BSU as a Model

robsker

What I want to know is...

How in the hell can any of you say for sure that BSU would do worse than Alabama or Florida or any other team if they had their schedule?

Wait, I got it. They don't play a bunch of tough teams, so therefore their conditioning sucks, and their players will be too worn down to win anything at the end.

I guarantee BSU could roll through our schedule this year just as easily as we could.

that's not the point, the point is, how many undefeated teams would there be if everyone had their schedule? 4-5 big 12 teams? 4-5 big 10 teams? 5-6 sec teams? 3-4 acc teams?

That doesn't matter. They have shown time and time again that they can play with the big boys.

Is it their fault they are in the WAC conference and the conference for the most part sucks.

People can say the same thing about the North in the Big 12.

As I said, BSU could roll through our schedule this year just as easily as we could.

why do you say that? because they can win one big game a year? after weeks of preparation for that one game?

what if va. tech goes on to lose three more games? not quite the marquee game everyone expected. and ore. st. will have at least 5 losses (they have a brutal schedule, and bsu is probably the 3rd, 4th toughest team they play).

The same applies to the opposite. How do you know they couldn't? How do you know that they NEED those weeks of preparation or that they just happen to have them? My problem with people on BSU is that they only look on one side of the argument. There's no way that BSU could actually be good and compete week in and week out, Nooooo. They would suck, they need weeks of preparation to win any kind of big game. Yeah.

I just hate the unsolicited hate that BSU gets.

i do not hate them, and i think i am seeing both sides of this issue quite well. the point is that you have to earn a chance at the national championship. you should not have to just beat va. tech and oregon st. and then play what basically amounts to most teams non-conf. schedules and waltz into the championship game. it is the systems fault, that is what i am ragging on, i do not care about the team, it just so happens to be bsu that so excellently illustrates the problems with the system.

As I said, thats why style points matter to BSU, if theres a couple close games within conf play then they don't deserve it, but if they roll through and murder everyone then it gives them more pull, and deservedly so.

Which is why I root for their to be a BCS buster, as maybe if BSU or another non BCS team got into the championship and won then something could start to change.

What I want to know is...

How in the hell can any of you say for sure that BSU would do worse than Alabama or Florida or any other team if they had their schedule?

Wait, I got it. They don't play a bunch of tough teams, so therefore their conditioning sucks, and their players will be too worn down to win anything at the end.

I guarantee BSU could roll through our schedule this year just as easily as we could.

that's not the point, the point is, how many undefeated teams would there be if everyone had their schedule? 4-5 big 12 teams? 4-5 big 10 teams? 5-6 sec teams? 3-4 acc teams?

That doesn't matter. They have shown time and time again that they can play with the big boys.

Is it their fault they are in the WAC conference and the conference for the most part sucks.

People can say the same thing about the North in the Big 12.

As I said, BSU could roll through our schedule this year just as easily as we could.

why do you say that? because they can win one big game a year? after weeks of preparation for that one game?

what if va. tech goes on to lose three more games? not quite the marquee game everyone expected. and ore. st. will have at least 5 losses (they have a brutal schedule, and bsu is probably the 3rd, 4th toughest team they play).

The same applies to the opposite. How do you know they couldn't? How do you know that they NEED those weeks of preparation or that they just happen to have them? My problem with people on BSU is that they only look on one side of the argument. There's no way that BSU could actually be good and compete week in and week out, Nooooo. They would suck, they need weeks of preparation to win any kind of big game. Yeah.

That's my point. I don't give a sh#t if BSU is undefeated or not, I just hate the unsolicited hate that BSU gets.

i do not hate them, and i think i am seeing both sides of this issue quite well. the point is that you have to earn a chance at the national championship. you should not have to just beat va. tech and oregon st. and then play what basically amounts to most teams non-conf. schedules and waltz into the championship game. it is the systems fault, that is what i am ragging on, i do not care about the team, it just so happens to be bsu that so excellently illustrates the problems with the system.

Which is why I root for their to be a BCS buster, as maybe if BSU or another non BCS team got into the championship and won then something could start to change.

[/b]

i am with you on busting the bcs, but as for the bold statement, would not a one loss ohio st., bama, nu, or ou that got left out of the national championship be a team getting jobbed? someone is going to get screwed, so it boils down to who deserves a chance more, and i think the teams that go through a full season of competitive play deserves it more.

i think we agree in principle, just not in the particulars.

all i care about is seeing NU in the national championship, whatever happens beyond that, who cares. (although, i do get tired of hearing so much about bsu.)

Ok so I did some research and this is what I have found this is a Historical scores for Boise State.

