Old Habbits Die Hard

epocSoN

WE b---- if we play vanilla. We b---- when the kids make mistakes.

We put up what 400 yards of offense, how many times last year?

We b----- about the QB play, we b----- about coaching.

Give it a rest, next week will be different.

amen. our offense is averaging almost 500 yards of offense in the first two games. there is waaaayyyy too much pessimism going on here.

First 2 games in 2009...

In 2009 we scored 49 and 38 to open the year, same as 2010.

In 2009 we averaged 492 Yards Per Game in the first two games, in 2010 we've average 503.5.

In 2009 we had 8 tries in the red zone and scored 7 TD's and 1 FG. In 2010 we got the ball in the red zone 11 times, scoring only 6 TD's and 1 FG, we've had 4 drives where we didn't even put up points in the red zone, which was a big problem in the collapse last year.

In 2009 we put the ball on the turf once, and got it back, and threw one pick. In 2010 we've put the ball on the turf 10 times, and lost 5, plus the INT.

In 2009 we had 126 yards penalties, in 2010 we've had 198.

In 2009 we were 12 of 23 (52%) on third downs, in 2010 we are 9 of 19 (47%).

Statistically NU was better last year through 2 games, and we saw what happened after that facepalm.gif

To be fair, the first string qb and the top 2 RB's got hurt also.

Our offense will be in trouble in conference play. I don't see any differences between last year's offense and this year's offense so far. The o-line is still undisciplined, the power running game is a joke, and now we have a QB that is pretty much one dimensional. Yeah, he can throw a little bit, but nothing that would be seen as much of a threat to defenses.

I see us in a similar situation as we were last year. Hopefully our defense can be elite once again to get us through games.

His user name says it all...he must be bored trying to stir the pot

And as for the posters calling out Watson for changing the plays all the time....i think its good for the cupcakes. Sure we could have run the option read 30 times and Taylor could have scored 5TD with 250 yrds rushing and you all would be kissing his feet. Why do that vs Idaho...Why? give Helu 35 carries WHY? So YOU can feel good about YOUR Huskers...give me a break, its not the TO era anymore people. BOs not going to run up the score. We have more then just the option now. In years past we would just line up and say stop us and win 70-3. Its not like that anymore you Old Timers. We save our playbook(and players)for when it matters. Anyone can see we are running a very basic Offense and Defense. When we need Taylor to run it 25 times for 200yrds he will. When we need to blitz and run line stunts...we will, why give film when you dont have to. Bo is smart...he knows playing time is crucial right now for the young guys.... not scoring 70 pts to please you guys.

Our offense will be in trouble in conference play. I don't see any differences between last year's offense and this year's offense so far. The o-line is still undisciplined, the power running game is a joke, and now we have a QB that is pretty much one dimensional. Yeah, he can throw a little bit, but nothing that would be seen as much of a threat to defenses.

I see us in a similar situation as we were last year. Hopefully our defense can be elite once again to get us through games.

And as for the posters calling out Watson for changing the plays all the time....i think its good for the cupcakes. Sure we could have run the option read 30 times and Taylor could have scored 5TD with 250 yrds rushing and you all would be kissing his feet. Why do that vs Idaho...Why? give Helu 35 carries WHY? So YOU can feel good about YOUR Huskers...give me a break, its not the TO era anymore people. BOs not going to run up the score. We have more then just the option now. In years past we would just line up and say stop us and win 70-3. Its not like that anymore you Old Timers. We save our playbook(and players)for when it matters. Anyone can see we are running a very basic Offense and Defense. When we need Taylor to run it 25 times for 200yrds he will. When we need to blitz and run line stunts...we will, why give film when you dont have to. Bo is smart...he knows playing time is crucial right now for the young guys.... not scoring 70 pts to please you guys.

Sorry, but there's no excuse for getting STUFFED by freakin "Idaho" on 3rd & 4th down short runs. Like we're saving a power running game that actually works for the good teams?

I don't think so. But then I'm just an "old timer".....I'll let you "modern" fans tell me how that's just fine.

Sorry, but there's no excuse for getting STUFFED by freakin "Idaho" on 3rd & 4th down short runs. Like we're saving a power running game that actually works for the good teams?

