially when you conveniently ignore that there are always 3 Big 12 South teams on the schedule every year AND a conference championship game.

so beating va. tech is an automatic ticket to the national championship game? anyone can beat anyone on any given day.

Maybe joining the Big 10 was a big mistake. Since Boise State is joining the Mountain West, I believe that Nebraska should've took that opportunity to replace Boise State in the WAC so we could run thru that non BCS conference and play in the MNC just the way Boise State will probably do this year.

so beating va. tech is an automatic ticket to the national championship game? anyone can beat anyone on any given day.

No, but they are a quality football team who could win just as many games as any other major conference school with a tougher schedule. If BSU beats the two tougher opponents on the schedule(VT/OSU) and then murders everybody else, they deserve it. If they squeek passed a few of the teams but still stay undefeated then no they dont.

Style points matter in BSUs scenario more than any other.

I just want BSU to get to the title game so they can win and all the haters can STFU. Ya'll need to take off the rose colored glasses and stop being scared the BSU will get in over NU if we are in that position.

why do you say that? because they can win one big game a year? after weeks of preparation for that one game?

what if va. tech goes on to lose three more games? not quite the marquee game everyone expected. and ore. st. will have at least 5 losses (they have a brutal schedule, and bsu is probably the 3rd, 4th toughest team they play).

why do you say that? because they can win one big game a year? after weeks of preparation for that one game?

what if va. tech goes on to lose three more games? not quite the marquee game everyone expected. and ore. st. will have at least 5 losses (they have a brutal schedule, and bsu is probably the 3rd, 4th toughest team they play).

The same applies to the opposite. How do you know they couldn't? How do you know that they NEED those weeks of preparation or that they just happen to have them? My problem with people on BSU is that they only look on one side of the argument. There's no way that BSU could actually be good and compete week in and week out, Nooooo. They would suck, they need weeks of preparation to win any kind of big game. Yeah.

I just hate the unsolicited hate that BSU gets.

The same applies to the opposite. How do you know they couldn't? How do you know that they NEED those weeks of preparation or that they just happen to have them? My problem with people on BSU is that they only look on one side of the argument. There's no way that BSU could actually be good and compete week in and week out, Nooooo. They would suck, they need weeks of preparation to win any kind of big game. Yeah.

I just hate the unsolicited hate that BSU gets.

i do not hate them, and i think i am seeing both sides of this issue quite well. the point is that you have to earn a chance at the national championship. you should not have to just beat va. tech and oregon st. and then play what basically amounts to most teams non-conf. schedules and waltz into the championship game. it is the systems fault, that is what i am ragging on, i do not care about the team, it just so happens to be bsu that so excellently illustrates the problems with the system.

Boise's SOS for the past ten years:

2000 - 107

2001 - 98

2002 - 112

2003 - 103

2004 - 78

2005 - 98

2006 - 90

2007 - 113

2008 - 94

2009 - 96

You are fooling yourself if you think these weak schedules have no impact on Boise's success.

I'm glad somebody looked into this and posted it.

I don't hate on Boise but not all division 1 is created equal and this shows it