The 2001 loss vs #21 South Carolina @ Columbia, SC, 2001 Win vs #8 Fresno State @ Fresno, CA.

The 2003 Win vs. #19 TCU @ Fort Worth, TX in the Fort Worth Bowl.

2004 Loss vs. #8 Louisville @ Memphis, TN in the Liberty Bowl.

2005 Loss vs. #13 Georgia @ Athens, GA, 2005 2nd Loss #19 Boston College in Boise, Idaho in the MPC Computers Bowl.

2006 Win vs. #10 Oklahoma @ Glendale, AZ in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl.

2007 Loss vs. #13 Hawaii @ Honolulu, HI

2008 Win vs. #17 Oregon @ Eugene, OR, 2008 Win vs. Fresno State @ home, 2008 Loss vs. #11 TCU @ San Diego, CA in the Poinsettia Bowl.

2009 Win vs. #16 Oregon at Home, 2009 Win vs. #4 TCU in the Fiesta Bowl.

2010 Win vs. #10 Virginia Tech @ Washington D.C.

8-6 since 2000 against Top 25 teams. 5 of those 8 wins are either True away games or Neutral. Since 2006 they are 6-2. So even though they compete in a non-major conference I have come to the conclusion that if they were to play in a MNC game. I mean to be honest, who actually thought that when Virginia Tech score that late FG or whatever that Boise State would actually make a comeback. I sure as heck didn't.

I think Boise State is a legit good team and deserving of their ranking. If they were in a better conference they wouldn't have as many wins but they would still be a really good team. If they were in the Big 12 I would bet money on them winning the conference this year.

:facepalm:

Boise has a great team out of the gates this season returning all those starters. As the season goes on the other teams catch up with improvement. Let's just give Boise our schedule since it's so favorable (according to the pundits). KSU plays physical football. Then follow that up with superior talent in texas. Okst with a stud TB. Missouri is a nice challenge. I don't see them surviving this. Or we can go extreme and give them our schedule next season...

Several things to address....

It was mentioned about a neutral site for the VT game Monday....let's face it...any stadium not your own is ...well different. VT didn't have the advantage of playing in their house. Sure they had fan support and such but it's just something to consider.

Boise beating us....hmmm....not sure about giving them the nod. Bo is pretty clever with his schemes. That offense would see something they're not used to.

Boise deserves no title shot at this point. Respect sure. To give them a shot over any one loss BCS conference team (other than VT) would be a disgrace.

And finally the one game playoff wouldn't solve this for everyone because I don't believe they would even deserve to be in the playoff.

It was a nice win for them. Although I really hate it when the refs make ticky tack calls when the game is on the line. Boise had time and still may have won but it's just frustrating to see a game influenced like that.

Imagine if Ohio State played against VaTech last night and then played an entire WAC schedule. How pissed would everybody be when Ohio State would (inevitably) be undefeated every year? That's the exact same scenario people are defending Boise for.

GREAT point! But no one ever looks at it that way.

Also, how would everybody feel if Nebraska had one loss this year (let's say to Texas A&M) but won the Big 12 title. Would people be O.K. with an undefeated Boise State jumping us to play in the MNC game?

For all the people defending Boise State....I'd like you all to look at the bold statement above and then answer.

Try this scenerio. How about Ohio State is undefeated and Alabama loses one game in the regular season but wins the SEC Championship against a Florida team thats ranked in the top 10 but Boise State is undefeated.

Who should play Ohio State in the MNC game?

Depends which game Alabama lost to.

And if NU lost one game and BSU wins out, then Id say give it to BSU.

Everybody can sit and whine/moan about how BSU does not play a hard schedule except almost everytime they have come out and played a top 10 team, they win. Can we say that? Not unless we go about 10-15 years back. Can you say 100% BSU would lose 2+ games a year if they played in the big 12 or any other big conference? Nope, you can't. It's amazing the kind of complaining that goes on about BSU when they have actually stepped up and beat the teams that we need to but can't.

Give me a break people.

The way you guys played in your bowl game, you would have beaten BSU last January. BSU beat TCU, who beat????? Utah and Clemson? Utah had lost their assistant coaches and TCU struggled against Clemson. TCU had the 60th toughest schedule in the nation and BSU had the 96th toughest schedule - and that is when you include their game against TCU. But I think Virginia Tech's loss to a no-name school today may have put this topic to rest.

Not real glad to see VT lose to James Madison but was really glad to see VT lay that egg against a lower tier team like James Madison to hurt Boise States SOS. Boise State who had what 17 return starters barely beat VT who only had 4 return starters on defense and this same VT team that lost to James Madison today.....take that Boise.