I don't think so. But then I'm just an "old timer".....I'll let you "modern" fans tell me how that's just fine.

we can pass. t-mart has been money on the short outs and slants. a little play action. lesson learned.

we can pass. t-mart has been money on the short outs and slants. a little play action. lesson learned.

Sure, that works too. But again, being an "old timer" I think we must be able to gain one or two yds on the ground when we have to.

I love trying some new looks. Especially when you're up 31 -3.

But while last year it would have been both fun and sensible getting a snap directly to an elusive speedster like Niles Paul, it makes less sense this year when your quarterback already has Paul's skillset and then some.

Exactly.

WE b---- if we play vanilla. We b---- when the kids make mistakes.

We put up what 400 yards of offense, how many times last year?

We b----- about the QB play, we b----- about coaching.

Give it a rest, next week will be different.

amen. our offense is averaging almost 500 yards of offense in the first two games. there is waaaayyyy too much pessimism going on here.

I agree. way too much!!! I'm reading how Tmart is cocky, blah blah blah. Damn, let em play. We need our swagger back. And this is the 2nd game, we need to continue to work to get better. I mean really????? How many yards of offense did we have??? How many quick sixes on defense?? And we want to focus on the negative. Look back a few years...and look at where we are now....are we there yet??? Not yet, but damn close.

Sure, that works too. But again, being an "old timer" I think we must be able to gain one or two yds on the ground when we have to.

that is absolutely true. we have to win the trenches. no excuse for not being able to pick up one or two yds to get the first or td.

Nope, just going off last year where people were saying we had the best offense to ever be assembled in Division I football during our first few games, only to sputter and completly stall during Big 12 play. Great. We have an explosive running QB. What's going to happen when teams put eight or nine in the box and stuff the zone read? Will he be able to pass effectively enough to move the ball? Based off the last two performances, I don't know that, so I'm not just going to assume everything will be okay. The offensive coaches, unlike the defensive coaches, have shown me nothing to make me think everything will be fine on offense. I don't know..maybe I'm missing something. Maybe suddenly we have really great offensive coaches.

Sorry buddy, but you should almost always be able to gain one yard when you need it. We got stuffed on every power running play we tried including two plays where we only needed a yard. This was IDAHO. If we get stuffed by Idaho, what's going to happen when the defenders get bigger and faster?

And you act like our offense was great against Idaho. It wasn't. Yards are great but they don't win games. Sure we were up 38 to 17, but 14 of those points were from our defense. Our offense put the ball on the ground EIGHT times, but luckily only lost three of those. Who knows what would have happened if Idaho players were lucky enough to be in the right place for the other five fumbles. Sorry, but that's unacceptable, and we won't win many games with that many turnovers.

We have more than the option? Really? All of our offensive scores were from the zone read option. Most of our big plays the last two weeks were from the zone read option. Taylor maybe had two or three passes that were for over 20 yards. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I was just curious what you saw that tells you we "have more than just the option now". Is Watson just sitting on some great plays that are waiting to be unleashed...just like he did last year? Sorry, but with this offense it has become "I'll believe it when I see it" for me.

Basically what I was trying to say is that through two games, it's the same undisciplined offense I saw on the field last year, but we have added a fast QB. This can obviously change, but I can only go off what I have seen, not what might happen.

Putting a fumbling machine at qb like Paul.....well, that's vintage SW.

We have no identity whatsoever. Still just a "jack of all trades & master of none". Yeah, of course the SW apologists will rip me for saying this but it's the truth as I see it. Watching us get stuffed on 3rd & 4th and short by...."Idaho" just doesn't inspire me.

Yes, putting Paul at QB.... what about the 4 times that your boy Martinez is down for putting the ball on the turf?

You talking about "Touchdown" Taylor Martinez? The RS Freshman with 5 TD's and on the cover of SI CFB addition today?

Is that who? I will take the fumbles over the -2 yard on each carry last year. Sorry, just saying.

Why would the coaching staff show all of their cards when they don't have to? A little failure is good for the motivation. The OL may need to be a little bit embarrassed in order to fight a little harder during the rest of the year. I wouldn't even be surprised if the staff was trying to handcuff them a bit in order to keep them from becoming overconfident.

Nobody trains all year to win the pre-season games...